4.0 out of 5 stars Peace of mind with minor quibbles
****Update: Dec 2012****
Published on October 10, 2011 by C. Ball

3.0 out of 5 stars Buyer BE WARE....I Got a recertified piece!!!!
Nowhere in the description it was written that this is going to be a recertified piece!!!
Published 13 months ago by Ashtricks

4.0 out of 5 stars Peace of mind with minor quibbles, October 10, 2011
This review is from: WD Elements SE Portable 1 TB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive - WDBPCK0010BBK-NESN (Personal Computers)
****Update: Dec 2012****
As expected, I lost the original cable. Amazon sells one under its AmazonBasics label for around $8 or Radio Shack if you need it that day for around $12. Also the connection point on the unit itself started to get loose and wouldn't stay connected - prolly due to the aforementioned drops. The replacement cable actually fits better than the original. The drive itself still runs fine.

****Update: Sept 2012****
In the 18 months I've owned this, I've really unintentionally abused the heck out of it and it keeps on ticking. It's been dropped too many times to count, to the point where I had to practically put it back together. No problems. I don't recommend humming it to the floor, but under normal wear and tear it's been perfect.

****Original Review****
Having 1TB of portable memory is worth the investment just for the peace of mind it brings me. Two minor misses keep me from giving it 5 stars:

1. USB cable. When I purchased the unit, I assumed it would be either a USB-to-USB or USB-to-MiniUSB connection. It is neither. The cable is a "USB-to-Micro B". Just keep that in mind before buying, as this type of cable is less common than others. WD's website sells the cable (Part#: WDCA042RNN) for $14.99 plus $2.99 shipping. I'm sure there are after-markets out there for less. The cable itself feels substantial and well built, but the Micro B connection on the unit requires an uncomfortable amount of force to plug in and out and appears to be the only weak link. But I've been less than careful with it on several occasions and so far it's all good.(Purchased Jan 2011) Also keep in mind the cable is relatively short. (About 18 inches)

2. There is some lag time when you first access the drive to retrieve or upload data. It's by no means slow. Once it fires-up it does a good job and data transfer speeds are excellent. It just takes some getting used to if you're someone like me with no patience and expects instant access as if it were a solid state drive.

Overall, it's an excellent little drive. I would recommend it to anyone if they asked my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick. Compact. No complaints, May 19, 2012
I have to say, this drive has surpassed my expectations. It is well made, compact and doesnt come with any bloatware preinstalled on it trying to get me to use their backup solution or anything else.

The drive is just that. A drive. A quick drive with a lot of space.

First and foremost I was shocked at how small it was. It is the first portable hard drive I've owned, and I was pleased with the fact that it can fit in the small zip top pocket on my computer backpack that was designed to hold a mouse, and still have room for that mouse. On top of that, if I really needed to, I could stick it in my pocket. It really is that slim.

The build quality is top notch, the case doesnt creak or rattle, its smooth to the touch without being so slick that you'd drop it, and it has nice rubber feet to prevent rattling during drive access when it is sitting on your desk.

The drive itself is very quick, I managed to transfer a 2 gigabyte ISO file to it in under 20 seconds, the drive averaged around 80 MB/s (peaking at about 100MB/s) on a USB3 interface.

If I really *HAD* to nitpick, I'd say that the USB 3.0 cable is a little too rigid, but honestly it doesnt bother me and I like the size of it, despite being only about 1ft long, as it is a perfect size to travel with the drive no matter where I put it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Speed is not bad but not impressive, October 30, 2012
Paul S. (San Antonio, TX) - See all my reviews
I'm using the WD 1TB USB3 drive on a mid 2012 Macbook Air (11"). I have had no problem using it and obtaining high transfer speeds as other's have stated. I formatted it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and selected GUID as the partition scheme (under options... in disk utility).

The good:
I love the look of this drive. I didn't realize from the description that it comes with a USB 3 cable in the box - you should know the included cable is only about 15 inches but that's perfect for use with my laptop on my desk.
The price was very good but I try to avoid weighing the overall value of an item when reviewing it's merits as a device. So my opinion is based on my observation of the device for it's function not it's value.

The not so good:
My complaint is when copying a 5.09 GB file it is barely faster then my firewire 800 drive. Over firewire I can transfer at sustained transfer speeds of about 80 MB/s and bursts up to 84 MB/s. With this USB 3.0 drive it transfers at 84 MB/s sustained and bursts of 90 MB/s. Perhaps its a limitation associated with the 2.5" HDD but still I expected it to be closer to 100 MB/s. My basis for this expectation is what I get out of my old eSata drive on my four year old home built desktop with a 2.5" drive in a Rosewill enclosure from the same era.

I took a star for not being faster. With that said I'm happy with it and plan to keep it.

11/2/2012 Update:
I noticed something beneficial with this drive versus my old 3.5" external drive solution. Spin up time. I use the drive for my aperture library and it's spin up time is not even noticeable in everyday use as opposed to my old WD 7,200 RPM drive which took several seconds to spin up which was enough to be annoying at times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent drive for use with Time Machine (OS X), January 11, 2013
I use this 500 GB drive as a Time Machine with my 2012 Macbook Pro (the 15" with Retina display, simply for reference). I have been very happy with every aspect of its functioning: it is quiet, it runs cool, and the transfer speeds are quite fast (I rarely notice that the 'Time Machine clock' is spinning).

As it comes, you need to reformat it for use with a Macintosh computer, but with Disk Utility, this is not a problem, and the drive responds well to being reformatted. I set the drive up with two partitions, one for a drag and drop compatible with Windows, and one for Time Machine. Since the unit is very light, and yet feels safe and sturdy, I've been able to carry it around on occasion with no problems. Of course, it is a portable drive, so this is to be expected!

When I first set the drive up as a Time Machine, it needed to transfer approximately 42 GB of data, which took about 25 minutes. This corresponds to a relatively slow transfer rate (on the order of 25 MB/s or so), but as I've not noticed subsequent incremental backups, I'm very happy with the speeds under my usage conditions. In a test transfer of a 840 MB file to the drag and drop half of the drive, it took 29 seconds, or 29 MB/s, *while the computer was also continuously accessing the drive*, and this is acceptable for my usage patterns.

The cable is sturdy, though a little on the rigid side and the connectors at the end of the cable are both long (an inch or more), which shortens the nominally bendable range of the cable by a couple inches total. I don't have a ton of room on my desk, and so I'm glad that the cable loops easily. The hard drive enclosure is matte on top and glossy on the sides and while buying a HD in part for its 'stylishness' seems silly, I can't say I'm displeased with the way it looks next to my Mac! Being such a small enclosure, the drive is unobtrusive and convenient for smaller workspaces.

All in all, this is a wonderful drive for use as a Time Machine (and for random storage). It works well with a Mac (during and after reformatting), is compact, light, quiet, cool, and fast. I happily recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great drive, October 18, 2011
Great drive for its price point. However, two days after receiving the drive, the drive went down $30.00 in price. I tried to get the refund for the full $30 but Amazon only gave back $20. A little disappointed in that sense but the drive itself is great. It looks so big in the pictures and I could not find a review where it showed the drive itself next to something like say a dollar. But the drive is very compact. It's a little taller than most 2.5" hard drives but the length and width is the same as most if not all 2.5" external hard drives.

I have yet to test it with USB 3.0 so I'm only writing this review based on using it with my 2009 MacBook and USB 2.0.

I have backed up a bunch of stuff to it, no problems so far. I notice with regular 2.5" hard drives, they get extremely hot. It looks like this drive spins down when not in use to keep it from heating up and for it to conserve power.

I will be buying more of these for use around our lab and also for recommendations to our clients.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic backup device, March 9, 2012
Spike Spiegel (Ipanema, San Francisco) - See all my reviews
this is my second unit since 2009.
the first unit works perfect even i accidentally dropped it on hard floor and broke the piece apart.
i easily put the pieces back into the plastic encasing with minimal effort, did a chkdsk and the unit runs perfect again.
this unit runs both USB 2 AND 3 seamlessly. i connected to my USB 2 PC and other USB 2 devices and they work seamlessly.
my only complain is the increase in pricing since 2009. it used to cost about $80 and now over $100.
blame it on the depreciating US dollar.

3.0 out of 5 stars Buyer BE WARE....I Got a recertified piece!!!!, August 8, 2013
I opened the box and saw a few scratches near the USB port. Saw a few 'oil smudges' on the case. The receipt came with a sticker.... "Warranty void if removed". I matched the numbers, were the same. BUT... The HDD was "Recertified in Malaysia" I am disappointed with the seller....
I haven't checked whether it is working yet, that's why the two stars. Will update after customer service call.
Update: After customer service call.
Returning it. Never wanted a recertified piece.
Kudos to the seller. Good customer service.
Amazon has a problem. The condition of the item is not mentioned on the main page. Amazon should really make an effort to put sellers comments on the first page. If they can put up their name on the first page, they should be able to put the seller comments on there too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pros and Cons of the WD 500 GB, March 12, 2013
This is a great little external HD and worked well immediately. Easy to hook up and easy to use. ( A bit slow sometimes but then we are all getting used to lightning speeds and even waiting milliseconds can seem slow sometimes.) I like this HD and if there are cons it might be that the connecting cord (HD to USB) is a tad short and the thin flat connector to the HD makes me extra careful so I don't injure it and cause myself problems. But the plus is much greater than any minus for this HD so far (Had it about a month or so). Would recommend it. I also have a 500 GB Omega HD (couldn't find another on the net anywhere) and I like it as well. (Perhaps a bit more, but then I've known it longer....2 years.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good external hard drive, June 25, 2013
Frederick R. Ludwick (Las Vegas, NV United States) - See all my reviews
Very good external hard drive; I like having the large space to store. Be careful connecting 2 or more external hard drives: my computer crashes with 2 or more connected.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine product, good price, May 8, 2013
This portable USB drive is perfect for what I bought it for, archiving data off of my hard drive. Even when using it with a USB 2.0 PC port, it has very good transfer speed. Having only purchased it a few weeks ago, I cannot vouche for its long term reliability at this time. The only negative comment I have is that it does not have the 'standard' size USB connection. The smaller plug & receptical seem less mechanically robust than the standard USB plug. I could see this being the likely source of a failure of the device if cycled too many times.

Rate and Discover Movies