4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book for Beginners

2.0 out of 5 stars It serves a purpose
Published 2 months ago by KingUrameshi

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book for Beginners, April 12, 2012
This review is from: The Elements of Moral Philosophy (Paperback)
I am not widely read in ethics or philosophy in general. I took an introductory philosophy course as an undergrad and did not return to studying ethics until graduate school, which is where I came into contact with this book. For me, as a novice in ethics, I found Rachels' text enlightening. He neither dwells on theory too long nor dabbles too much in case studies. He provides enough to give you a foundational understanding of the big theories in ethics. Sure, there are probably holes in the material and you probably won't be able to dazzle others with your sudden powers of ethical thought, but it does get you to think about ethics in ways that are almost exciting. Compared to the other textbooks I had in my ethics class, this was a joy to read. The price, as others have said, is too high. But if you have to study it in class, you can't really get around that anyway.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book for College Undergraduates & Beginners by Small Town Lawyer "clarence", January 10, 2013
This review is from: The Elements of Moral Philosophy (Paperback)
This Rachels'(father and son) book has been around since 1986 when the first edition was published by Random House. Few textbooks last more than 25 years. Virtually all of the ones I am familiar with have an excellent quality that enables them to endure. Sometimes good books do not last; but seldom do bad books persist in the college textbook market. This book is well written and well-organized. Materials are developed in a logical and helpful manner. The case illustrations are germain and are clear. I have taught out of three different editions of this book at four universities over a span of 22 years; and consistently, the majority of students who studied this book in my classes found this textbook one of the best ones available. In my career, I worked in publishing; I was an editor at various journals; and I published and/or edited four different books. My students and I liked this one. It does an excellent job of explaining the development of moral philosophy to undergrads who are non-philosophy majors.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sampling, November 6, 2013
This review is from: The Elements of Moral Philosophy (Paperback)
Bought as textbook for a class. This is just a brief overview of the various topics within the subject, you won't find anything in depth here. It's a small book, about the size of a paperback chapter book for older elementary aged readers. Not too long, not too big, didn't weigh down my backpack. It suited it's purpose for my class, but it was not a book I held onto in case I would need it again. If you're looking for a good overview, this is the book. If you're looking to really dig into the subject, you could start here, but you'll need more books or resources to help out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Interesting Read, July 18, 2012
Steven Ray Davidson (Norwalk, Ia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Elements of Moral Philosophy (Paperback)
I got this book for my ethics class and loved it. It kept me reading and gave great arguments for all types of views and theories. Its the best book I've read in ethics that really gave a full and easy explanation of almost all theories, at least in western thought - to do with ethics. I really understand different ways of thinking, and am incredibly glad I read it, I would read it again and am purchasing other books by this author in the future.

2.0 out of 5 stars It serves a purpose, October 10, 2014
This review is from: The Elements of Moral Philosophy (Paperback)
This book is required for a class and its a tedious read that doesn't really highlight the main points for ethics. It tends to repeat itself to little avail. The book I ordered was in pretty bad condition with the spine and front cover very worn and stickers all over it. It serves a purpose for now and it would be better if it had illustrations like charts to drive points home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 15, 2014
Great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very very interesting. Rachel keeps you informed and intrigued ..., July 13, 2014
This review is from: The Elements of Moral Philosophy (Paperback)
Very very interesting . Rachel keeps you informed and intrigued all the time .

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, July 4, 2014
This review is from: The Elements of Moral Philosophy (Paperback)
Didn't use it that much for a class

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect condition. Arrived timely for my Summer class., June 16, 2014
This review is from: The Elements of Moral Philosophy (Paperback)
Used this book for a Summer Class. Worked perfectly. Rec'd on time and will be able to sell it back.

3.0 out of 5 stars Required for class, May 31, 2014
This review is from: The Elements of Moral Philosophy (Paperback)
This book was required for an ethics course that I took. I did not enjoy the companion book and this one was barely more tolerable. If it was not required I would not have gotten it and I was extremely disappointed with the cost especially considering that this book is very thin and small and does not have much content for the price tag. Wish I would have saved myself $60 and gotten an earlier edition.

The Elements of Moral Philosophy
The Elements of Moral Philosophy by James Rachels (Paperback - December 1, 2011)
$62.55