4.0 out of 5 stars Great game, not awesome port-job

Published on October 21, 2008 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars SecuROM is a deal killer, October 21, 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dead Space - PC (DVD-ROM)
This is another game I had been planning to order, until I discovered that EA has yet again placed hidden software in the game that is incredibly difficult to uninstall (and has had issues with Vista 64, my OS). I am all for companies protecting their IP, but they should find better ways to do it, such as through Steam or other verification platforms that do not install hidden software that will slow down my computer for the rest of the time I own it.

1.0 out of 5 stars DEAD ON REENTRY..., October 20, 2008
NeuroSplicer (Freeside, in geosynchronous orbit) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dead Space - PC (DVD-ROM)
When EA keeps giving birth to such beautiful yet stillborn babies (killed by the decision to bundle another infamous SecuROM 7+/LIMITED ACTIVATIONS scheme), one can only ask: WHAT HAVE ITS EXECUTIVES BEEN SMOKING?!

MASS EFFECT can be found in clearance bins only months after its release; SPORE undersold miserably; EA's stock was hit hard because of these failures (way BEFORE the market dive) - and yet, no one seems to be awake at the helm.
By insisting on slipping in such problematic and hated DRM scheme in DEAD SPACE (and RED ALERT 3 in a week) EA proves in how little respect it holds its own customers. Of course, calling "pirates and petulant children" the 3,100 Amazon reviewers that rated with 1-star the, similarly plagued, SPORE should have been an early hint.

SecuROM 7+ has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH FIGHTING PIRACY. Proof: both MASS EFFECT and SPORE (as with BIOSHOCK last year) were pirated ...hours within their release - and if I can find this by simply Googling it, so can anyone.... I would bet dollars to donuts that EA is well aware of this - yet keeps bundling SecuROM 7+ although it severely hurts its sales! Ever wonder why?

SecuROM has always been more about data-mining and reporting back to its occasional mothership than...fighting piracy. That is why even FREE demos contain SecuROM. And that is why completely uninstalling a game plagued with SecuROM will NOT remove SecuROM - which will keep playing havoc with your system.

Lately, these security concerns have been accentuated as known Trojans seem to be exploiting SecuROM's backdoor access for their own purposes. In effect, installing a SecuROM-infected game in our computer will be placing your hardware and data at risk long after having uninstalled the game.

The game publishers that utilize SecuROM (such as EA) realize that they are not actually fighting piracy but use it as a pretext to bundle SecuROM with their product WITHOUT THE INFORMED CONSENT of their customers. A snooping-subroutine would require full disclosure whereas an "antipiracy" scheme can enjoy some more leeway.

Their near future plans (according to interviews given by their own executives) call for turning our computers into their proprietary consoles where we will be playing games for which we will be paying by the minute.
This nightmarish Pay-per-Play future apparently depends in them first consolidating their technological hold on as many computers as possible. After all, they see us as their cash-cows and they just started herding us in.

I, for one, REFUSE TO PAY FOR ANOTHER RENT-A-GAME.

Tell you what EA, you can keep your defective games and I will keep my hard-earned money. Let's see who has more to loose...

1.0 out of 5 stars Would have been nice if I could play it (UPDATED : I played it), October 22, 2008
This review is from: Dead Space - PC (DVD-ROM)
Went to Best Buy to buy a new Wiimote yesterday and saw this game. I bought both.

Came back and install it on my Dell Dimension 9200, which is about as pre-built as you can get right? No vista driver problems for me, right?

WRONG. 2 + 2 = giraffes WRONG.

First I had to tell my antivirus and spyware software about a BILLION times to let secure-rom install.

Second I installed it and rebooted.

Third my dvd drive no longer works.

I am not sure what changed between Bioshock and this game cause I bought Bioshock and had no problem with secure-rom back then. I bought bioshock full price and don't regret a single cent because I ACTUALLY GOT TO PLAY BIOSHOCK. I finished bioshock without even cracking it (although I eventually did for a second play-through, cause who wants to find the dvd everytime right).

REVIEW UPDATED :

Funny thing. I never did install Dead Space again on my system. I just can't risk having SecureRom on it again since I actually do tons of work on it. So here is a review of a cracked version of the game, as opposed to the boxed copy which now sits next to other games I don't play anymore (poor HL2). I think EA should have an option when you insert the disk that lets you chose between installing their DRM version or downloading a cracked one. I am joking but I totally am not.

The game runs nicely on my Dell Dimension 9200, which ran Bioshock and COD4 on high just fine. If you compare it to PC exclusive titles you can tell the textures in this game is low quality. Nevertheless, it has a nice, polished look.

The controls are fine. I tried it with my xbox 360 control but just can't bring myself to play any kind of fps without keyboard/mouse. The game forces the mouse turn rate so your character can't magically turn 180 degrees in half a second. This didn't bother me, and I actually think it's a nice way to add some realism into the controls.

