50%
Elements Of The Differential And Integral Calculus
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$34.45+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on May 12, 2012
This book is amazing. I own the spanish edition (a very good translation I have to say)
I didn't buy it at amazon, i just found an old edition on my father's bookshelf, he used it in the year 1963. Now I understand why he became such a good engineer, he has dozens of books of his times and most are astonishing good in quality. I took this book in particular to study these topics for my own career (engineering too) and I have to say, despite being very old, it can compete against any modern book. It has crystal clear explanations, is very consistent and goes gently deeply into each topic, without wasting a single minute of your time. There are several exercises and problems. You can go through each chapter without sweating and finish each chapter with nothing loose nor doubts about what you just read, and you don't need to be a pro on this to understand it. and this is astonishing to me because when you think on old books, you think on boredom and difficulty levels very high. But no, they are not. Of course its not a book meant to be funny in any way, but its easy to read and not boring at all.

There are several very good books on Integration and differentiation, many very modern of course. This one in particular rocks hard. And it feels like the real deal. Written by William Anthony Granville, by reading this book, I can assume he was a great mathematician and a great teacher, but no, he was into phylosophy and law, anyway, he clearly was a mastermind on this. It was revised by Percey F. Smith and William R. Longley, both math teachers and also into phylosophy. The translation to spanish was made by 3 more guys. Ha! Good old stuff...! Quality, that's the word that defines each corner of this book.

"Elements of the Differential and Integral Calculus". It does sound like it comes with just "elements". But its more than that. Take a look at the index, and see if it got the topics you need. I recommend this book to anyone wanting to learn these topics, and master them. Also for the price, its a bargain.

I'm going to pick this edition soon :)
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on July 3, 2014
Do NOT waste your time on the Kindle version!! The book is unusable due to extremely poor transcription from the print version. There are typos and hieroglyphs in all the math formulas. The OCR software that Amazon uses is not up to the task of dealing with math symbols, and it's a real shame they put this book up for sale this way....it shows that no human ever set eyes on this book after it was scanned into an electronic format. I realize they have a LOT (millions?) of electronic books, but if someone at the company spent a whole ten seconds to check out this Kindle version, they probably would never have released it. I am disappointed in Amazon, and hope this review makes it way to their management. By the way, I checked out other math books they sell electronically, and there are poor reviews on some of them as well due to this same problem. A few typos in a 'normal' electronic book is no big deal, but math books are bought for their formulas, and their symbols mean something! Get it together Amazon!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again