Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL

on September 8, 2012
What a wonderful method of storytelling. The author used his journalistic skills to weave a number of columns together in a smooth transition that actually makes people like me - with no interest in tools - want to find out more about pencils and drills. Oh so sexy ...
A surprising book. Delightful. Clever. Wonderful.
on June 14, 2014
I received a complementary copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

This is a short novella of anecdotes and memories of the author. This type of book is not my normal usual genre choice, but I decided to give it a try. I actually enjoyed it.

These stories would probably relate better to those hard working blue collars workers in the "trades" such as electricians, builders and plumbers. However, it was an easy and quick read. I got most of the terms relating to the electrical trade, as my father was (and is) a trained electrician. These stories were sometimes funny, and made me grin at some of the author's actions, or those around him. The tools of a tradesman are sacrosanct, and several of the stories pay homage to the tools at his disposal. "The Pencil" is such an evocative and, almost poetic, ode to the humble pencil. I loved the simplicity of the stories and anecdotes, but felt that they could have been a little longer in content. However, overall, I totally enjoyed the journey into a world that I have lived on the periphery of for years, but never ventured far into.

Tim Coaty has written a witty, thought provoking and engaging collection of stories that has given me a deeper understanding of those in "the trade". I hope he continues to write, as he has a way with words that captured my imagination. I am just sorry that it took me so long to get to read this book.

I recommend this book to everyone who are in (or considering going into) the trades, or if you love memoirs or anthologies. - Lynn Worton
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
These short stories are very entertaining. No matter what your work background you will be able to relate to the predicaments, emotions, and experiences that "rumbled" these stories into existence. My personal favorite is...the pencil. Just sit back, relax, and most of all, laugh!