4.0 out of 5 stars Great fridge.
I've owned this fridge for about 18 months and now can review it safely. As for the design and quality - beautiful, spacious, stainless steel all over. The only reason i am giving 4 stars is that we also had a problem with an ice maker. We've bought it from Best Buy and their technician had to install the upgrade kit under warranty. Apparently, Best Buy ordered the wrong...
Published on January 9, 2011 by Elena M.

1.0 out of 5 stars WORST REFRIGERATOR EVER
This is a complete lemon refrigerator, electrolux admitted to it missing a 21 part upgrade kit for the icemaker, it's been a month now and I have not gotten it replaced, electrolux told me its a general problem with that model and that it is impossible to replace them all so they send out parts hoping it gets fixed, AVOID IT.
Published on May 19, 2010 by Roberto Vega

1.0 out of 5 stars WORST REFRIGERATOR EVER, May 19, 2010
This review is from: Electrolux : EI28BS56IS 27.8 cu. ft. French-Door Refrigerator - Stainless Steel (Misc.)

1.0 out of 5 stars 13 month downhill slide, August 17, 2011
1. During installation, the installer had propped the door against the side of the truck while removing the refrigerator from the truck. I saw the door start to fall to the asphalt and yelled a warning. The installer quickly reached out and grabbed for the door, managing to grab the drinking water tube and save the door from crashing to the ground. In the process he kinked the drinking water hose.

2. We requested a repair technician come to the house to replace the water tube and repair the icemaker, which was not making ice. The ice had somehow melted and froze into a block inside the cube container. He worked on the icemaker by removing it, examining parts, following certain protocols. He repaired what appeared to be the source of the problem and said it should now be in working order. The technician examined the tube and worked and straightening the kink. He then declined to replace the tube, saying that it would be okay.

3. Within a week or two the icemaker would only emit crushed ice, not ice cubes. The repair technician returned and spent considerable time on it, including conversing via phone with Electrolux technical support. He and they determined that some sort of part was not working properly and ordered a new part. The part arrived in about a week, and he replaced it. The icemaker then worked properly.

4. About two months ago, the ice cube container froze up again. I managed to remove it and break out the frozen block of cubes as the technician had shown me how to do. I replaced the container and it worked fine until...

5. About two weeks ago, the icemaker stopped producing cubes and would only produce crushed ice. We called Broad View Appliance and requested assistance. Because we were into the extended warranty period, we had to call and argue with the extended warranty people, who were concerned that we were at fault. We finally got permission to use the warranty to fix the icemaker that had failed for a third time. We made an appointment for a week later. The day before the appointment, the icemaker began making ice again, and we call Broad View, saying we should wait.

6. Within a few days the icemaker would only produce small, watery, almost melted cubes. In addition, other anomalies occurred. I've listed the problems current this week below:

a. Cubes are small and slushy, and only a few come out.
b. The digital read-out on the front panel lit a small red light on the upper right side of the panel, indicating, "hi temp".
c. The temperatures on the face read 5 degrees for the freezer and 39 degrees for the refrigerator. These were the temps the technician had set months ago, and they had remained the same. However, because of the hi temp reading, I followed the book's instructions and reset the panel to the factory default settings. The default temps are 4 degrees and 38 degrees.
d. Within an hour of resetting the defaults, the digital numbers were replaced by the word ICE on the left and an incomplete reading of the number 63 on the right. "Incomplete" means that two of the digital "lines" that make up the numbers were missing. The book had not explanation for this. I again reset the default settings. I visited Broad View, explained the problem and rescheduled a repair appointment for this morning.
e. Now, every few hours, the panel reads ICE and 63 degrees. Then with no action from me, after a few minutes, the readout changes to reflect the default settings. It appears to me that the digital components are failing, or some part of the computer's system has failed. This might involve warming and cooling of the icemaker, resulting in small slushy cubes or crushed ice.
f. The icemaker continues to make only a few small slushy cubes.

