5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing blend of modern and old, genius Co-Op.
Allow me to make one thing clear from the very beginning: The heart and soul of this game lies in the Co-Op, and the marketing for it has always made that point very clear.

Now that this is out of the way, let's be tidy and start with the Single Player aspect of the game.

As far as length goes, a skilled gamer with a minimal preference to explore...
Published on March 13, 2012 by Rukumouru

3.0 out of 5 stars Subpar shooter. Nothing like the original. Obviously.
If you combined Deus Ex: Human Revolution with Modern Warfare, you'd get this game. Sometimes I forgot I was playing Syndicate. Pretty typical plot. Typical characters. I think they ripped off Deus Ex: HR pretty liberally. What makes the game standout in particular are the special abilities like persuade and hack and suicide. not enough to make or save the game honestly...
Published on July 3, 2012 by mr. e

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 411 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken since launch..., September 2, 2012
This review is from: Syndicate [Download] (Software Download)
Syndicate is the DEFINTION of abandonware. Since release there hasn't been a single patch to fix so many of the outstanding issues that plague the game, several of them game-breaking. Starbreeze (developer) has moved onto other projects and EA has publicly admitted the game was a HUGE failure and had zero intention of supporting the game post-release. Stay far, far away from this one...

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre shooter, glad I purchased on sale, August 19, 2012
This review is from: Syndicate [Download] (Software Download)
Syndicate was an "okay" shooter. I picked up for $15, so wasn't overly disappointed, but I was ready for it to be over about 3/4 of the way through.

Syndicate's main mechanic is upgrades you can unlock after you defeated certain enemies and obtain their chips similar to the one implanted in you. These different unlocks can link together to give bonuses, but overall, there were no upgrades I really saw and went "Oooh, I gotta have that". The upgrades help a little but not much. By the end, you don't receieve very many, either. You still seem to be fairly squishy and die somewhat easily. The other mechanic here is these software programs that you use like special powers. You can force a guy to kill himself and he explodes hurting others, you can convince someone to fight for you (they aren't especially helpful, but it removes an enemy and distracts others) and you can temporarily knockdown/disable an enemy by making his weapon backfire. These skills are useful but would have been more compelling to have more than just three skills.

This brings me to a very frustrating aspect of the game. There are certain bosses or sequences that were brutally hard in my opinion. The overall pacing of the game is up and down in terms of difficulty. Some bosses took 10+ tries to overcome while others was a straight up piece of cake walkover. The frustrating sequences were enough to almost uninstall this game. I was along for the ride but reluctantly many times.

The mouse control in my opinion is not very good. Aiming didn't seem smooth at all, typical of a lot of console ports. It's not game breaking but not what I come to expect from a game on PC (but not surprised considering its a port). As I mentioned, about 3/4 of the way through the game, I was rushing just to finish it to uninstall to make way for something else. There are definitely better shooters out there. If I could take it back, I wouldn't want to pay much more than $5-10 for this title.

2.0 out of 5 stars Story SOOO short and let down, March 2, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Syndicate (DVD-ROM)
This game had some real potential but failed to move me. The special moves such as suicide on others gets be be boarding after a while and some of the other perks also. If I were someone interest I would wait until it is a 10 or 5 dollar game then buy it. I bought it when it was 49 and gosh I wish I waited cause boy was it a let down. The concept was more interesting than the game. Save your money until it is cheaper.

1.0 out of 5 stars PC Gamers, please research before buying, January 3, 2014
This review is from: Syndicate (DVD-ROM)
Firstly this game uses origin. Which I would have no problem with normally, but this is the first time I've had trouble with their DRM.

A lot of people including me have had issues launching the game. The problem lies within Origins DRM apparently. This was the only fix I had been able to find that had many people confirming, http://www.starbreezeforum.se/viewtopic.php?id=1280&p=3 , seems to have stopped working. Probably because it exploited EAs DRM and EA probably patched it.

I have been trying to get this game working for hours and every time I make progress on launching the game Origin undoes it and redownloads the files I have changed setting me back to square one.

Some people have apparently gotten the game to work, but I haven't. If you think it's worth the price of the game to gamble on it working, you could buy it. As far as reviewing the content of the game: The trailer looked cool, 3 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun but dead, January 23, 2013
This review is from: Syndicate [Download] (Software Download)
This game Is very fun. The single player is fun, the music is great. But the multiplayer is dead. D:

5.0 out of 5 stars Visceral mechanics are the most important things in a shooter, November 17, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Syndicate (DVD-ROM)
I've only played maybe half an hour of this game so far so I can't really comment on the plot or the campaign, though I hear that it's kind of so-so from the reviews.

But, that being said, this game has solid mechanics and that's really all that matters in shooters.

I get a sense shooting the guns that they really rattle around and I'm having a hard time holding them still. Contrast that with the typical shooter where the guy has like NFL quarterback levels of strength and dexterity in holding the gun just so perfectly that every shot lands at the exact same spot.

Here, the guns give you a good sense of chaos and unrulyness. The graphics are pretty good, I could have sworn this was built on the Frostbite engine it looks that good, maybe even better.

The best game to compare this to is actually the Darkness II. Darkness II has gunplay that is comparably as good as this game. They feel unruly and unbound. But Darkness II also has some supernatural powers so you actually end up not using the guns so much, which is a shame.

Here, you only use the guns.

There are some abilities that you can activate. It's a sort of "channeled" thing which is cool since holding still in the middle of a firefight to activate some ability is tension-building but you get a nice reward if you pull it off. And there's a tech tree of sorts kind of like the Darkness. Since this is *not* an RPG it's not too important to worry about these things since with smart thinking you can figure out the levels.

The enemies have been pretty good so far. They take cover and they flush you out with grenades.

And movement feels like Mirror's edge minus the ledge-grabbing and wall-running. This puts you more in the action. All FPS games should handle like Mirror's Edge.

Good job, EA.

5.0 out of 5 stars nice!, October 3, 2012
This review is from: Syndicate [Download] (Software Download)
Ok so I've never bought any downloadable games from amazon, but I absolutley will be buying again. First off after buying it went straight to my origin account! Soooo easy! Game is fantastic too!

2.0 out of 5 stars So so game, June 20, 2014
I really don't care for the game much. It's not what I thought it was going to be and the multi player is lame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Syndicate [Download], May 5, 2014
This review is from: Syndicate [Download] (Software Download)
Love this game. The music that goes with it is also great, Great Graphics & color. It's one of my fav Steam Games, heck out videos on Youtube If you want to see what it's like. I might compare this game to Just Cause II, but that's just my opinion

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun game, terrible ending..., April 30, 2014
Michael S. (Dallas, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Syndicate (DVD-ROM)
I enjoyed playing this game and beat it in about 9 hours. The game ends abruptly and the ending is horrible.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 411 | Next ›