'Elevate is a real beauty of an album, exquisitely crafted...delicious, captivating listening.' Songlines
Brian O hEadhra acoustic guitar, bouzouki, vibrato guitar, bodhran
Calum Malcolm bass, electric piano, Hammond organ, piano, accordion, string arrangements, programming
Mairi Campbell strings
Stuart McCredie electric guitar
Quee McArthur bass
Dave Stewart drums
Matt Backer guitars
Julien Argüelles saxophone
Cameron Malcolm - harmonic guitar
Named in The Observer newspaper as one of the 'Best albums of 2008', 'Elevate'
is the captivating debut solo album from singer / songwriter Fiona Mackenzie
. Now released on 180g vinyl, mastered by veteran mastering engineer Willem Makkee and pressed at Pallas in Germany, 'Elevate' features a beautifully designed 4-page booklet and is presented in a gatefold sleeve.
- Nominated for a 2008 Scottish Trad Music Award
for Album of the Year 'Elevate' showcases Fiona's emotive self-penned lyrics which display honesty and raw emotion, delivered with her crystalline voice and distinctive sound.
- A favourite with the critics, Audiophile Audition placed 'Elevate' in the top 5 albums for 2008
, Mike Wilson at folking.com named 'Elevate' his favourite album of 2008, whilst award-winning singer Karine Polwart described it as 'a gorgeous, delicate album'
and awarded it five stars.
- Co-produced by The Blue Nile
producer Calum Malcolm, this is a fresh and modern release combining Fiona's Gaelic roots with contemporary production values.
- Fiona Mackenzie has just completed a tour (June/July 2010) where she performed Elevate live across Scotland.
- Her style has been described as 'pure and beautifully plaintive' and is strongly influenced by traditional Scottish singing, Hungarian folk music and contemporary artists like Kate Bush, Tracey Chapman, Nick Cave and Emmylou Harris.
- Often described as a singer's singer, Fiona has been much in demand performing live on BBC Radio Scotland and appearing regularly at Celtic Connections.
'Elevate' delivers a sound that is both unique and captivating. Fiona Mackenzie has created an album of musically fresh and instantly likeable songs.