6,959 Reviews
 (4,279)
 (1,051)

4,501 of 4,601 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy!
Customer Video Review     Length:: 3:35 Mins
When I first reviewed this, I gave it four stars (I'm a hesitant five-star giver), but having now used it for two weeks, it gets the fully approved 5-star love.

Published on August 16, 2011 by Art History Professor

3.0 out of 5 stars still unsure
I am not sure if i like these things or not. As of this writing I have not been able to make a cup of coffee equal to the pre-made k-cups. Its either too strong or too weak. Usage wise it is fine. very easy to clean. top stays shut. it fits fine in our machine. I think these little devices are very sensitive to the grind level. The say use drip grind but that has not been...
Published on September 7, 2011 by Craig M. Schmidt

4,501 of 4,601 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy!, August 16, 2011
Art History Professor (The wonderful Midwest) - See all my reviews
Length:: 3:35 Mins

[Update on 4 November 2012: I've had my two Ekobrews now for more than 15 months and I couldn't be happier. Thanks to all for the kind words about my review; I'm glad this has been helpful for most]

1,310 of 1,346 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Works great! But how does it compare to Solofill?.... Read on, September 2, 2011
This review is from: Ekobrew Cup, Refillable Cup for Keurig K-cup Brewers, Brown, 1-Count (Grocery)
This Ecobrew reusable Keurig K-cup is great for brewing your own coffee. It seems to have been very well designed and is easy to use. One of the things I felt bad about when I bought my Keurig coffee maker was the fact that although it was a great convenient coffee maker... it does tend to produce lots of waste when you buy the disposable k-cups. I think this product also ends up saving you lots of money in the long run too. K-cups can be quite expensive. I really love this product and I really can't find anything bad to say about it. There is another product called the Solofill that essentially does the same thing but is made from another company. I own both products and if you're curious to how they stack up against one another, check out the paragraph below. You may want to do research to make sure that your Keurig coffee maker is compatible with the EcoBrew or Solofill. I know that some K-cup coffee makers are not compatible with these products. I own the MR. Coffee single K-cup coffee maker and can say that it's compatible with both of these products. If you want to know more about the Mr. Coffee Keurig coffee maker, feel free to read my review on that as well :)

EcoBrew VS Solofill

First off, I'd like to state that I purchased both the Solofill and the Ecobrew. Both of these products are really great reusable Keurig filters that let you brew your own coffee in a Keurig coffee maker. These essentially let you make your own K-cups with your own coffee... and they're reusable! I would rate the Solofill as 4.5 Stars out of 5 and the Ecobrew as a 5 out of 5 Star Product. The Ecobrew is a bit better than the Solofill because it is easier to rinse out. The Solofill tends to collect grinds at the very bottom and it's very hard to get the few last grinds out. The Ecobrew also fits better in my Mr Coffee single cup K-cup brewer. The Ecobrew seems to have a slightly larger capacity for coffee grinds too, which may mean it's capable of brewing slightly stronger coffee. And lastly, the Ecobrew has a flat bottom that can sit on a counter top by itself. This makes it much easier to fill than the Solofill. With the Solofill, it couldn't be balanced on a table-top so I had to cut out the bottom of a small dixie cup to make my own "stand" in order to fill it properly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ekobrew Washer Hack, November 29, 2011
When first ordering a couple of ekobrew cups, I had high hopes that they would make my recent hand-me-down Keurig B44 a viable alternative to my Cuisinart drip machine. But, my hopes were quickly dashed upon first use. The second cup wasn't much better. Third time's a charm, right? Wrong. Things were just not good.

I experienced many of the same problems that are mentioned in other reviews: leaky, messy brew, and weak coffee. I was pretty disappointed in the prospects of my new Keurig adventure, but was also determined to make this work and, after some experimentation, I did. The solution is a tiny washer.

