Ekobrew Does this coffee maker work with the ekobrew filters?
asked by Llhow on April 14, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 answers
A
votes
They work with the KG5, you just have to figure it out. I couldn't figure it out at first. I could not snap the lid down because the Ekobrew was just slightly too tall, so whenever I made coffee I put something heavy on top to keep the lid from popping open. But then, my wife pressed down on the front lip (trigger, button, whatever you want to call it) and then you hear it snap into place. That's all you gotta do! Hope you didn't throw them away!
M. Rodriguez answered on July 26, 2012

A
votes
Thank you M. Rodriguez! We saw one of these at Kroger on clearance. We had one of the original Keurig brewers that my husband bought when they first came out. We bought the Ekobrews because my husband hated dealing with the myk cup but they leaked horribly with our brewer and Ekobrew sent us replacements and they still leaked and then the brewer started leaking horribly with everything and it kinda died. So my husband wanted a replacement but we couldn't afford one until we saw this one. But we wanted it to work with Ekobrew. So taking your word for it we bought it, brought it home, followed your instructions and voila! The Ekobrew does actually work with it! Kudos to your wife!
Gadget answered on August 11, 2012

A
vote
Thank you M Rodriguez! I couldn't get the lid to shut with my Ecobrew filters and then I read your post and gave it one more try. Lets just hope it doesn't break the lid. So far so good. Thank you!
Lena L. answered on December 26, 2012

A
vote
I just got the (4) pack of Ekobrew filters. They do not work with the Mr. Coffee KG5. (sigh)
Stephen Long answered on May 3, 2012

A
vote
I was able to make it work but one should be very careful doing it. The Mr. Coffee's lid closing mechanism being made of plastic, I'm not sure how long it would take the pressure when closing the lid. I'm not just talking about the latch but the whole top part. Hopefully it would last a long time.
Amazon Customer answered on January 8, 2013

A
vote
The literature with the Ekobrew States NOT COMPATABLE WITH MR.COFFEE K5 PLUS SOME OF KEURIG BRAND. LID CAN BE FORCED CLOSED. BAD IDEA
Anna S. answered on January 30, 2013

A
votes
Unfortunately, the trick of pressing down on the front lever of the Mr. Coffee BVMC-KG5 didn't work for the version of this model that I purchased on 12/24/12. The lid on the Ekobrew is too thick for the top of the Mr. Coffee to close over it. The top of the Mr. Coffee closes at an angle to the brew chamber and hits the rear portion of the Ekobrew, leaving a gap between the top and bottom portions of the Mr. Coffee. The top and bottom needles of the Mr. Coffee line up perfectly with the Ekobrew, so I found that I can just squeeze the top and bottom portions of the Mr. Coffee brew chamber together and hold them closed while using the Ekobrew. The rubber gasket around the top needle still makes a good seal, and coffee brews without any leaks. I tried putting a rubber band around the top and bottom portions of the Mr. Coffee brew chamber to hold them closed, but it was too weak and couldn't hold the Mr. Coffee closed sufficiently to allow a brew to start.
chemwiz1 answered on January 4, 2013

A
votes
It does work with the solofill after market filter. Amazon has one but I cannot post the link here. It is red and similar to the ekobrew. It does sometimes leak a little but overall still a good alternative.
MrsFillinGame answered on October 15, 2013

A
votes
It has for me so far. When I replaced the gasket on the Ekobrew with a silcone rubber gasket (from eBay), it was easier to snap in place. I've done it for a month so far with no problems.
Dan B. Hodge answered on February 6, 2014

A
votes
I have used an ekobrew (plastic) reusable filter with my KG5 since I purchased it 18 months ago with no problems. As stated in other comments, it only takes a little extra pressure to close the lid. I only use the ekobrew when making a 6 oz second cup and use disposable K-cups when making 10 oz cups. I am currently shopping for a new reusable K-cup filter since I accidentally threw mine away and was curious what others had experienced since ecobrew.com web site indicates not compatible with KG5 model.
Eric G. Lippetz answered on May 1, 2014
‹ Previous   1   Next ›