Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

Color: " L " Connector for Apple MacBook Pro|Change

on June 26, 2014
Prior install/replacement issues will most likely occur as the Apple power adapater is not designed to easily come apart. You need to put the power adapter in vice grips with just a little slack that you can separate the the plastic. Then take strong needle nose pliers and use all your strength to break the plastic apart at the cable wrapping hinge part of the adpater (you use your strength to OPEN the pliers at point). If this is confusing, check YouTube visual details on this method. You can also expect to have an ugly power adapter after replacing your MagSafe wire.

The cable quality seems to be fine. An untrained eye I believe would not be able to notice a difference at all. My only complaint is that mine did not come with any instructions. I was prepared for this but what I did not expect was to have 2 different colored internal wires. My original cable had a white and black and this replacement cable had a red and black. I went ahead and desoldered the original and was nervous about crossing the ground and 16v wires on the new cable and my adapter.

Solution:

Grabbed my multimeter with continuity buzzer and put one end on the RED internal cable and the other end on each pin of the MagSafe connector. This indicates which pin corresponds with which internal wire. So the middle pins on the MagSafe are linked with the internal white wire while the 2 pins on each end of the MagSafe connector are linked with the red internal wire. This can be confirmed with a pin-out diagram of a MagSafe connector (google image search).

Once this was confirmed, I soldered the RED internal wire to the original power adapter board lead that was labeled RTN (aka ground or GND). Then I soldered the white cable to other lead and began to assemble my adapter back together. I used Gorilla glue around the perimeter of the plastic and then vice grips to apply heavy pressure on each side. After hours of curing time, I then wrapped electrical tape around the entire adapter to keep it from separating. The end result was a very solid and semi-ugly adapter that works great.

If you have some spare time and are skilled in soldering then this will save you a good bit of coin. It is not the easiest fix and the seller should include instructions for each adapter it can apply with. I give this an overall score of 4/5 stars due to the above mentioned procedure and value this provides.

Sean Maxwell
44 comments| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 9, 2015
The wire just before the connector was broken so instead of buying a whole new power supply I bought this and cut it to expose the wire shielding and the center wire, twisted the wire from both cables together, put a thin layer of black tape, then so white heat shrink tubing and I was back in business! Looks pretty good if you ask me.
review image
on June 9, 2015
Easy to pop open the main power box with a knife or thin screw driver. Don't bother with sodering, just cut the original 2 connector cords, blacky and whitey, at the ends so they will be maximally long to work with, so lop it all off right at the white rubber piece. Strip the rubber to give enough length to the wire clumps. Then lengthen the wire area on the new cable, this product, by stripping the rubber just the same. Then wind them around each other and use a Single Cut of Electrical Tape to do a few birds with one stone - wrap the new connected wires so that they are both covered but can't touch each other (by spreading them out before placing tape), then use the rest of the piece to bundle the 2 clumps together. Stuff it in, insert the rubber part properly and pop everything back together. I wrapped the power box with electrical tape so it wouldn't come open (luckily I had white electrical tape on hand), and voila.

Tools - little knife and some electrical tape. I had it done real fast, it was way easier than i thought. Works perfectly now. I'll go this route for future instances, and have a really easy time installing future ones.
on January 27, 2015
This won't get 5 stars until I've used it for a while, but I just replaced my faulty factory cable with this, and so far all is well. Feels like just as much as quality in the construction as the original Apple cable (which, granted, is still not great). LED in the magsafe end functions properly. At this point, I would definitely order another if I needed.

ALSO just a PSA: I ordered this because the cable jacket had ripped resulting in fraying and damage to the conductors inside. This occurred right at the base of the cable, near the transformer block. I failed to research this properly online until I'd already ordered this, so I just went ahead with it, but this is a very common failure. This resulted in a class action lawsuit against apple, resulting in the MagSafe 2 cables being built with sturdier jackets. So, to the point: If the cable failed at that specific point, just go to the Apple Store and say the magic words "class action lawsuit" and "give me a new one, please". Say it politely too, because nobody likes helping a jerk. :)
on August 21, 2015
I ordered two of these and they worked perfectly. With a little skill, youtube and proper tools I was able to repair both of my apple wall chargers in 30 minutes. I recommend this cable to anyone who does not want to pay retail for a new wall charger.

Here is a link to the youtube guide that I used.

or

on September 22, 2014
It came extremely quickly (which my girlfriend doesn't approve of, but I think is great). Soldered it up and works like a charm. It's only been about an hour, but it's a very basic component, I anticipate no issues.
on October 14, 2015
Based on one of the other reviewer's experiences, I decided to attempt to verify the cable before installing it. I wanted to make sure that the pinout on the magsafe connector matched the wiring on the other end of the cable in the same manner as the original. A simple continuity test should have verified this (make sure current supplied to the cable comes out the other end in the right place :-)

Well, imagine my surprise when I discovered that there was a short in the cable! When supplying power to either of the leads, there is current being fed to both sets of pins. There is a voltage drop across to the "wrong" set of pins, but there is current flowing regardless. I then tested the original cable to make sure that this was not an expected behavior. (this could happen if there are active electronics in the cable itself) The original cable was clean - no current bleed.

So, this one is going back and I may try a different vendor/brand...
on January 30, 2015
Just finished doing my happy dance after soldering this cable in successfully and realizing that I just saved myself over $70 from having to buy another stable power supply (and avoiding the cheap imitation power supply fire hazards) for my MacBook. WOOHOO!

The product's pictures shows black and red wires but just remember that black is usually always negative so it will be black no matter what. The one I was shipped had black and WHITE wires. I tested both of these on a multimeter to make sure they were good to go and then soldered them in accordingly to what I just wrote - black as black and white as where the red one would be. This video was a great reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rh7bg9Q018.

One thing that the video doesn't mention is that there could still be power surging through your power supply even if it's unplugged. I would leave it unplugged for at least 48 hours before you start prying it open and moving shields around to get to the circuit board just to be safe. Also, be careful when prying open your power supply so you don't accidentally crack the case by bending it backwards too aggressively.

Did I say I was done doing my happy dance? Maybe I'll do it again at least one more time.
on December 13, 2015
I bought it on January 26 2015. By Late November 2015' this cable was useless. Visually, no damage from outside. This was used for my stationary MacBook. Cable stayed in place entire time but still it failed some how. It did not even last entire year.
review image review image
on November 20, 2014
This is exactly what I needed to repair an older Apple magsafe charger that had the business end break at the strain relief. This is the complete cable that connects from the charger block to the computer. The wire leads were even tinned for easy soldering and the rubber grommet was a perfect fit. By far, the easiest and cheapest method to repair your Apple magsafe charger.
It will require you to open your charger (it is a PITA but doable) and you can search the web for lots of ways that this can be done.