If you look inside the upper clamshell of your Keurig machine, you'll see the injector needle that punctures the top of standard k-cups. Around this needle is a gasket that presses against the top of k-cups to form a seal. This gasket is the problem. It does not put enough pressure on the cap of the ekobrew to form an adequate seal, causing water and coffee to spew out from the cap. To fix this, slide the gasket down and off of the injector needle (use caution as the needle is sharp), slide a washer up onto the needle, then slide the gasket back on. Your leaky, messy brew should now be a thing of the past.

The washer hack also made my coffee noticeably stronger, but additional solutions may be required to satisfy your desired strength. Prior to putting in the washer, I began tamping the coffee in the ekobrew cup. That helped, and I still continue to tamp even after the installation of the washer.

The washer I used is rubber, 1/16" thick, 5/32" inside diameter, and 3/8" outside diameter. Specifically, I used a washer from Lowes with item number 136493.

5.0 out of 5 stars This filter works PERFECT!, August 9, 2011
J. Goldman (Chalfont, Pa United States) - See all my reviews
Seriously, I love my Keurig. I love the convenience and the coffees. But what I don't love is buying $50 dollars worth of coffee every month. I tried the filter that Keurig gave me with my Platinum B70 model and it made my awesome Guatemalan Coffee I used to brew the "old fashion way" into a watered down mess no matter how fine I ground the bean or how much I reduced the cup size.

I was skeptical about buying another kcup filter when I saw this offered on Amazon, but the video add on the ekobrew website had me sold. I bought the ekobrew Cup before it was available for sale with high hopes, and it has totally lived up to my expectations! My freshly ground coffee tastes better than any Kcup I have ever had! I forgot how good some of the beans I bought were. No Joke. If you are like me and have a few roasts of beans you just love and don't feel like breaking the bank trying every kcup under the sun to find blends that please you then get it. You won't be sorry.

The only negative part is you have to rinse it out but that is no big deal. Just pop the top and tap it on the sink and the grinds come out then rinse. No scrubbing or anything. I may buy another to have one handy to fill while the other is brewing since I make about 3 Kcups worth of coffee in the morning to fill for two travel mugs for the wife and I. THANK YOU ekobrew!

5.0 out of 5 stars But we'll see how it goes, March 3, 2013
Avidproxy (Fall River, MA) - See all my reviews
I've been using the regular Ekobrew refillable k-cups for a while now and for the most part been satisfied with them. They've had to be replaced periodically because after a while the plastic 'hinge' breaks. Also, the silicone ring has been known to break (or mysteriously disappear), but then we use them a LOT here so I still would consider them durable overall considering the amount of use they get. They work well and are BPA free so I was happy enough with them. But I do try to cut down on plastics if I can.

When I saw the stainless steel refillable k-cups I felt this would be a better alternative for me to the all-plastic version and possibly alleviate the hinge breakage problem. This set comes with a metal coffee scoop which we also needed, so it was just what I was looking for. The scoop is not marked 'stainless' though I believe it is, and it has a very convenient clip attached so it won't get lost. :)

The stainless steel cups are shaped so that the pin in the Keurig that would normally pierce a k-cup doesn't get damaged when the cup is placed in the Keurig properly. These cups do not have screens - they have tiny holes on both sides and at the bottom of the cup for easy coffee flow.

Pros:

Like the standard Ekobrew refillable k-cups, you do not have to remove any pieces from your Keurig to use them. Just drop in the k-cup holder like you would with a regular k-cup. These cups are the same size as the standard Ekobrew refillables. I am using them in the Keurig B60.

The only plastic is on the inside lid and the small side 'handles', as shown in the pictures.

We use a regular coffee grind and what I have found is that with these cups there is almost no coffee 'silt' at the bottom of my cup (though if you use a finer grind your mileage may vary). You can actually drink that last sip! lol

The hinges are metal so I am hopeful with our regular use they will outlast the plastic refillable cups we have been using.

