Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Platform: PC Download|Change
Price:$19.99

on February 27, 2013
The good:

The graphics are fantastic. The interiors are meticulously crafted with great attention to detail, and the exteriors are absolutely breathtaking.

The game works fine on Windows 8. This is one of the few games where I bought the initial release and did not experience major performance bugs. In fact, I have played through twice without incidents which are not related to internet connectivity.

The custom weapons crafting is great. You can construct weapons with two fundamentally different functions. My personal favorite is a rivet chain gun with a force gun. There is a LOT of intense, close combat with multiple creatures. The force gun blows them back several feet, and the chain gun wipes them out with great efficiency. There are also instances (although relatively few) where a long range weapon comes in handy. A Seeker Rifle with a missile launcher is tremendous for these opportunities. One can create a very wide variety of different, very effective, weapons that have their uses in some of the unique situations in the game, and are just plain fun!

This game is SCARY! I'm over 50, and easily startled, but I still find a certain exhilaration from the creative (and often unforeseen) ambushes by some extremely well-designed monsters which come in a refreshingly wide variety.

The game provides a number of different strategies and tactics for different players' personalities. Oldsters like me with bad reflexes can beat the game just as well as the younger players.

The Bad:

So, why only 3 stars?

There are two design flaws in this game that I find extremely annoying, and make no sense, whatsoever.

First, the game has an automated progress save feature, and no manual progress save feature. There is NO excuse for this. It should be up to ME when to save my progress, not the developers.

Secondly, the game requires an active internet connection to start and play. I have a wireless network, and when my connection gets interrupted the game freezes during combat sequences. This just serves to magnify my irritation with the automatic saves, since I have to exit, reconnect, and then restart at a point BEFORE I lost my connection. There is no excuse for this, either. In the single-player campaign, there is NO practical reason to require an active internet connection.
44 comments|83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 13, 2013
Dead Space has evolved from the horror of the original. The third installment is a straight-up action game, despite a few scares and surprises along the way.

That said, it's a well-executed action game-- the game is polished, the story integrity is maintained from the first two installments, and a lot of exposition goes into what the 'markers' really are. You are given enough motivation to keep moving forward and you never feel like you're just wandering about aimlessly. Co-op is actually handled very, very well, including offering up incentives for co-op play. The space-walk element is fantastic; it's so good that I wish there was much more of it.

If you play through at a decent clip, you'll likely spend about 12 hours on it, and there are incentives for a second (or even a third) play-through.

What I didn't like about it? It has very little actual 'horror' left, instead substituting a few surprises to provide shock value. I suppose that you could argue that Resident Evil isn't horror anymore either, but I believe they could've really ratcheted up terror with just a few different design choices. (Of course, apparently they were forced to shift to an action focus by EA management, so they probably saw the possibilities as well, given that they're professionals and all.) The microtransaction system also is totally unnecessary-- I'd be surprised if EA made $30 on it total, since fortunately, you don't have to spend any money to complete the game.

My biggest complaint would be the weapon/ammo situation: weapon-specific ammo has been done away with in favor of a generic 'clip'. This completely removes any incentive to use more than just the one weapon you really like. It also reduces the amount situational decision-making that needs to be done. (Do I have enough ammo? Is this gun the best for what I'm probably going to run into?)

The bottom line-
Did I have fun playing it? Yes
Did it keep me playing? Yes
Did it look good? Yes (but I have a high-end rig and had all the settings at 'max')
Do I feel like I got my money's worth? Pretty much.

That said, I'd only give it 3.5 stars, because it really had a chance to set itself apart, and instead we got a forgettable Dead-Space themed shooter.
on February 12, 2013
Lots of negative reviews so I was compelled to leave my own. One of the biggest knocks on the game is that it isn't as scary as the previous ones. I'm not so sure that is so true. The fright level for Dead space 1 was largely in part of the user not knowing what to expect. Dead space 2 was a little "less scary." Part 3 is even less because by now, most players are comfortable with the environment. Combined that with the fact that the protagonist, Isaac, is now a seasoned veteran in dealing with the necromorphs. I feel that the fright level is right on par with the current storyline. It's still scary, but you know what to expect.

I am no fan of shooters, but after playing Dead Space 2 it quickly became one of the best games I've ever played in terms of being immersed in the story. I moved on to play part 1 and now with part 3 am very pleased. The ability to modify and customize your weapons is a very nice addition. You may find yourself spending a lot of time modifying your weapon depending on the situation you're in.

They also introduced "side missions." Which is nice, but they seem like the main part of the game that was just labeled side missions. I guess they're optional but I cannot imagine anyone not completing them. One nice thing that could be added to the series in future versions is the option to create a non-linear path. For example, the ability to choose which planet or area you need to go to for whatever reason fits the plot. It could be molded to be like an RPG.

I left out a star because the story is a bit strange in the way that it attempts to introduce co-op with single player. I've only played single player but the story seems odd in the way that it tries to create a storyline that fits both co-op and single player. Additionally, it seems very easy. I started out on the hard level and there is an overabundance of health, stasis refills, and ammo laying around.

Overall, a very good game. Don't let the bitterness of the way that the game is sold or delivered determine the rating of the actual game.
on July 12, 2015
Definatelly it DID NOT meet my expectations. Ea couldnt be more incredible s...upid and sale a game on steam that actually works fine and then sale dead space 3 on origin. Purchase the game and spend more time trobleshooting the game that actually playing it. The support from origin sucks big time since everytime you contact you have to start trobleshooting from start everysingle time. Even if you provide a ticket number to the agent he will not....... And i can assure you he or she WILL NOT check on the notes of the case and you have to explain your issue every single time you contact them after finishing the TS steps you did as advice from the previous agent. So you go on a never ending loop. After a week pkayed the game for 2 days as its really short. Btw... One of the agents gave me a code for origin as a gift for the issue had with the game. The code never worked..... Request a supervisor.... Never got one.
on October 22, 2013
The Dead Space series is one of my favorite game franchises. This as like the others is very entertaining. If you've played the others then you'll find the game play, story, and events to be very similar. This didn't bother me, as it's just like a continuation of the other games. I like the space maneuvering chapters in this game, always seemed like the others was lacking much of the actual EVA space scenes. Just be prepared to not stop playing this game once you start, really captures your attention and keeps you on it's toes with it's random "horror" moments. A truly unique third-person shooter.

This game has very good graphics (PC version played at max settings), and is very smooth - never noticed any jitters or frame loss. It runs great in Wine/CrossOver under a Linux OS (as all the DeadSpace games have). However I deducted one star because of EA/whoever not selling this version on Steam and forcing users to install/run Origin just to play this game. The Origin client is the biggest waste of software development I've ever seen. It is horribly buggy, slow, and in no way will ever compete with Steam. This is one of only a couple games I own that aren't on Steam, they need to realize the market potential there and give up on their failed products. (The previous two DS games were available on Steam).

The only other issue I had with this game is there were several bugs/glitches throughout it that could become annoying. Saved game/chapter corruption, unable to advance in a level and having to go back, etc. There are plenty of threads on it, if you come across any. Unfortunately they decided to fire most of the DS3 developers a long time ago, and these bugs will never be resolved. However you are able to continue playing with slight delays working around them.
on April 22, 2015
Ive played it and its fun.Just four stars but three and a half, really. However, I will NEVER link my Amazon account to EA's Origin service. No matter what kind of sucker-bait Amazon and Electronic Arts collaborate on, I will never do it.

EA also gives away a "free" game so that they are sure to get older account holders to agree to their newly revised EULA terms. I admit its clever but its also nefarious and indicative of the EA business ethic, naturally.

When you consider purchasing a videogame, today's complex requirements to actually play it, means that you can no longer separate the game from the publisher. So, when you review one the other has to also be considered.

Buying a game through Origin means getting into bed with EA. Not something to take lightly, if you value your personal privacy and consumer rights.
on September 11, 2015
I have Dead Space and Dead Space 2, but I gotta say I was most excited for this game because of the co-op.

I have actually only played it co-op, so I can't speak to the experience of it solo, but I really enjoy it. It has quite a different feel than playing solo-there are still jump scares and the horror ambiance is there, but with another person at your side it becomes more of an action shooter at times. Kind of reminds me of the path that Resident Evil has taken, but this is more of a RE5 compared to the previous games than an RE6.

Both the friend and I enjoyed the custom weapon builder and have spent more than a little time messing around with the different kinds of craftable guns. I personally enjoyed crafting a gun good for both close range and long range attacking--a plasma core with a diffraction torus and a military engine with precision tip, with upgrade circuits to increase the clip size of the rifle half. My buddy decided to go with shotgun and machine gun style weapons. The beauty of having a partner in this game is that you can complement each other--assuming you get along!

The side missions were a nice addition, because I like to explore we diverted from the story to do these quite often. Nothing special to say about them though.

Overall I liked the game, but didn't find it to be particularly challenging. We've started playing it again on a more difficult mode, but it is still fairly easy. I think once I try Hardcore mode or Pure Survival mode I will find a difference. Took that one star off just because I expected the base difficulty to be a little higher. Still, I quite enjoyed it and would probably buy again if given the choice.
on June 8, 2014
I played all Dead Space games in order of release. The central premise of this Dead Space 3 is a love triangle along with more Marker destroying. They pushed this one pretty far into the Michael Bay/Mission Impossible realm.

But DS3 is still a lot of fun and the weapon crafting is incredible. The possibilities of crafting more and more powerful weapons are almost limitless. Note that Origin includes something called Ration Seals which are gathered by the scavenger bots and placed in your inventory. You exchange the ration seals for custom weapon parts that are otherwise unavailable in the game so you must keep your scavenger bots scavenging as much as possible to get the best weapon parts.
on October 1, 2015
2 guns carried at once instead of 4? But you can modify guns to use two weapons at once? Except the main pistol in the game is standard with the attachment that makes it go from horizontal to vertical? This means you get 3 guns instead of 4. NOT SO COOL, EA!
on August 30, 2015
Not nearly as much of a scare factor as the first game, and the pace is slowed somewhat because of resource gathering and weapon crafting, but if you don't compare it to Dead Space 2, it's a great game. Definitely recommend playing with a co-op partner.