5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent machine, but not for everybody
Published on February 15, 2006 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars I tried to love it!
I really wanted to love this mixer. It has a lot of things going for it with a powerful yet quiet motor, large bowl, solid construction, timer, attachments, and a three year warranty, but it doesn't knead dough!

Let me start from the begining. I love to make bread and am a perfectionist about it. I started out with 4.5 quart Kitchenaid model. It lasted...
Published on June 26, 2009 by A. Nelson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent machine, but not for everybody, February 15, 2006
Amazon Customer (South Bend, IN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Electrolux White Assistent Stand Mixer 8 Qt. (Kitchen)
I'm prompted to write this after seeing another review that stated that this machine is only good for making bread but not for other mixing tasks. In fact, it will do everything any other stand mixer will do, and it will perform most tasks better than other stand mixers. I use it a couple of times a week to knead bread dough, at which it excels, but I've also made cakes, whipped egg whites, made cookies, and just about anything else you can imagine.

The thing is, as you can see from the picture of the machine, it is different from mixers most Americans are used to. There's a learning curve involved, so you must be prepared for that, or you'll be disappointed. I got the hang of it quickly, within a couple of weeks or so, but after a year I'm still refining my knowledge.

I should point out that Cook's Illustrated magazine, in their November 2005 issue, gave this machine a poor rating. I have to believe that they did not attempt to learn how to use it properly. I also have their top-rated mixer, the KitchenAid Professional 600, which I found very disappointing. It now sits in a basement closet after it stripped a gear.

If you make bread, especially if you make it frequently or in large quantities, chances are you'll grow to love this machine. For a single loaf of bread now and then, any good stand mixer will do, and you'll probably be happier.

If you don't make bread at all, a good sturdy hand mixer such as the Braun M880 Multimix would be something to consider. If you make bread, you can rest assured that the Electrolux will do that and anything else you need it to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars An unusual but excellent mixer, December 23, 2006
This review is from: Electrolux White Assistent Stand Mixer 8 Qt. (Kitchen)
I have owned this mixer for two years and am completely satisfied with it. However, I could not understand its operation from looking at pictures before I bought it, so I want to describe it to potential buyers.

The large stainless steel bowl has a 1/2" shaft protruding from the bottom with a slot cut in it. This shaft fits into the power unit and the slot engages a pin which allows the power unit to rotate the bowl. The only powered function is this turning of the bowl.

The large arm above the bowl is spring-loaded. The arm is permanently attached to a vertical pivot at the left rear of the power unit (see the "creaming butter and sugar" picture I have uploaded). There is a large pin on the right side of the arm which you can pull up several inches. You first seat the bowl on the power unit, then pull up on the pin and swing the arm forward so the right end is over the bowl. Then you put the fluted beater inside the bowl and let the large pin drop into the end of the beater. The beater can spin freely on this pin.

The top of the beater has a rubber u-shaped groove which rides against the top edge of the bowl. The spring is constantly pulling the beater against this groove. As the bowl rotates, it causes the beater to turn. The bowl edge is like a "big gear" turning the "little gear" of the beater. Thus the beater rotates much faster than the bowl.

As you see from the picture there is also a scraper that rides along the inside edge of the bowl. This scraper pivots freely but dough or batter pushes it against the side of the bowl. It can be lifted out of its support to take it out of the bowl.

The beauty of this arrangement is that if a large amount of dough or batter gets between the beater and the bowl, the beater is simply pushed away from the bowl edge temporarily and stops, as the rubber groove loses contact with the rotating bowl. This prevents the beater from jamming and stalling, and the motor from overloading. The spring immediately pulls it back after dough has passed behind it.

I use this machine mostly for cakes and cookies, and one downside is that it does not work well when creaming cold butter and sugar. The hard shortening pushes the beater away from the bowl and the mixing stops. You simply need to allow the shortening to come to room temperature.

Since the inside rim of the bowl drives the beater, you need to avoid scraping a spatula across the edge of the bowl while mixing, since grease in this area might cause the beater to slip. I also avoid cracking eggs on the edge of the bowl.

The only other caution I have is the weight of the stainless steel bowl. It is quite large and heavy, and there is no handle on the outside (unlike a KitchenAid). It can be awkward to hold this heavy bowl as you are pouring or spooning out batter.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Electrolux Assistent Mixer delivers excellent bang for the buck, July 16, 2006
The Electrolux Assistent Mixer excels in dough kneading but I use it many more work hours for flaking and grinding grain, grinding meat and processing fruits and vegetables.

