Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation Learn more

VINE VOICEon February 24, 2007
I was assigned this book for teaching my 100-level college intro-stats course. It is much better organized than the previous book I used, but it isn't as thorough. Some topics, such as calculating a median and other percentiles using depth on an ordered list, are simply omitted in this book.

It seems that some topics are omitted or glossed over because they might be too complex for "Elementary" statistics. On the other hand, the more complex topics in the book, such as hypothesis testing -- a topic that students consistently have a hard time understanding -- are not covered in enough depth.

Our students are sold this book in a package with videos on CD, a study guide, and a couple other things. This package is, in my opinion, worthless to a student in a class. They may be valuable to someone teaching themselves, or to a student in an online class, but for a live class, I think they are a waste of money.

The CD videos show a teacher working through the topics and some of the problems in the book. However, the teacher seems to have, (hands flail) y'know, a highly repetitive, (hands flail) y'know, (hands flail) vocabulary (hands flail), and it's (hands flail) y'know (hands flail) really hard to (hands flail) y'know, watch him (hands flail) y'know, teach. Like his hands have a nervous tic or something. I'm sure I have my own quirks in class, but this guy... his hands are something else.

All in all, I think the book is pretty good, with solid examples, well-highlighted definitions and key points. The chapter exercises are good in that they start VERY easy and progress through up to reasonably difficult, while staying within the limits of the text.

I told my department head: I like the book, but I recommend it without the bonus materials (and associated costs!).
55 comments|14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 26, 2007
Elementary Statistics was the book required for my class this semester and let me tell you - IT SUCKS!

This book pulls numbers out of thin air constantly and instead of telling you how to apply (or come up with) a formula it will just say something like "use a calculator to find ______"

I honestly learned more from google than from this book, and can't figure out why someone would make this required reading material for any class.
on March 25, 2010
I am disappointed with the solutions manual. There are too many problems that have only the answer instead of the steps to solve the problem. Students who are taking online or distance classes need the step-by-step solution of the problems.
on February 25, 2007
This text is in its third edition, and the NUMEROUS wrong answers in back of the book still haven't been corrected!
on August 9, 2008
Excellent book! This is an easy to follow textbook for elementary statistics. There are a lot of examples and a lot of exercise to practice what you learned in the examples. I didn't purchase the student study pack, but several students in my class did and it really helped a lot.
on May 21, 2014
This was a book that I needed for a course. It served its purpose and I was happy to sell it back to the bookstore where it belonged.
on February 23, 2013
Just what I expected.And it has a recipe for a great pizza. I only with it would have had an apple pie.
on March 1, 2015
They are the same from 3rd to 5th edition . Savery your money, the difference is not important.
on June 15, 2013
Thank you for helping me make it through school. If you need to save money from the expensive book store this seller is the way to go!!

its only 3 stars because I don't know an author that can make statistics fun.
on October 30, 2009
This is definitely a fast moving education in Statistics. The cover makes it look and sound like a phonics book from grammar school. It is not. Statistics is hard to learn, from my perspective, any way you approach it. On the other hand, this book help me get an "A"!