The overall experience is effective and addictive, if not for the reason the developer stated. They said it was mostly about psychological fear, with help from shadows and music. The game is actually mostly about enemies popping out or dropping down from ceilings. They said it's about strategic dismemberment. It's strategic the first 5 times, by then it's more like habitual dismemberment. Shoot limbs for maximum damage doesn't require more IQ than boom headshot.

Nevertheless, the game just flows very well, and lots of little things are put into it to keep you in the game world 99% of the time. It's obvious the developers put a lot of thought into the interface and controls. It's something new to the genre that future games can learn from.

So now having played the game (I plan on replaying it on Easy so I can just wack the enemies to death, and then on Hard to give myself more of a rush) I think it's worth the money. However, a big part of the reason I think that is cause I played a cracked copy put together by the pirates which installed the game and not secure rom. So I'm very conflicted about the whole thing. I definitely don't want any more secure rom nonsense but at the same time I'm happy I bought the game (to support more games like this on my PC). I guess I'll continue to buy games with secure rom if it's good enough like this one or bioshock, but I'll still be playing the vastly superior pirated copy instead. Everybody wins, I guess. At least everybody who is honest enough to buy the game, and then smart enough to download a cracked copy too :/

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game, not awesome port-job, December 5, 2010
RobertM525 (Portland, Oregon, USA) - See all my reviews
Dead Space is definitely a good game and I don't regret buying it, but the port from Xbox 360/Playstation 3 was clearly a half-a**ed job. The mouse and keyboard are typically a much, much better interface than a game controller for shooters, in my opinion, but this game eliminates much of that because of how badly it was ported. The game treats the mouse as if it's an analog stick on a game console and as a result it's really wonky--the mouse sensitivity is very non-linear and it has a huge "dead zone" where precise, small mouse movements literally do not move the cursor (in other words, the game has dramatic, obnoxious non-adjustable mouse acceleration). In a game where precise aiming is quite important, this is a problem--I can't properly dismember Necromorphs if I can't precisely (and quickly!) aim my weapons.

Fortunately, you can mitigate this somewhat by turning Vsync off (and enabling Triple-Buffering through video card drivers manually to compensate for the horrible screen tearing that results from turning Vsync off) and turning the mouse sensitivity to max. It makes the game perfectly playable, but it never feels quite as good as most PC shooters do, which is rather disappointing. If you don't do this, it feels like you're aiming/looking in mud--it's really obnoxious. Also, EA has stated that they have NO INTENTION WHATSOEVER to patch the game to fix this, so if you're hoping that that could solve the problem, I wouldn't hold your breath (the game is also already two years old as of this review and its sequel is imminent).

The game looks and runs great otherwise. I'm playing it at 1920x1080 ("1080p") on Windows 7 with 3GB of RAM, an Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 (2.66GHz), and an EVGA nVidia Geforce 9600GT.

My first play through took about 16 hours to complete. I greatly prefer if a game has 30+ hours on a single play through, but pure shooters don't often hit that mark and the game makes some attempts to deliver replayability with the perks given for second play throughs. Granted, these would be more useful if the difficulty of the game could be increased on these other play throughs (or at any other time, like many games allow now) to compensate for your better gear, but at least it's something. In any case, the price right now is *really* low (I paid about US$10.50), so even if the game is short, it's not hard to feel like you're getting your money's worth here.

The story is pretty decent (if derivative) but the execution is what makes it more compelling--voice acting, atmospheres, etc. Given that the game has been out for a while, it seems unnecessary to go into depth on this part of the game, as there are a lot of good reviews out there that are basically platform-independent if you're curious about the game in general.

Finally, I opted for the Digital Download version of the game since it was the same price as the disc version and Amazon lets you re-download the game later if you want to. This worked perfectly and I'm quite impressed with the process. Kudos to Amazon for getting this system put together well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Please Stop with the DRM, EA!, October 22, 2008
This review is from: Dead Space - PC (DVD-ROM)
If you like software as a service, go ahead and spend your hard-earned cash on a game with no resale value. Others have already told you how much fun it is to fight with SecuROM for control of your own system.

This is brutal, it's unfair, and I hope other companies don't follow in EA's footsteps.

Hopefully, Left4Dead will deliver a fun gore-fest without killing my computer in the process.

1.0 out of 5 stars SECUROM, October 22, 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dead Space - PC (DVD-ROM)
I read reviews.. the game looks brilliant.

Like most PC users, I use my PC for all sorts of things - working on photography, graphics, producing video, preparing content for my media center. I simply CAN NOT risk EA installing hacked up drivers on the machines of their customers and offer no way to uninstall to top if off.

By using this technology EA is effectively installing software that has proven to be problematic in the past. Also EA's new systems remove any resale value from the game - so once you have played it, you won't be able to trade it in or sell it. Even if you just re-install your OS a few times over the years or swap out your motherboard you could be faced with your own game refusing to install.

MY opinion - if I buy a game I want to be sure it isn't messing up my machine, I can do whatever I want with it - including selling it once I've played it through and getting some money back. EA is being greedy and not disclosing the full extent of their attempts to restrict how people who pay good money for their games can use them.

