4.0 out of 5 stars Great serial killer read
Published on September 11, 2012 by Robert P. French

1.0 out of 5 stars Wasted Hours
One star just because the author obviously worked hard.
Why someone would create a main character that is such a total wuss is beyond me. And then make that character an FBI agent?
Published 2 months ago by Jerry W

4.0 out of 5 stars Great serial killer read, September 11, 2012
This review is from: Eleven (Brandon Fisher FBI Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I do not read a lot of serial killer books because I guess I've read so many and watched so many Criminal Minds episodes that I just got tired with the whole serial killer thing. However, Eleven caught my eye so I downloaded the sample chapters and was hooked. The premise is good and a little different. The characters are well developed and it kept me turning the pages. Well worth the read. It reminded me how much better a book is than a movie or TV episode.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome new series!!, November 18, 2012
This review is from: Eleven (Brandon Fisher FBI Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I love suspense novels and even more than that I love ones involving FBI agents. I don't really know why, but it is what it is. When I first discovered this book I was a little more than excited to read it and I am happy to say that now that I have finished it I am even more excited!

My first reaction to this suspense filled book is that it was like reading an episode of Criminal Minds, and if you have seen that show then you already know how awesome this book is going to be. From the moment I picked up the book I was thrown into the story and it never let me go. As the story unraveled and clues unfolded I felt like I was participating in the hunt as much as the agents in the story. And let me tell you, never did I see that ending coming. It snuck up on me like a birthday you no longer wish to have. But it was one hell of a twist to an already exiting story.

Not only did I love this story I loved its characters, all of them. You see, I find that a lot of suspense books now days often make the lead character this perfect cop or agent who is rugged and tough, never backs down from a fight, always get's their man and almost seems untouchable. But the lead character in this book is far from any of those things. He is a new agent, he doesn't always know what to do, he has made mistakes in his past, he allows his emotions to rule him, and he seems to seek approval from his fellow agents as to whether or not he is a good agent.

And what makes this character even better is the fact that he is surrounded by other characters you can't help but love. Such as Paige the strong willed agent who shares a personal history with Brandon and can more than handle herself in a world of evil. Zachery the smart agent who has a photographic memory and a bit of a sarcastic attitude. And Jack the supervisory agent who is rugged, tough, holds little to hope and has seen more than his fair share of bad crap. I can't wait to read what's next for this amazing team of agents!

So if you love, suspense and the thrill of the chase then you have to check out Eleven because it does not disappoint!

4.0 out of 5 stars A fast paced plot for those who like serial killer stories, December 14, 2011
This review is from: Eleven (Brandon Fisher FBI Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I was very intrigued by the premise of this book based on its description. I think the author paced the story very well to keep you reading to find out what would happen next.

We join Special Agent Brandon Fisher on his first case working in the FBI's Behavioral Analysis Unit. Ten bodies are discovered in a hidden bunker that we find out parallels an old cold case and this sets in motion a series of events that eventually bring things a bit too close to home for Brandon.

He has to deal with a lot of different stressors throughout the book: the potential suspect, his new boss, his not-so-understanding wife, and an old flame. So there's a lot going on in the midst of the investigation.

The majority of the story is told from Brandon's POV in the first person, so for me it was a bit distracting when the story jumped to a third person POV with a few of the supporting characters. That felt disjointed, especially as I feel like Brandon's POV was strong enough to be able to carry the whole story.

If you like serial killer stories, then you will likely enjoy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even CSI and FBI will feel queasy with this case, December 6, 2011
This review is from: Eleven (Brandon Fisher FBI Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
When I read TIES THAT BIND by Carolyn Arnold a few months ago, I was very impressed with many aspects of the book. Now I've read her latest mystery, ELEVEN, and I have to say she has outdone herself. This is one tremendous book.

ELEVEN is an FBI procedural novel about a serial killer. The man's crimes are so gruesome, even the CSI and FBI professionals are feeling queasy. What is fascinating about ELEVEN from a structural viewpoint is that the killer is already in prison and his identity is already known to the investigators, or at least strongly suspected right from the beginning. