5.0 out of 5 stars Great characters and fun to start this series
Published on March 11, 2012 by Wist

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Start!
Title: Elements: The Beginning
Author: Kate Fuentes

Publisher: Dreampath Books
Number of Pages: 240
Date of Release: April, 18th 2011
Summary From Goodreads:

Destiny brought them into this world to save mankind and malevolent forces will stop at nothing in order to annihilate them.
Born with extraordinary powers, fraternal...
Published on July 12, 2012 by Moonlight Book Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Team Gage or Team Talon --- Read and Decide, August 10, 2012
Twin boys with amazing abilities, a mom with strength and courage who can't be there for now, and a dedicated father doing the best he can. Elements: The Beginning takes the reader on a journey of prophecy and legend.

Gable knew the love of his life, Jacquelyn, had special powers, but he had no idea just how powerful his twin sons, Gage and Talon, would be. And he certainly couldn't guess their destiny as the saving grace for mankind. A powerful mentor, Uncle Maui, enters the boys' lives, and Gable supports their new training.

The boys only begin to come into their powers when an evil force, Maradati, finds them. Realizing the boys' power, he sets out to kill them before they can destroy him. The book ends on a tantalizing cliffhanger, one bound to make readers grab Book Two right away.

Both boys, although very different, are enchanting. Gage can control water and is a mind reader/manipulator while Talon can shape shift into animals and control fire as well as reading minds. I was rooting for both boys, although I'm probably Team Gage if I had to pick. I think readers from 10(ish) up will enjoy the brothers' story. It's a quick, fun read and definitely one that will leave you wanting to know more about Gage and Talon.

If you enjoy fantasy elements and interesting characters, you'll enjoy this fast-paced ride. Just be prepared for an abrupt ending.

Note: I received a complimentary copy for review purposes. A positive review was not requested or guaranteed; the opinions expressed are my own.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Start!, July 12, 2012
Title: Elements: The Beginning
Author: Kate Fuentes

Publisher: Dreampath Books
Number of Pages: 240
Date of Release: April, 18th 2011
Summary From Goodreads:

Born with extraordinary powers, fraternal twins Gage and Talon Thorn learn how to control their mystical abilities. Tragedy strikes the family and their ordinary father Gable is forced to raise them on his own. Pain and loss encompass the Thorns as they persevere to live a normal life in a place determined to destroy their happiness.
Soon their incredible gifts need proper nurturing and Gable recruits a special group of people to help in their upbringing. A sassy, tenacious nanny named Leia and an eccentric unorthodox warrior named Maui complete the dream team of mentors to aid in the complexity of their lives.
Evil, wicked forces lurk in the shadows and the boys are in danger if they don't learn how to control their unique talents and harness their elemental powers. Humanity rests in the hands of the young brothers as they embark on an epic adventure to save mankind from the dark emperor.

Review: It's easy to get lost in the world building involved in fantasy novels. I am pleased to say though that I never, not once, was confused or board with the setting Kate Fuentes has created.

The only kind of issue I had with the novel was the prologue. Which I loved, but the birth scene wasn't totally accurate. I mean there was no cutting of umbilical cords mentioned. I don't know why it bothers me, it seems really picky.

Gage and Talon were born with incredible powers. They are raised in their fathers ever present heart ache over their mothers loss. It was interesting reading their story and then trying to figure out before them which choices they would make. Their ever present sense of love, loss and hope was something I loved reading about.

While at times, the action was tense and fast. There were other times where it slowed down and it kept the novel from becoming too predictable. Kate Fuentes, from the very beginning was able to write into her words a sense of love and warmth, and I haven't read anything like it before. Truly original, definitely a novel and author to keep your eye on!

4.0 out of 5 stars Becky @ Book Bite Reviews, July 5, 2012
Elements was a very different story for me. It was unlike anything I have ever read. It was a little hard for me to get into, because it is a fantasy (which I don't usually read) and the main characters who were twins were only 12. I did enjoy the story, though, because it has a really great creepy concept to it where dark forces can take over your body and steal your soul, and I did enjoy how well the character development was. I will be reading the next installment in this series for sure.

Rating: 3.5/4

5.0 out of 5 stars Great characters and fun to start this series, March 11, 2012
If you ever thought babysitting was fun, the two boys in here will give you a quick change of mind. With the powers of telekinesis, shape-shifting, fire and water, turning your back on them might not be such a good idea. They grow up quick enough, and Gage and Talon have to learn how to use their powers to save the ones they care about, without being exposed as freaks to society.

Which would be easier if they hadn't taken an 8 year-old's approach on how to deal with a bad guy--but I won't spoil just what they do there. Time's up, playtime is over and now you're wanted dead by the underworld. And that's just the start of the challenges they face now as teenagers.

