4.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a real cold refrigerator.
UPDATE: As of 8/11, I would rate this unit at 1 Star (Can't change on edit function of review)
Published on March 22, 2010 by Dennis

2.0 out of 5 stars Wish I could keep it, but the flaws are hard to live with
We've had the refrigerator for several months. Tech guys have already been called out 3 times for the same issue.... ice continues to drip from the ice maker-tray right down into the water/ice dispenser causing a continuous puddle of water on the "catch" tray.
Published on December 10, 2009 by Frank

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a real cold refrigerator., March 22, 2010
Dennis "Luckyme" (Lexington, KY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Electrolux EW27EW65GS Wave-Touch 27" Stainless Steel Electric Double Wall Oven - Convection
Original refrigerator was just replaced with the newly designed icemaker model due to the issues with the original icemaker. Electrolux has been good, but this refrigerator's icemaker has really been a huge problem. I would look for other lines before Electrolux, at least until they can improve thier designs and engineering.

Original review with some edits:
We have been on a journey to find a great, stylish and functional counter depth refrigerator. We are replacing a perfectly fine Kitchen Aid side by side that we put in a second home. First, we chose a Samsung side by side, but were not satisfied with it's refrigerator temperature. We set it at 34, but it never seemed cold enough. Milk was never "ice cold" as we were accustomed to. We started monitoring the temperatures, and it was typically around 38-43 degrees. Samsung was unable to remedy this issue, even after sending out a new replacement. Then we chose a GE Profile model, but it was a similar scenario, with wide temperature swings between the setting of 34, and 44 degrees, so a return of the GE was in order after service was unable to remedy it's large temperature swings.

Now, onto the Electrolux. This was a favorite from the start when we were shopping, but we were scared off by some reviews. We decided to go for it anyway, and are pleased with that decision, so far. However, the first one delivered did not cool at all. A service tech was dispatched immediately, and he found that there was a broken line from the compressor, due to damage in shipping, no fault of the unit, and all the refrigerant had escaped. The dealer brought the GE back until another Electrolux could be ordered and delivered.

Upon recieving the second Electrolux, it is performing nicely. Internal temperature is as stated on the Wave Touch Panel at 34 and -4 degrees for the freezer (which, by the way, you can set to show the refrigerator and freezer temps at all times). The units appearance is of good quality, being stainless steel on all sides, sturdy handles, and a modern appearance with Wave Touch Controls, which are easy to use. The doors are simple to align or adjust if needed.

The interior of this unit is 22.6 cu/ft, so as counter depth goes, it is decent. With edgeless glass shelves, ball bearing glides on all drawers, a large temperature controlled drawer with digital programmed settings, 2 good sized slide out bins, and exceptionaly well done LED lighting, this unit's interior is impressive.

We especially like the temperature controlled drawer, which can be adjusted from 28 to 40+ degrees. The drawer is large enough for party platters, and can keep fresh meats at near freezing, or beer can be kept at a very nice 28 degrees, or wines at a favorite selected temperature. The ice maker does take up a fair amount of space, but for ice and water in the door, it is a worth while sacrifice.

The icemaker has had some negative reviews, but so far ours is fine. The cubes are rounded, with a divit. I'm not sure why this is considered "Drink Friendly", but they are nice. One issue is that the cubes seem to come out with some vengence. However, by simply putting your glass or ice bucket close to the dispensing chute...problem solved. We have seen no melted ice puddles in the catch basin. Water dispensing is simple, and functional. We have only had this unit for a few days, so I can't comment on ice production quantity, but it is supposed to be better than most, per Electrolux specifications.

The freezer has 2 deep slide out bins, and 1 shallow one, with dividers and smooth ball bearing slides. One of our wire dividers does not stay in place, but that is no big issue at all. Space is good, and well utilized. Lighting in the freezer is excellent.

If I listen closely, I can hear the unit running, but sound is not obtrusive or noticably louder than any of the other units we have had recently. I would say it is quiet.