1.0 out of 5 stars On my Second Lemon, July 11, 2011
First POS had numerous problems with ice maker. Thankfully, after the 5th complaint, Electrolux brought us a new one. The one is just as bad - the ice maker works, but the refrigerator is constantly warm. It is set at 35 degrees, but the internal tempreature is in the 40's. Total piece of garbage.

1.0 out of 5 stars don't, July 10, 2010
we have had three refrigerators--first two had complete ice maker failures, did not cool below 40 in the refrigerator, doors did not line up. if you buy this, you will get to know Electrolux customer service by first name. Don't do it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Anyone for HOT LEMONaide, August 12, 2010
This ref. is a total LEMON. You can have HOT LEMONaide if you buy it. NO ICE.

3.0 out of 5 stars Electrolux French Door: Wonderful as long as you don't want "ICE"!!, January 17, 2012
Patsy A. Stiles Vaughn (Fairfield Glade, Tennessee USA) - See all my reviews
Model #EW28BS71IB2: I received a statement from Electrolux in June, 2010 that the "Ice maker" problem mentioned in Amazon reviews had been resolved. So, I went ahead and ordered my Electrolux through Lowes. After two months, the ice maker began working off and on!! I assumed I had received one of the refrigerators with an ice maker that got "missed", so I have patiently waited for the retrofit or repair kit to become available for a permanent fix.

Following Amazon reviews, I learned "my" icemaker had been replaced, so I contacted Electrolux where I was informed, this "new" icemaker would not work in my year old refrigerator model!!

I am in contact with Electrolux who recently sent me a replaceable "rack" inside the freezer door that their experts thought was causing the problem (air getting in). "They' were wrong as we still have no ice. I have even shut down the unit for a day to remove any frost/ice build up (re-booted) to no avail. (So far, three area "Appliance repair services" have refused to make a service call on my Electrolux.) I will have to remain in contact indefinitely IF I hope for ice from my $3,000.00 purchase ...or until I receive a final word,of "Tough luck"!

BUT: I will say, EXCEPT for the icemaker, it is a wonderful refrigerator. Lovely interior, lots of room, well organized, great temperature controlled drawer for bottled and canned drinks, great freezer sliding drawers that stores a large amount. Over all, this a beautiful refrigerator. Too bad about the icemaker..You CAN "store" purchased bags of ice in the container and it will disperse the ice just as if it made it. (ps: My husband states having the icemaker located inside the 'refrigerator' itself instead of the freezer, was a lousy idea and probably the cause of the problem. psv TN

UPDATE: February 2, 2012 ELECTROLUX has done a great job of communicating with me regarding my ice maker problem.. "The" replacement kit is being installed right this minute and I have to hope, it will take care of my lack of ice for years to come. It is apparent to me at least, "someone(s)" back in 2010 did NOT do their job replacing the parts when directed by Electrolux, as I cannot believe the company would purposely sell a unit with a 'known' problem. EXCEPT for the icemaker problem and the time involved correcting it, I do recommend Electrolux as I do love this refrigerator...(I like "nice" things and this IS one of the nicest!!) All along these past few months of correspondence (emails), Electrolux was respectful and followed through right up to, today's install. Based upon their co-operation and resulting actions, I will purchase my needed washer and dryer from them next!

Update: November 21, 2013 My "repair/replacement" with the "ICE MAKER" lasted five (5) MONTHS. For the past 15 months, we gave up on trying to use it. It has caused heated discussions between my husband and I with my "suggestions" of solutions. He reminds me that I was the one who picked this Electrolux over a Samsung...so the lack of ice is obviously, "my fault"!!! I STILL love the refrigerator itself. It is beautiful and unique in shelving design...(oh yes, two of the lights on the door have quick working but that is a minor problem compared to NO ICE.)

I have to ...just have to, steer anyone away from this model (and probably anything "Electrolux"). It used to be you receive "what you pay for", but when ICE IS CONSIDERED A NECESSITY IN LIFE" and one pays $3,000.00 for a refrigerator... it should be expected to be perfect...including an ice maker.