And to top it all off -EA has started flogging in game advertising (not sure about this particular game) so you pay for a game, it does nasty stuff to your computer, you can't uninstall the shifty drivers, you can't resell the game and you have to watch ads that EA is making MORE money on.

EA - pull your head in. Developers must be devastated that their hard work is crippled by your desperate attempt to enforce shoddy DRM control mechanisms on your paying customers. You have to wonder when you get a better product (DRM free) when you PIRATE it.

By from other distributors until EA stops abusing its customers.

-=Liperty

1.0 out of 5 stars Scary, but DRM makes me sad, October 22, 2008
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dead Space - PC (DVD-ROM)
This game has great atmosphere. It can be very creepy at times with the lights off and sound surrounding you. Unfortunately the controls are pretty sloppy for the PC.

But the deal killer is the DRM. What if I want to play this in 10 years and EA is no longer around (it will happen someday!). Who knows if you will be able to get it working then. Also as someone who upgrades their computer a lot the install limit is a pain in the butt. At the very least they could include a revoke tool like there is for Bioshock. And all the morons at EA who think everyone who gives their DRM games 1 star are pirates don't seem to notice that it doesn't stop them from cracking it so why would they bother to complain. Only the paying customers are getting screwed with it, the pirates easily crack it and release it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible control scheme in the PC version, plus nasty DRM, October 21, 2008
This review is from: Dead Space - PC (DVD-ROM)
The PC version has probably the worst control scheme of any game I've played in the last two year; whoever came up with the mouse controls needs to find a different career path. Add draconian DRM on top of it and you have a recipe for FAIL.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dud Space, October 21, 2008
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dead Space - PC (DVD-ROM)
I was excited about this game and bought it when it came out, only to be disappointed. The weird third person/first person shooter was interesting at first but kind of got annoying half way through the game, because it blocks a third of your screen. The game plot was way to predictable since it seemed to be based on Doom 3 story line (truly original) and reminded me of a bad Resident Evil. I also found a way to get the DRM off my computer. I just did a reformat because the SecuRom software kept my DVD burner from being recognized by windows. What bothered me more was I just found out that hackers are using a Trojan that uses the DRM to gain access to computers. I am little worried that my banking info and credit cards have been compromised.

*Update: I tried calling EA three times with some questions (15 to 20 min call). And have yet been able to talk to a human. Every time I get through all the Automated B.S. and transfers me, click they hang up. I guess that's where the case by case basis comes into play. I also have been emailing SecuROM and all they did was blow me off. After the forth email they might of suggested that it was their fault, by sending a tool to fix my problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes securerom blows, but the game is a blast!, May 2, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dead Space - PC (DVD-ROM)
First and foremost, the game is playable with either a mouse/keyboard or 360 controller scheme, but it is clear after playing it for a short while that the game was not optimised well for the m/k scheme. It's unfortunate, as I think it would have made the game more enjoyable for PC users who are acclimated to the m/k scheme. In the end, I've come to accept that some of the better games that started out as 360/PS3 games and were then ported to the PC absolutely require a gamepad. It's just the reality of the situation boys and girls. Once you get used to playing ports using a 360 gamepad (yes, an actual wired 360 pad that you can get for 15 bucks at the pawn shop will work perfectly with updated windows drivers), you'll realise that the game was intended with the pad in mind, and end up enjoying the game a heck of a lot more.

Now that the control issue is out of the way, the game is really, really, fun. It's scary as s&!t and not for the faint of heart, but isn't that what folks who enjoy this genre are looking for? The change from the headshot always finishing the job is quite refreshing. Whoever thought up the idea that aliens might not bleed out from a simple headshot, and that cutting off all of the limbs would be the optimal way to remove the vital fluids, is a genius. Yes, I'm getting a bit graphic here, but anyone reading this is probably wanting to know what it's really like, and this is it. It's the goriest, most entertaining, adult horror game in recent history. When Undying came out many years ago, I thought it could never be topped. Well folks, I haven't gotten far enough to comment as to whether it tops Undying's story, but it's definitely giving it a run for its money so far.

I do wish to comment regarding the Securerom issue (ANYONE AT EA LISTENING HERE???????), as it does absolutely NOTHING to prevent pirating. Rather, it does a great job at deterring literally tens if not hundreds of thousands of people from not buying your product. Do us all a favor by dropping the Securerom and finding a manageable way to protect your product without screwing up a good portion of honest folks' computers. Mine wasn't affected, by the way, but I always breathe a sigh of relief after the install of any game with Securerom or a similar unreliable anti-copy product doesn't cause irreparable damage to my 'puter.

Last, but not least, do your due diligence and make sure your computer can run the game. I have an Intel Core Duo 2.67 with a 512 MB GeForce 9800GT and 2 GB of DDR2 RAM running at 1066 on a stock 1066 bus mobo (twinturbo mobos rock!). This does the trick nicely with everything on max settings and using my native resolution of 1440x900 (widescreen LCD), but I wouldn't want anything less, particularly if I absolutely had to run it with the mouse and keyboard scheme. Again, it's playable with some tweaking, but the 360 pad is definitely the way to go.

Cheers,