4.0 out of 5 stars Well organized, but inconsistent level. Elementary?
I was assigned this book for teaching my 100-level college intro-stats course. It is much better organized than the previous book I used, but it isn't as thorough. Some topics, such as calculating a median and other percentiles using depth on an ordered list, are simply omitted in this book.

It seems that some topics are omitted or glossed over because they...
Published on February 24, 2007 by MagicSkip

2.0 out of 5 stars :sigh:
Elementary Statistics was the book required for my class this semester and let me tell you - IT SUCKS!

This book pulls numbers out of thin air constantly and instead of telling you how to apply (or come up with) a formula it will just say something like "use a calculator to find ______"

I honestly learned more from google than from this book, and...
Published on May 26, 2007 by B. Crawford

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Well organized, but inconsistent level. Elementary?, February 24, 2007

It seems that some topics are omitted or glossed over because they might be too complex for "Elementary" statistics. On the other hand, the more complex topics in the book, such as hypothesis testing -- a topic that students consistently have a hard time understanding -- are not covered in enough depth.

Our students are sold this book in a package with videos on CD, a study guide, and a couple other things. This package is, in my opinion, worthless to a student in a class. They may be valuable to someone teaching themselves, or to a student in an online class, but for a live class, I think they are a waste of money.

The CD videos show a teacher working through the topics and some of the problems in the book. However, the teacher seems to have, (hands flail) y'know, a highly repetitive, (hands flail) y'know, (hands flail) vocabulary (hands flail), and it's (hands flail) y'know (hands flail) really hard to (hands flail) y'know, watch him (hands flail) y'know, teach. Like his hands have a nervous tic or something. I'm sure I have my own quirks in class, but this guy... his hands are something else.

All in all, I think the book is pretty good, with solid examples, well-highlighted definitions and key points. The chapter exercises are good in that they start VERY easy and progress through up to reasonably difficult, while staying within the limits of the text.

I told my department head: I like the book, but I recommend it without the bonus materials (and associated costs!).

2.0 out of 5 stars :sigh:, May 26, 2007

I honestly learned more from google than from this book, and can't figure out why someone would make this required reading material for any class.

2.0 out of 5 stars Student Solutions Manual for Elementary Statistics-Picturing the World, 4th edition, March 25, 2010
L. Coyle (North Little Rock, AR) - See all my reviews
I am disappointed with the solutions manual. There are too many problems that have only the answer instead of the steps to solve the problem. Students who are taking online or distance classes need the step-by-step solution of the problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, August 9, 2008
Excellent book! This is an easy to follow textbook for elementary statistics. There are a lot of examples and a lot of exercise to practice what you learned in the examples. I didn't purchase the student study pack, but several students in my class did and it really helped a lot.

1.0 out of 5 stars Get your act together!, February 25, 2007
This text is in its third edition, and the NUMEROUS wrong answers in back of the book still haven't been corrected!

3.0 out of 5 stars Math book for school, May 21, 2014
This was a book that I needed for a course. It served its purpose and I was happy to sell it back to the bookstore where it belonged.

4.0 out of 5 stars All the answers, February 23, 2013
Just what I expected.And it has a recipe for a great pizza. I only with it would have had an apple pie.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, March 1, 2015
They are the same from 3rd to 5th edition . Savery your money, the difference is not important.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cover is Misleading..., October 30, 2009
This is definitely a fast moving education in Statistics. The cover makes it look and sound like a phonics book from grammar school. It is not. Statistics is hard to learn, from my perspective, any way you approach it. On the other hand, this book help me get an "A"!

5.0 out of 5 stars Statistics, April 26, 2010
I received the book with lightning speed from the seller. The book itself is great. It is well organized and easy to understand, easy to ready. It makes Statistic not a bad or scary subject to encounter.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Elementary Statistics (Picturing the World, [BOOK & CD-ROM])
Used & New from: $0.01