Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

Format: DVD|Change

on January 22, 2008
I have to start out by saying that I'm not normally a ballet fan or have done ballet since I was 4 or 5, but I wanted to try this to mix up my current routine and use different muscles for some cross training. I am really happy with how great this workout is.
It's an intense lower body workout with ballet inspired moves. Because you work deep into muscles, it's designed to help you get that long lean body look that ballet dancers have. Elise is a good instructor with great cuing so you know what to do next at all times. I love the outdoor setting (instead of the inside of a studio for a change); it's great to do a workout that has been done outside to make you feel like it's Summer all year round and motivate you that little bit more.
I never thought this would be a workout that would be for me, but it's very enjoyable and fun and you feel the next day all those muscles you've used and I can't wait to see the results from this. I love it.
0Comment| 396 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2007
For someone that has tried just about every home workout genre out there. This DVD finally offers something that is refreshingly new to my living room! This workout is ideal for those who have danced for years and people that have never even tried on a pair of ballet slippers. The DVD is simple to pick up, and challanging to get through. The filming is elegant and the instruction is far from the cheesy power workout "motivation" that irritate me so much. After you've completed this workout, you feel like you've, not only toned up, but also learned a few things! For someone that has grown tired of the home workout video, this couldn't have come at a better time!
0Comment| 296 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 27, 2009
I exercise 5-6 days a week doing cardio all days and toning the other. I'm not going to lie. I thought this workout would be an easy, breezy workout that I'd get through with my eyes closed. So I popped in the DVD brought a chair over, my water and a towel. Elise came on and I noted she recommended no shoes. Great! I kicked off my sneakers and began the warm-up. Hmmm, thinking not too bad. I'm liking the relaxing scenery and calming music. Next thing you know I'm doing a million different kind of plies, my legs are screaming, I'm taking a break here and there and dripping with sweat all while Elise continues the workout with grace and a permanent smile. WHAT IN THE WORLD! All I can say is this workout is NO joke! The focus is primarily on the core and legs. The muscles in your legs are the largest in your body, therefore it takes way more energy doing a squat or plie versus a bicep curl or stomach crunch. Hence why my heart rate was so high right off the bat. Further you keep your arms in various ballet positions (i.e. rarely down) so you are engaging the upper body, lower body and the core all at once. After about 30 minutes or so of leg work utilizing a chair for balance, you move on to a series of various jumps, again my heart rate climbed. Finally you move to the floor for some ab work and then the cool down. I was absolutely amazed at how fit Elise is. To do this workout without breaking a sweat and keeping a smile on her face fascinated me as I was huffing and puffing and working on my balance and engaging my core and trying to lift my leg just THAT much higher. This is an awesome workout! Definitely think it's something to build into your workout routines atleast three times a week. Excellent DVD!
0Comment| 142 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 23, 2007
I didn't really know what to expect when I tried this dvd. I am an intermediate/advanced level, but I knew that it would be challenging, as I have never tried ballet before. Even so, this was a very pleasant, yet rigorous workout. I definitly feel like I worked out and I also broke a sweat. I know that this workout will contribute to toning and slimming my legs, which is an area I personally would like to improve, as well as the rest of my body. The ab section incorporates many pilates type exercises to tone and tighten the midsection. Even though I regularily do pilates, I really felt my abs more than I expected. The setting was beautiful and the instruction was very pleasant and relaxing without causing you to lose focus to exert yourself. I enjoyed this workout, thought it was effective and enjoyable. Anyone who is involved in dance or who wants to maintain or obtain a long lean physique will enjoy this workout.
0Comment| 240 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 26, 2008
After going through this video, it is exactly what I have been looking for (and the price was so good! At $8 it is a bargain, the video and sound quality is much, much more than a $8 workout dvd to me). I wanted something challenging that would be a good filler for days when I can't get to the gym. It's going to become much more than that because it is that good.

Likes:
>The scenery is wonderful as other reviewers have said.