Pros: Operates at accurate temperatures set, huge slide out temperature controlled drawer, Exceptionally well done LED lighting and appearance, Wave Touch Controlls, functional use of space. Looks and feels high quality. We finally have really cold milk again.

Cons: High end of price scale, Ice maker takes up some refrigerator space, and some door storage.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wish I could keep it, but the flaws are hard to live with, December 10, 2009
Frank "Frank" (Pembroke Pines, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This problem does NOT go away even through twice they've changed the entire ice making mechanism. It appears that the ice doesn't maintain its temperature properly in the upper refrigerator portion of the unit, causing it to stick together and constantly form a drip. Besides this..... this beautiful frig makes enough ice for 2! We are a family of 5. At dinner time, we can never seem to get enough ice to fill our cups half way with ice (even if ice hasn't been used all day). Ice compartment is too small. FORGET having guests over..... I've been serving warm drinks after the 4th person!

Besides this, It's beautiful and specious. I wish it would work for us....but these small negatives are truly outweighing the positive. Thinking about getting a side by side and avoiding this french door dilemma.

1.0 out of 5 stars Electrolux nightmare, November 1, 2010
We bought an entire new kitchen plus Washer and Dryer of Electrolux appliances (June 2010) and are at the point of returning several.
re: counter depth french door wave touch refrig..
Today I am calling for third service due to no ice. First time, they replaced control panel with "newer" software panel (think it was version 8.0). Along with that, added a "chute" extension so that ice would not go flying all over the floor. Said there was nothing to do to fix the issue of warm water from the dispenser. Second repair was again to upgrade the control panel software version (now 8.1) as the icemaker just stopped producing, then started again 2 days later and took 3 days to fill up the measly container. Three days ago, it stopped again and was dripping water which overflowed to the floor. 24 hours later, we decided to try to just shut off the power and "reboot" it. 4 hours later, it started producing again. Another issue is that the cube ice option produces 2/3 crushed ice and 1/3 cubes.
As for design, the only place to put a gallon of milk is on the left side shelf and then you have to remove a shelf.
The only kitchen appliance that we have not had a problem with is the dishwasher. Our drop-down door microwave had to be replaced 1 week after installed. Our induction range has design flaws that prevent it from being installed correctly. They have sent three that are all the same way. Electrolux blamed it on the delivery people first until we asked them the third time to not open the box until it came to our home and we all opened it together and took pictures. Electrolux has been a nightmare!!!
(our repair vendor company has been great though)

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT REFRIGERATOR WITH A FEW ISSUES, June 13, 2010
I did some serious research before purchasing this refrigerator. Mandatory was counter depth with ice on the door, not just water. The G.E. Profile counter depth does not offer this, only the full size 25 cubic foot models. I didn't want to have to open the freezer drawer just to get a few ice cubes. Many reviews complain about the ice maker in the upper refrigerator where it drips water. A well founded complaint. Electrolux was made aware of this problem and they have a retro-fix made available to their dealers to fix this. I addressed this issue prior to my purchase and it was corrected. The ice is cold and it does not drip. Putting the ice maker in the upper refrigerator does take up some valuable space. It's just enough room for my wife and I but for a family of four it would never work, it's just too small. This is a high-end refrigerator with all the bells & whistles. It is well built, quiet and real eye candy when placed in a upgraded kitchen. You will not be disappointed or regret this purchase. Keep in mind that you can purchase the 25 cubic foot model for almost $500.00 less. If you have the space this is the better way to go. Shop around. There are many deals available on this refrigerator.

1.0 out of 5 stars RUN - Don't BUY IT!, March 27, 2011
DO NOT buy this refrigerator (Electrolux French door with ice maker in the door) - you will be SORRY! Mine is 14 months old and repairman has been out 15 times to fix the ice maker and it still will not make A CUBE OF ICE! It has worked some , on and off for the first year I had it, but no ice after 12 months . And it only makes enough ice for 3 glasses. So if you have a family of 4 - 5 , you will have to buy Ice. I found that out for Thanksgiving, when after I filled 3 glasses it was EMPTY! So had to send a family member to BUY bags of ice real fast!!! Also - they get you with having to purchase air and water filters every so often. I agree with the water filter - but the air filter to me is another gimmick for them to get more money! And they are NOT CHEAP!
The service man has been out 15 times to work on the ice maker. He has replaced the entire thing 3 times in 1 year. I figured I had better buy the $488 3 yr warranty - because I knew it was going to be trouble. Electrolux offer me a GENERAOUS "NOT" 60% of the $3400 I paid, toward another one. Mine was only a few months old - and I was only going to get 60% of it. They would NOT even stand behind their pile of junk for a year! We continued to negotiate and they finally offered me a new one, but wouldn't let me transfer the $488 warranty I just bought to the new one. SO I said no. Finally they agreed for 2 yrs full warranty instead of 3 yrs. It has been a month and I have not heard a word from them after their promise of a new one for me. I have called twice in the last 2 weeks - leaving messages to please let me know what is going on and they will not return my call. So now I am sure they were blowing Smoke up my rear end.
I am just saying, save yourself a lot of time, money and heartache and FIND ANYTHING else out there, but I strongly suggest staying away from Electrolux products. Also - I was very skeptical about having an ice maker in the refrigerator part. I questioned the salesman and everyone on that. I just didn't see the work-a-bility of that! And now I know my common sense was RIGHT ON THE MARK! I will never buy another refrigerator with the ice maker in the refridge part!~ I will stick to only ice makers in the FREEZER part! Either TOP - Bottom - or Side by side "Freezer part. I suggest that highly when looking for refrigerators. And my repairman that has been out here 15 times - said he would never recommend ice makers in the refrigerator part - because he hasn't found many that work for very long.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but flawed, August 23, 2010
After looking at a lot of counter depth refrigerators, we decided to go with the Electrolux. Didn't want to spend this much but it had a lot of great features and was very complimentary to our other appliance.

Shortly after receiving the unit, the ice maker quit producing ice. Called for service and Electrolux directed the tech to replace a few parts. Seemed to work fine, for a while. Quit again after a short time. Tried to get a replacement ice maker and/or control boards, none were available as this was a new model. Ended up getting the refrigerator replaced.

The new one had the same issue. Ice production would stop for no reason. Found out that we could turn the unit off, let it sit for a few hours, turn it back on and it would start working again. Back to service. Electrolux must have been aware of this issue as they were working on upgrade kits. First one was installed. Same problem. Other sensors were replaced. Same problem. New upgrade kit installed, same thing.

It has been almost a year. I have been patient but considering Electolux touting this as the best ice maker on the market, I am fed up with this. Presently, Electrolux is reviewing the history of this unit. They will either replace it with another unit, probably with same issue, or give me full credit at the place I purchased it.

Has anyone else had this issue? Very frustrated!

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware!!!! MY Rating on this item would be "0", February 20, 2011
We purchased this unit over a year ago and have had at least 5 calls for service due to the ice maker. They have rebuilt it 3 times - it will stop working and defrost the ice and it has run all over our hardwood floors. It seems that for every holiday in the past year, we have been without an icemaker and we have only received run-arounds from Electrolux. I WILL NEVER BUY ANYTHING THAT SAYS "ELECTROLUX" ON IT AGAIN. If they don't pick up this unit soon, they will be replacing my hardwood floors! We paid $4000.00 for this. We must have been nuts. Our $1900.00 units from Maytag which we put in our condos have never given us an once of trouble. I am so tired of calling them and calling out service people - scheduling service calls and then never actually being repaired. Repairs work for about 2 weeks.
I think that Electrolux should have just stayed with vacuum cleaners! I don't actually own one of those and wouldn't buy one as the name Electrolux now makes me sick!

