1 Review

3.0 out of 5 stars Great examples, difficult to learn from, May 15, 2008
P (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elements of Applied Stochastic Processes (Hardcover)
I used this book for a stochastic processes class this semester, and didn't feel it was the best book to learn from (it might be good for reference, but I'm giving a student's perspective). I felt that this book made the subject more difficult than it actually is. When introducing a new concept, the authors tend to provide a formal definition without going further and explaining what that actually signifies in ordinary terms. A self-learner might have a hard time without somebody to explain some key concepts that are quite easy to understand, but a bit opaque as presented in this book.

What I did like about this book is the many interesting examples that the authors included. Examples from manufacturing, medicine, weather forecasting, finance, even politics are included, and are really helpful to learn from and show how stochastic processes can be applied in different situations.

Elements of Applied Stochastic Processes
Elements of Applied Stochastic Processes by U. Narayan Bhat (Hardcover - September 6, 2002)
$179.00 $137.18
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.