Our diet consists of whole grains, fruits, vegetables and grass fed meat product. I make all of our cereal, bread, crackers and other baked goods. I have a small commercial stone grinder to grind grain but I use the Electrolux DLX grain grinder for smaller jobs. I process all of our cereal with the Electrolux flaker. I grind our fresh meat with the meat grinder attachment. I puree vegetables for soup bases and beans for hummus with the berry press and blender attachments.

Despite hours of continuous use the Electrolux DLX never balks, never overheats and always has plenty of power to get through whatever task it is performing.

I saw the Cook's Illustrated November 2005 article which gave the Electrolux DLX a poor rating and the KitchenAid Professional 600 the top rating. I wondered at the time whether those reviewers might have an undisclosed bias because some of their reviews for other products also have been strange. Granted I wouldn't use the Electrolux DLX to make muffins or waffle batter but I wouldn't get out a large stand mixer to do those tasks either. When I do make do a large quantity of batter it performs superbly.

The KitchenAid Professional 600 I purchased bit the dust after kneading my whole grain dough for 3 minutes. It temporarily revived and then suffered a fatal incident 2 minutes later. I returned it and bought the Electrolux DLX and haven't looked back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb machine for big jobs - 2010 update, April 8, 2006
This review is from: Electrolux White Assistent Stand Mixer 8 Qt. (Kitchen)
I was prompted to write this review because I received an email from a person who was interested in a followup review of the Electrolux DLX I purchased in 2004.

This mixer excells in dough kneading but I use it many more work hours for flaking and grinding grain, grinding meat and processing fruits and vegetables.

Our diet consists of whole grains, fruits, vegetables, grass fed dairy and meat products. I make all of our cereal, bread, crackers and other baked goods. I have a small commercial stone grinder to grind grain but I use the Electrolux DLX grain grinder for smaller jobs. I process all of our cereal with the Electrolux flaker. I grind all of our fresh meat with the meat grinder attachment. I puree vegetables for soup bases and beans for hummus with the berry press attachment.

I saw the Cook's Illustrated November 2005 article which gave the Electrolux DLX a poor rating and the KitchenAid Professional 600 the top rating. My thought at the time was that those reviewers were nutty. Granted I wouldn't use the Electrolux DLX to make muffins or waffle batter but I wouldn't get out a large stand mixer to do those tasks either.

October 2010 update:
My Electrolux DLX machine has been in heavy use for over six years - the machine continues to perform superbly for the wide variety of tasks described above. All attachments remain functional - nothing has broken - no repairs have been needed. This Electrolux DLX remains the workhorse of the kitchen. For smaller jobs I have purchased a Bamix immersion blender. It nicely complements the Electrolux DLX for mixing, pureeing, chopping jobs that don't warrant getting out the larger unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Mixer Ever!!!, June 16, 2007
This review is from: Electrolux White Assistent Stand Mixer 8 Qt. (Kitchen)
I bake a lot. Bread, cookies, cakes, muffins, etc. The bread I make is a family recipe that makes 6 loaves of whole grain bread that you can add an assortment of "what not" to it and it still tastes great. This mixer was an item of necessity I negoitated with my husband when we remodeled our kitchen 3 years ago. Just one of the appliances we had to have. And I'm so glad. And despite what other reviewers have said, it is also very good for making cookies, muffins, cakes, and a lot of other batter goods. The reason it works so well for me is that fact that it takes the load (dough 6 loaves of bread!)and when properly used, will mix other stuff as well. Pizza dough (a batch that makes 4 huge pizzas), large amounts of cookie dough (even peanutbutter cookies). The trick I found was to move the arm back and forth periodically during mixing. This grabs and incorporates batter/dough left in the middle and brings back into the rest of the action. Brilliant. And while I haven't actually used the wire whip yet, I'll bet it works just as well any other machine for whipping cream, egg whites, or what-have-you. The learning curve was maybe about a month until I had the "duh" moment when I realized I needed to move the arm now and then. And I love the bowl scraper. This machine is a good investment for someone who bakes often and in large quantities. Sure beats hand kneading 10-12 pounds of bread dough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Assistent, September 21, 2011
This review is from: Electrolux White Assistent Stand Mixer 8 Qt. (Kitchen)
First off, if you just use a mixer to make a boxed cake mix or one batch of chocolate chip cookies a year, this isn't for you, although it does both of those tasks wonderfully.

Yes, it's quarky, and the instruction manual is a little vague. There is a learning curve on how to use it. Using it takes getting use to, there's a chance you might be wearing what you are making the first time or two you use it and you will wonder if you made a terrible mistake..... however, after you get the hang of using it... you would run back into a burning building to save it, it is that good.