I've only seen the first Percy Jackson movie (Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief), but the emotional backdrop to this story had a similar feel which I enjoyed a great deal. Overall great characters, laughs and fun makes this a series I will be following.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Pick!, February 4, 2012
Elements (The Beginning) was a thrilling read, that incorporated many twist and turns! Things are not always as they look is an old adage, which shows itself to be true in this wonderful book. Ms. Fuentes, creates an edge of your seat adventure! From the extraordinary events that surround Gage and Talon's birth; to the description of the ancient evil. Plus, I literally let out a surprised, gasp!...at a certain part (do not wish to spoil it for you:), when Ms. Fuentes tossed in a surprising twist in the story. There hasn't been many stories, that have actually surprised me; You know where there is supposed to be an...oh wow moment...and it actually turns into a...what now?...

Not here in Elements, my mouth actually dropped open with...you're kidding me right?!:)(Keep your eye on the birdies in the story:)

When that happens, now...that's a good story:)

I recommend Elements(The Beginning) by Kate Fuentes, a Top Pick!:) Check out Ms. Fuentes second installment in the Element series!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very unique story!, January 2, 2012
Elements is the story of fraternal twin brothers, Gage and Talon Thorn, who each possess some seriously extraordinary powers, some of which include: controlling the elements, shape shifting and mind control. I felt what made this story unique is that, unlike most of the books I've read, where the reader is introduced early on to the gorgeous, swoon-worthy male lead who is fully adept at whatever talents he holds, Kate Fuentes begins her story with the twins being born. I know, I know..... it's in the title - "The Beginning," but I didn't know she literally meant the beginning. I loved watching these two boys grow up. Kate takes us from right before their birth to into their teens. Not only do we see them mature, but we get to watch them grow into their powers. We see them through the eyes of their family and those who love them. My favorite parts, though, are the interactions between the boys themselves:

"Gage stood back and shook his head. `Impressive! Your skills in the art of problem-solving are positively medieval, but clearly, the results are a success. You managed to destroy a timeless piece of history in one fell swoop.'

`Thank you. Your envy of my superiority is making me blush,' retorted Talon."

I enjoyed that the majority of the book's setting is in New Zealand. I was so impressed with Kate's descriptive details of the picturesque countryside, that I truly feel as if I have been there myself. What a picture she paints! All of the characters are quite interesting, with my favorites being: Maui, Gable, Jacquelyn, and Lucian. Then there is the underworld and its evil ruler, Maradati, whose main goal threatens the existence of the boys and their world.

The ending was quite a cliffhanger, and I look forward to finding out what will happen to Gage, Talon, and their loved ones in book 2 of the Elements series, Veil of Darkness.

Review originally posted at: [...]

4.0 out of 5 stars A unique and wonderful fantasy world to explore, October 16, 2011
Elements: The Beginning presents a very refreshing and different fantasy world for readers to enjoy. I was intrigued by the book description and trailer, so decided to check it out. I'm glad I did!

The story follows the birth and development of twin brothers Gage and Talon Thorn. The brothers possess elementally-based powers, a result of their maternal family line. They balance each other in essential ways, something that becomes more apparent as the story progresses.

Their training takes place in New Zealand under the watchful eye of Maori relatives. It was the introduction of the Maori people that really captured my attention. The mythology touched on in the book was new to me and quite fascinating. Fuentes does a great job of creating her fantasy world while making the reader feel as though they are in a New Zealand wonderland.

Adding intrigue is the introduction of a different world (the underworld) ruled by a dark and evil being named Maradati. His goal is to conquer/destroy the twins and the world they live in, but he requires a human vessel in order to do so. In the course of visiting with the characters in this other world, the author throws a curve ball that caught me delightfully off-guard.

My rating is reduced (3.5 rounded up to 4) due to editing issues. I understand that the author is aware of existing issues and taking steps to remedy those as the second book nears publication. That said, I'm definitely looking forward to the release of the second book in the series!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great novel!, August 5, 2011
Fuentes has created an epic tale of adventure in her debut novel, Elements: The Beginning. Born to a "gifted" mother and human father, Gage and Talon must learn to tailor their powers as an age old war between humanity and the underworld begins to threaten their very existence. I found this novel very interesting and really enjoyed the many different characters Fuentes brings to the novel. Watching Gage and Talon grow throughout the story was exceptionally interesting, especially as most novels gloss over these developmental stages, yet Fuentes follows the young boys from childhood all the way to their teens as they find new abilities and learn to overcome new challenges. I really enjoyed this first book in the series and am interested to know what happens next for the Thorn twins, especially as this novel concludes in medias res. Three stars (means I liked it based on my blogs stars).

3.0 out of 5 stars Review of 'Elements - The Beginning', July 15, 2011
This is the first installment of the Elements series and the first book for author Kate Fuentes. It follows a family's journey through loss and heartache, and how they can ultimately overcome it with love.

I think this would be a good introduction to fantasy for young readers. It has light-hearted and fantastical elements without glossing over the hardships we all face sometimes. The classic 'good versus evil' theme is plainly seen throughout the book. It could easily be read together as a family and it presents opportunities to talk about some of those 'what would you do' or 'how would you react' situations.

At the end of the book, the reader is left guessing what will happen in the next one. I look forward to seeing how Kate's characters evolve as this series progresses.

Elements: The Beginning
Elements: The Beginning by Kate Fuentes (Hardcover - April 18, 2011)
$25.95 $23.36