>The use of a chair and not a barre - when she switches to the other side to work the other leg, she physically moves the chair to the other side. In other ballet videos where they've used a barre, usually I have to pause the tape because I can't quite get my chair moved around fast enough to start working the other side (they just turn around and start doing the exercises; if I turn around I'm no longer facing the TV :-)).

>The fact that the voice cueing is done as a voice over, instead of by the person doing the exercises, this makes it VERY easy to follow

>Recognition all along the way that not everyone is as flexible - and continuous encouragement that with time flexibility will come

Overall, it is an excellent dvd and I'm glad I bought it.
0Comment| 130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 5, 2008
I absolutely love this video! I've never practiced ballet, so I was a little intimidated at first. Rather than being a how-to on ballet, it was a more ballet inspired workout. I am terribly out of shape, and this video left me with sore muscles for three days. In a good way. I can already see more definition, after one workout. I certainly found that to be worthwhile.
on December 22, 2007
My legs were SHAKING after completing this workout and I've been doing the NYC Ballet workouts 1 and 2 for over a year plus 2 ballet classes once a week and an hour of cardio on the treadmill 5 days a week. This is a great workout and she makes you feel like a beautiful ballet dancer no matter your skill level. I can't wait to keep doing this workout-- I want to see what I look like in a month!!
Tip--- the only chair I had on hand wasn't tall enough or sturdy enough for this workout. I recommend a tall chair that doesn't fold!
11 comment| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 4, 2007
this workout makes you feel like a 6ft tall ballerina. it's so good i finally got up off my butt to write a review (my first on amazon). great combination of ballet and exercise, and her voice & instruction make you feel like a dancer!
on May 24, 2013
I've been doing Russian ballet since age 5 and Pointe since age 13, and I felt the need to write a review to let perspective buyers know that this workout DVD is wonderful! I know a lot of the negative reviews complain that the routine is too repetitive and boring, but those people have obviously never taken a ballet class before because barre repetition is what makes up 75% or more of class. As an example, my instructor changed our class from an hour to an hour and a half because she refused to do less than an hour of barre work and didn't have any time to do floor work or practice our dance routine. This workout DVD was almost identical to my ballet class but with less repetition of each move and slightly different arm positions. For those people who felt the workout wasn't difficult enough, one thing to keep in mind is ballet isn't supposed to leave you dripping in sweat like an Insanity or P90X workout; it's about slow and precise movements that create thin, toned muscles. With this DVD, you WILL feel it and see results. Whether you are an experienced ballerina or someone who always wanted to try ballet, this workout routine is an excellent example of what ballet class entails.
on December 2, 2008
I trained as a dancer (tap, jazz, ballet demi and Pointe) from age 3 to 19 years old. I am 32 and out of shape, very overweight. This DVD is wonderful. I cried the first time because it was memory lane for me. Elise takes you through the basics of ballet. Don't think this is she she foofoo workout. This is hard core kick your butt workout. You will sweat. I have had the DVD for 3 weeks now and I still haven't made it through the entire workout yet, but I will and I have already seen results. My legs, feet and ankles look wonderful, strong not body builder strong, lean, toned well shaped. My posture has improved greatly. I do this workout 3-4 times a week. Each time I go a little bit further. I love it it's a must have. Even people who have never danced before can do this, BUT pace yourself. It takes time. I trained for years and I still needed to pace myself as I'm starting back after 13 year hiatus. Elise did a wonderful job. By far my favorite workout DVD ever. I actually look forward to ballet dancing again. Total body workout. I walk in addition to this and I sleep better, feel better and my body is changing. My BFF 10 year old daughter said to me yesterday "you look smaller in you face". Needless to say I threw in an extra session yesterday, I haven't noticed my face. Such a self esteem booster for me.

The scenery on this DVD is lovely and tranquil, makes you want to exercise. Elise's voice is calming and soothing, her dictation is clear, easy to understand and follow. You need only a chair for balance and barefoot is best. Can it get any better??? Get this DVD and try it. If you actually hate it and I can't see anyone not liking it donate it to the public library. I have nothing but good reports for Elise and this DVD.