It is hands down the best bread maker there is, from a sticky no rise breads like zucchini bread or bannana bread to whole wheat or rye bread and everything inbetween. The yeast breads are perfectly kneeded, everytime and rises like nothing else you have ever seen. I have yet to make a dud batch of bread with it, or have anything turn out bad for that matter.

The dual wisk bowl makes amazing angel food cakes and meringue.

The timer is handy and the infinite variable speed matches whatever task you are doing from adding flour to whipping anything. Try it for homemade mayo and you will never buy a jar of mayo at the store again.

The accessories are well made and work great, I have the food processor with the extra three drums.

I replaced my six quart KitchenAid Pro 600 with the Assistent since the KitchenAid died for the second time in 18 months. The first KitchenAid died within six months, and was replaced under warrenty, the second one lasted a little over a year, not a good track record.

There is no comparision, the Assistent beats the KitchenAid Pro, not a question about it, and it's build like a tank.

I purchased mine from Pleasant Hill Grain, not only the lowest price you will find for the Assisent, but also are the most knowlegable people and nicest you'll deal with. They have stellar customer service and they communicate! From frist contact to shipping, they let you know exactly what's going on. More importantly Pleasant Hill Grain not only knows the products they sell, they have used the products they sell, so any question you might have, they have an accurate answer.

UPDATE:

OK, after having the Assistent for a good while now and using it several times a week, we have discovered the only con so far.

CON: Everybody in the house, including the dog, has put on weight.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a REAL bread maker, January 9, 2005
This review is from: Electrolux White Assistent Stand Mixer 8 Qt. (Kitchen)
This is the most fantastic machine for mixing and kneading bread. You can make 3-5 large white or "artisan" loaves in a a single batch. The bowl and cover are convenient for letting yeast sponges grow and for allowing dough to rise without drying out. I've used mine two or three days every week for two years - its very hardy. The Assistent will not wobble or travel along the counter. Dough doesn't climb up onto a greasy hook assembly or get flung out into the kitchen!

Be aware however that this does not replace your stand-mixer. It doesn't do cookies or cakes or pancakes or cheesecakes or whipped cream. You'll still need the mixer - but after the first loaf of bread you will never attach the dough hook to your kitchen-Aid again!

5.0 out of 5 stars DLX is Wonderful!, January 1, 2011
Phil Hartley (Scottsdale, AZ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Electrolux White Assistent Stand Mixer 8 Qt. (Kitchen)
I got this mixer about a month ago and, frankly, was bitten by the learning curve. The biggest thing you MUST do is to put your wet ingredients in first and then gradually add your dry ingredients. Now that I've become used to the different style, I love the mixer! I love the large open bowl that allows you to easily add ingredients and to see your dough as it progresses. It makes it simple to judge the hydration level of your dough. I make a lot of bagels, notorious for destroying KA mixers. This machine doesn't sniff at doubling or tripling quantities. It's a powerful beast. Because the bowl is open, you can leave your dough in it to rise. It comes with a nifty, high quality cover so you don't have to use plastic wrap either. Another useful attachment is the dough scraper, perfectly designed to get at the curves of the bowl. There is also a plastic bowl and whip attachment for creaming butter or whipping cream. It will handle equally well small quantities (1 egg) as well as large ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Six years and going strong, January 11, 2011
This review is from: Electrolux White Assistent Stand Mixer 8 Qt. (Kitchen)
Six years ago I researched mixers that would handle kneading and came up with the Electrolux Assistent. When I bought the mixer, I also got the blender attachment and the food processor attachment and blades. I will never have another brand mixer, and may never have to buy another one, period. It is a workhorse. It will handle large loads of heavy bread dough and whip meringue. It makes smoothies and chops veggies. The stainless steel bowl with the odd beater and scraper combo gets the job done, but so does the plastic bowl with the whipping attachment. I use the mixer at least once a week, and usually a lot more. The blender attachment will handle ice, making smoothies that are really smooth. If you want a quality item that will last, don't hesitate to buy this mixer.

5.0 out of 5 stars You just can't do better for making bread dough, January 22, 2011
This review is from: Electrolux White Assistent Stand Mixer 8 Qt. (Kitchen)
I am really surprised by the l1 nd 2 star reviews, as a professional chef, I am very demanding of my equipment, and I have had nothing but great results over the past year with my mixer. You do have to get to know how to use this mixer as it is a different design that the stand mixers we have all used in the past. I use the "rod" to mix bigger batches of dough. The roller works very well on 3-5 cups of flour recipes. I wouldn't let these negitive review stop you from buying this great machine.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›