Cons:

There is no Fill Line inside these cups. If you rely on that to make your coffee, you may have to use the scoop as a guide. I use 1 scoop for my coffee - my husband uses 1-1/2. No problems brewing either way. The scoop is standard size and holds 1 level tablespoon of coffee.

If you usually just tap out the grounds from your k-cup after making your coffee, you may find these need to be rinsed out almost every time you use them. The holes are very small and do not release the wet grounds as easily as the regular refillables do.

---------

So far I am happy with this stainless set as they seem to be of good quality, though I'm still leary about the durability of the silicone rings on Ekobrew cups as that has been an issue before. If the ring holds up I will not regret having spent more money on these, especially since I am also cutting down on the plastics in my home and that is important to me. If you don't rely on a fill line to make your coffee and you like the idea of cutting back on plastics, I think you will like this set. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Expert Guidance: Review, Comparison and How to Use (been using these for 2 years), September 25, 2012
kc "kc31824" (STAMFORD, CT, United States) - See all my reviews
I've used Keurigs for about 7 years (before home models were being made) and reusable filter for 2 years). Here's what you need to know:

USE REUSABLES
These are better than disposables for a few reasons:
1. can get the coffee and/or blend of your choice - not limited to what comes in k-cups
2. costs much less per cup
3. less waste created / environmentally friendly
4. downside is inconvenience, but see HOW TO USE below for lessons learned from a veteran

WHICH ONE TO GET
Ekobrew is the best design. I've used solofill, Keurig's my k-cup, and ekobrew. All work ok but:

1. My Kcup has more parts to clean, leaked more grinds into the coffee too.

2. Solofill is good but not quite as good as ekobrew. Side walls and water distributor on ekobrew is better. And with the flat bottom, the ekobrew is easier to clean. Coffee grinds get annoyingly stuck in the bottom of the solofill, whereas the Ekobrew can be rinsed out in one shot. Solofill is probably fine if you make one cup a day and put it in the dishwasher. But I make a bunch and the inconvenience of the solofill cleaning was enough to make me prefer the disposables over it.

3. Ekobrew got the whole thing right. Side walls allow you to fill 2/3 with coffee and make an ideal brew - water has room to mix with the coffee. The water distributes very well through the perforated funnel on top. And cleaning is easy (see how to clean #5).

HOW TO USE - FOR CONVENIENCE AND GOOD COFFEE
This is actually really important. Until I got it down to a system by trial and error to have it (1) not take much extra time compared to a disposable and (2) tasting good (not weak), I kept going back and forth on using these vs. disposables for the convenience factor. But with these steps I am fully converted to using the reusables.

1. Put your ground coffee in a Tupperware container. I like something that will hold about a bag of coffee and is relatively deep (not wide and short) so it's easy to scoop out of it. This make it very convenient to scoop 2/3 of a container full of coffee, shake the extra back into the container. Keep it air tight in the cabinet with your mugs (or in the refrigerator). Much more convenient than trying to scoop from a bag or than using a spoon to scoop into the cup.

2. Blend your coffee if you like. If you're like me and drink lots of cups a day, using the tupperware method (1 above) allows very easy mixing. I pour half a bag of decaf and caffeinated each into the container and shake well. Use a somewhat stronger blend than you might otherwise get since Keurig brews fast I do find the final flavor is less strong than if you got the same at Starbucks for instance.

3. Scoop 2/3 of the ekobrew with coffee. You want the coffee just above the bottom of the sidewall so water won't seep out without going through the coffee, but not too high that there's no room for the coffee to push thru (it will leak out and around the sides then). Make sure your ekobrew is completely dry, and then you can scoop with it directly and not try to spoon it in). Wipe off the sides back into the tupperware and close.