4.0 out of 5 stars A great refrigerator... worth $3,500? Maybe, maybe not., January 28, 2011
I've never written a review on Amazon before, and after reading the reviews for this refrigerator, I was seriously doubting our decision to purchase an Electrolux unit. But we already had an Electrolux range, wanted things to match, and needed a counter depth unit. So we held our breath, and found this unit at the Sears Outlet for $2,100. To date, I've had none of the issues others have made mention of here. The top unit stays plenty cold, the ice maker makes plenty of ice, doesn't spit it all over the floor, it's not mushy, etc... etc. The unit does seem to run most if not all of the time, but it honestly just sounds like a small fan running. It's not loud or very noticeable at all. All interior lighting is through inset LED's that dim on when you open the door and drawer... a nice feature. I think there's nine LED's in the refrigerator alone... some inside the drawers so you can easily view their contents.

The glass shelves have a slight concave edge to them that keeps in spills and are very stylish. The only small problem we had initially was hat the seal on the freezer drawer wasn't sealing completely. We'd get some patches of frost in the freezer where air seeped in. Turns out the seal just needed to be massaged a bit to be a bit more flexible, and the problem has gone away. (it most likely got compressed sitting in the outlet warehouse) One gripe is that if you open the right fridge door, the water and ice maker stops until you close it. Open it while you're getting ice or water, and an alarm goes off after a few seconds.

FWIW, the ice maker makes ice in a "drink friendly" shape (Electrolux's term, not mine) The ice looks a bit more like store bought ice, in a bullet shape with a hole in the middle. Initially it just seemed like marketing fluff, but I have to admit, they do cool drinks rapidly, fit a bit better in bottles, and seem to also freeze faster. Set to "fast freeze" this unit makes a tray of ice almost twice an hour.

Now, as I said, we got our unit for a pretty steep discount at an outlet center, and at the price we paid, I'd call this a 5-star unit. I have to admit though, at a list price of $3,500 I could see some having a bit of buyer's remorse. If you can find a unit marked down a bit, or are comfortable with the price, this is an excellent refrigerator.

1.0 out of 5 stars wish I would have read reviews ahead of time!!!, July 13, 2011
Just called for service on this piece of garbage for the 13th time. Yes, you read this right 13 SERVICE CALLS and still not working. The company I use is brilliant and they have practically rebuilt this thing several times over. I have never in my life been through anything like this as far as appliances go. Just like everyone else, my problem is the ice maker. Never worked correctly from day 1. The salesperson who sold us this nightmare never returned any of our calls after it was installed. Leads me to believe he was aware of what he was peddling. Please don't buy this product unless you have no life what so ever and are willing to sit around all day waiting for repairs. Trying to save up enough money to dump this piece of junk and replace it. It is less than 2 years old and was very expensive. In the meantime, we keep buying bags of ice to place in this very expensive ice chest!!! Shame on you Electrolux.

1.0 out of 5 stars If zero stars were an option..., November 16, 2010
I am LIVID!! RUN, DON'T WALK away from this contraption!!! I have had...not joking...14 service calls from 4 different repair companies. No one knows how to fix the problem w/ the icemaker! It has been a problem from day 1, Electrolux knows that this model has a problem, in fact, they have an entire team called the SWAT team that is assigned to JUST deal with this issue. And even THEY don't know how to fix it!! The ice maker is in the fridge. BAD IDEA!!! DUH! Doesn't keep the ice cold enough, ice melts, leaves ice on the bottom of the maker, then when you want ice cubes it spits crushed ice all over your kitchen floor. It will make cubes, but when you try to get them out of the door, it will only give you crushed. I've added up the total number of hours I've spent waiting for repairs. Are you ready for this...101 hours. I kid you not. And still no one can fix it. Electrolux is giving me the run around. No one will give me an answer. Then someone said something about giving me back a % of my money!! DAMN thing didn't work right from the first day!!! SAVE YOURSELF and go buy something else. ANYTHING ELSE!! This is a POS!

Rate and Discover Movies