DO NOT PURCHASE IF ICE ..AND PEACE AT HOME...IS CONSIDERED NECESSARY in your life.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Buy This Refrigerator, June 4, 2012
I did not buy this Electrolux 28 cu. Ft. French door refrige from Amazon, but I'm posting a review of my experiences to warn you off. I've had nothing but trouble with this refrige. I've had repairmen to the house now seven times to fix the icemaker, and it still doesn't work. On its best day it may make two cups of ice, but most of the time it doesn't work at all. What little ice there is melts in the bin, and it leaks water down the inside of the refrige. Water from the dispenser in the door is often warm. I've contact Electrolux numerous times, but now that the warranty has expired, they say, "Sorry, it's your problem." The refrige cost over $2500, and it's nothing but trouble. Don't buy it!

1.0 out of 5 stars LOOK OUT FOR THIS LEMON!!!!! Don't Buy This!, December 13, 2010
We bought this good looking and expensive refrigerator in April 2010 and have been sorry ever since! We have, in fact, gotten to know our repair man on a first name basis. Electrolux keeps sending fix it packages to try to correct defects that should have been corrected prior to marketing this peice of junk.
This is not a cheap unit, but I sure do wish I had purchased one of the less expensive ones that actually work. I lost 9 pounds of lobster meat the first time it broke down along with hundreds of dollars of groceries the second and third time it broke down. Electrolux will give you a big 75 bucks to "compensate" you for your food loss and you know how much that will get you now. Besides that the inconvience of calling and waiting for parts and repairs.
SAVE YOURSELF DO NOT BUY ELECTROLUX! All it offers is good looks and zero functionality.
Lemon! Lemon! Lemon!

1.0 out of 5 stars AVOID THIS REFRIGERATOR AT ALL COSTS!! (buy the filter bypass if you already own this), December 20, 2012
This was the worst, most expensive purchase mistake we have ever made. Within a VERY short time the icemaker stopped working. We had purchased a 4 year extended warranty from Lowes (we normally don't get the extended warranty, but thank goodness we did for this lemon). The service person, sent from Lowes, stated ALL of these frigs had to be fixed, and he personally wouldn't have it if someone gave it to him. I had already discovered the larger size didn't actually hold as much as my old smaller frig due to a really poor design. The shelves are adjustable, but you really can't do them but a couple of ways to get any use at all. The large drawer is nice for oversize plates, platters etc. We had to place the milk in the door to have any room for taller things. The icemaker takes up too much frig space. My biggest complaint is the water filter. The manual RECOMMENDS changing water filter every 6 months but doesn't say YOU HAVE TO CHANGE THE FILTER. Which costs around $50.00 - every 6 months or more often if needed. It doesn't say the filter cracks even before 6 months and leaks into the freezer and on the floor. I thought maybe it was a fluke when the first one cracked. I was concerned when the second one cracked and soaked the kitchen floor. I was %$#@*@$ when the third one made a small swimming area in the kitchen. By the time we determined it was leaking, the floor was ruined, and the frig had 'sunk' into the damaged floor. I called Electolux as a courtesy to warn them of my impending campaign to inform the world about this horrible product. During the conversation with 3 different people (while I have laryngitis) I learned there is a filter bypass you can buy that deletes the need for the filter. DUH. In 2 years no one mentioned this little fact. Needless to say, its ordered, and hopefully it will actually work, unlike the filters. Sorry this review was so long, but its not half of what I would like to say. If you buy this after reading this review, you were warned.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lemon!, July 4, 2011
If you get this refrigerator, make sure you have a lot of ice chests on hand. Exactly 1 year after we bought it, it broke down and we lost all of our food. Fine it happens. We understood. BUT --- the repair man has been out 3 x now and keeps fixing the exact same problem. This all within a 2 month period. We have lost hundreds of dollars worth of food and all they have done is send us a $50 check. As I write this, my husband is on the phone with customer service once again and filling up the ice chests. All I can say is thank goodness we bought the extended warranty, otherwise, we would have to pay for the repairs. It looks nice, but it is a complete lemon. Don't get it!

Rate and Discover Movies