4. Brew like a normal k-cup.

5. Cleaning. This is really important to keep it from being inconvenient and took a while to work out.
a. Do this right after brewing - do not let the grinds sit in the ekobrew or they will harden and be more difficult to clean out
b. Pick the ekobrew up by the top sides (not hot there) and you can walk it over to the sink over your brewed coffee so it doesn't drip on the counter / floor
c. Open the top and hold it upside down directly over the drain and low (so the grinds don't spread all over the place)
d. Rinse through the bottom with cold water, with the cup upside down. All the grinds should come out in one quick shot and go right down the drain
e. Shake and set to dry.

6. Have more than one of these if you like several cups a day. You have to wait until they are completely dry to reuse or else the scooping method (#3) won't work.

Using these steps above, I've completely replaced the disposables without it being materially less convenient. I get the coffee of my choice and its much less expensive, and there's no waste.

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars great design, August 9, 2011
Just got the Ekobrew today and tried it out. I have been a Solofill fan since they came out but the Ekobrew design seems to beat the Solofill. First off, the flat bottom makes it easy to fill. I usually run two cycles for a larger cup of coffee. With the Ekobrew the lid stays shut and doesn't leak water at the top. I was surprised how easily the grounds came out and just a quick rinse and it was ready to go again. Seems to be the best choice around for avoiding the high cost of K cups.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Product and Excellent Customer Service, August 19, 2011
B. Spoon (Woodstock, GA USA) - See all my reviews
At first, we did not get along. It spit and spewed in our B60 and made me mad that I had paid full price for two of these new K-cup replacements. Good coarse grind, check. No grounds around lid before closing, check. Not too full, check. Seated properly in Keurig, check.
My best guess was that the lid was not sealing properly because there was a little wiggle room when closed, so I contacted the company by email and asked if a replacement seal would help. I was delighted when they offered to send replacement Ekobrews. The next morning, we tried something different. We removed, cleaned and replaced the rubber piece that surrounds the needle that inserts into K-cups in the top of the machine. That helped, a lot. The next cup we decided to try turning the Ekobrew around so that the hinge was at the front of the machine. Perfection! I cannot explain why, but it worked. I did let them know right away that replacements were not necessary, but they were already in the mail!
We now have an alternative to K-cups that makes a great tasting cup of coffee, can handle enough to brew a nice strong travel mug full and is easy to fill and clean. We will continue buy K-cups when the price is right, but when it isn't we can still have great, single cup coffee without breaking the bank.
Just as a note, we tried the Solofill, which is a good product, but it just did not hold quite enough coffee for a happy mug.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, August 13, 2011
This one is well thought out - perfect in every way! I threw my old "My K-cup" out in the trash. Did you know that some of the new Keurig brewers, such as the B-40, were redesigned a little? Yes, and the new brewers don't allow the My K-Cups from Keurig to fit properly. I called Keurig on this - and their customer service team says "some of the brewers were redesigned with slight changes that don't allow the My K-Cups to fit. You have to move a small gasket down each time you switch between your K-Cups and your My K-Cup. We don't have a new My K-Cup that works - so you need to just use this "work around" for the time being." Now with my Eco-Brew - problems solved! That's because it's the exact same size as the K-Cups! No more changing the adapter in and out. It works better too! Coffee is stronger! No more "hole down the middle" with weak coffee and wasted grounds that were never used. Whoever designed this was a genius..... and too bad for Keurig they didn't think of it!

5.0 out of 5 stars AH-MAZING!!, August 11, 2011
WOW - we got our keurig as a gift and with the gift was a big box of the k-cups with all the eh, average tasting coffees...but once those ran out we would never be the people to spend that much money on coffee every month. so we have been using the solofil for about 8 months. we hated it and because of it, hated the keurig. the coffee we buy (the strongest roast from starbucks) was always watery and the solofil would leak all the time and it was such a pain to clean. but we put up with it. ENTER the ekobrew! omg this thing is amazing. i don't know what makes it so much different and i don't care -i just care that we get an amazing cup of coffee from our machine now! SUCH a difference. we used to use the solofil twice for one cup of coffee - we would make two of the smallest cups to make it as strong as possible. not anymore!! highly recommend! buying 2 more!