Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on July 6, 2012
...then this is the item for you.

I had the notion that this item might solve my Stratocaster Single Coil Hum problems. Technically, that's a correct statement. The hum is reduced and barely noticeable on "Normal" and pretty much gone on "Strong." In either case, you pay a terrible - and in my opinion, unacceptable - price for this: you not only lose your tone, it becomes basically a "Robotic" sound, which is especially prevalent roughly an octave up from low E, and gets worse the higher you go. So be forewarned guitarists - this is NOT the solution.

The closest sound I can liken it to is a Vocoder - or a "Robot" Voice. R2D2 just took over your Strat!

I am using excellent equipment which probably makes the difference in the tone VERY evident: 2012 Fender American Standard Stratocaster (standard equipped with the new Custom Shop Fat 50's pickups - great sound, but 60 cycle hum of course) through a PRS "H" Combo, and also tried it through a Mesa Boogie Mark V.

I cannot recommend this product. I gave it two stars because it does actually eliminate the hum. But, again, totally destroys your tone.
44 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2008
I use vintage 1950's and 1960's single coil pickup guitars when I play out with my band. For years I have been plagued with bad hum problems when the club has bad wiring (most of them do). I was hesitant to buy this because of mixed reviews online. However, I recently played a gig in a club where I had an AWFUL hum, and I had to take a chance on it ASAP. I have used the Hum Debugger in a gig situation and I am happy to report that the product works. Please note: this product DOES change the sound slightly by removing the harmonics from the hum content. The "normal" switch removes only the "odd" harmonics-"strong" switch removes "odd" harmonics AND "even" harmonics. (Not truly sure what these terms mean, but I can hear the difference.) What does your guitar sound like with this device? On normal, it sounds pretty close to regular-you may notice the missing harmonics just a bit if you compare the on signal to the off signal. There may still be a very slight hum. On the strong setting if you compare closely the on & off signals you will notice a drop in volume and the sound will sound a bit "stripped" of tone and-to my ears-just a little bit wobbly. When I played my gig, I opted for the "normal" setting, with just a tiny bit of hum audible (actually, I was quieter than my band's other guitar player), but with the better guitar tone and was very happy. In the future, I will take the Hum Debugger to all my gigs, and use it as needed. Do you need a Hum Debugger? If you use vintage single-coil pickup guitars and have experienced highly embarrassing hum at your shows, I think that you do.
on December 17, 2012
I play jazz guitar. One of my favorite guitars is a Gibson ES175 with one P90 single coil pickup. Love the tone but hate the 60HZ hum. I do not use any pedals and go for a really clean tone. I tried the ISP Decimator and the Boss NS-2 to rid the hum but being that they are noise gates they don't work well on pedal free guitar tone. They are more for getting rid of noisy pedal hum. The EH Hum Debugger works perfect. My P90 is now quiet as a church mouse with no effect on natural tone or sustain. I love it. My only complaint is it is made out of cheap looking steel and for the price you pay for it they could have put a nice coat of paint on it. It is a bit of a eye sore but it works fantastic. If you want clean and quiet single coil tone buy one !!! Yes it is a bit pricey but worth every single penny. Not only does this little wonder take away ALL my pickup hum on the normal setting it even takes away some of the normal tube amp hiss all without any tonal change and believe me I have one picky ear when it comes to tone. If you are a hard rocker with a string of pedals than a noise gate may be your better choice but if you love that clean single coil tone this is what you want for sure.
on September 26, 2011
I'm a big fan of the vintage Jazz Bass sound with single coil pickups but I'm not a fan of noise-cancelling bass pickups. Noise-cancelling are nice but you tend to lose all the character and chatter that makes a bass sound unique and interesting imho. The down side to that is I eventually end up in places where my pickups are roping in some electrical hum, and sometimes enough to be a show stopper. This product does exactly what it says it does. There are a bunch of demonstration videos on YouTube and whatnot. I recommend it as a fix in a live situation. After listening to it closely I'd never use it in the studio. It definitely uses some phase canceling and in a critical listening environment it does sound a bit unnatural. Honestly, in a live situation a little bit of phase canceling isn't going to be that noticeable - and definitely not as noticeable as the amount of hum and noise this thing gets rid of. This is staying on my pedal board as a safety net and it's worth every penny to me so I can keep my tone. Very happy with it!
on December 5, 2010
Autofocus is a mess, sorry about that, first video made with my D7000 and I was more focused on the narration than camera work. Primarily wanted people to be able to hear the audio when I have the debugger on and off. I was seriously considering selling my Godin Kingpin before I discovered this device because the hum was really hard to control. I'm fairly certain there is only about 5 dollars worth of electronics in the hum debugger, but you pay for the engineering I suppose and in my view this device is worth the price, especially if you live in an older house or near main power lines where hum is most prevalent.
on September 9, 2015
Great product if you have a nasty hum problem that can't be fixed any other way. There is no other product on the market that does what this does! Others have commented on how this changes their tone, I did not notice this on clean and medium gain playing with a telecaster. Wish it worked on a 9VDC standard power adapter, but what other option do I have?

For reference I play a MIM telecaster with vintage style pickups that really pick up nasty hum from light dimmers in large church sanctuary. I tried lots of other solutions including power line filters, ground loop isolators, ferrite clamps, and nothing else worked. I will eventually be better shielding the guitar and switching to noiseless pickups, but this is a life saver in the mean time!
on December 13, 2012
I don't usually write reviews but I just bought a Gibson Les Paul Jr. which has an H90 Pickup in it which hums like crazy when the guitar is plugged in and volume turned up. I play with a lot of gain through a Marshall JCM 900 half stack. I plugged in the debugger and virtually all the hum is gone and the guitar lost zero tone or sound. A must have if you have hum!
on June 7, 2015
I used it to play in an environment with a lot of EMI and it worked great. Even when I turned it up to the "strong" setting, I didn't notice any metallic or robotic sounds as some other reviewers have mentioned. It was placed dead first in my signal chain. Sure, it's a one-trick pony, but if you're in a place where that trick is needed, it's invaluable.
on September 20, 2014
Crap. Someone else mentioned that it leaves your tone sounding like R2D2. This is 100% true, especially if you want to solo. Each note sounds like binary bits & bytes. Takes beautiful analog tone and makes it sounds like a cheap Star Wars sound effects flick. Nice idea, but total waste of money.
on March 27, 2014
I ordered this because my peavey vypyr tube 60 was making an ungodly loud noise of humming and buzzing. I plugged my guitar into the hum debugger, then ran a cord from the hum debugger to my amp and when I stepped on the switch... DEAD SILENCE!!!!
Yes it does steal some of your tone, but I don't think its an astronomical amount that changes your sound completely, especially if you're playing with a full band with drums, bass and other guitar player you will hardly notice it and the audience isn't going to notice it, so I don't think its a big deal. You will notice it more if your just jamming by yourself with your guitar and amp. I am very happy with this because it does exactly what it says.