Industrial-Sized Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Outdoor Deals on Tikes

Format: PaperbackChange

on August 17, 2009
This is one of the few texts that covers both analog and digital electronics at the introductory level. This fall marks the eleventh consecutive semester I have used this text for an Introduction to Electrical Engineering course. But that's not because it's a great book, it's because it seems to be the only one in the category.

The course I use it for is an intro to actual engineering concepts with science and math, it is not an intro to the engineering field. As such, I need a book with scientific engineering material instead of the soft stuff like "Welcome to engineering, here's what electrical engineers do, these are the industries and products that use electrical engineering, etc." This book has some of that, but also plenty of actual engineering content. In fact it's much more in-depth than I need, but much more basic than typical circuit analysis and digital electronics texts (which is a good thing for an intro course).

My problem with the book is that it's meant more for the individual to learn on their own. It is not very well suited to use as a course text for several reasons. Sorely lacking in this text are homework problems and example problems with solutions. Repeat: There are no homework problems in this book that you can assign to students. There is no instructor guide or other supplemental resources either.

I use this book because I can't find a better alternative that mixes a basic introduction of both analog and digital circuits. If I could find another text that did the job I would use it instead. However, this one is a reasonable price as far as textbooks go so I take the good with the bad and keep hoping that a better book will surface someday (hopefully soon).
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse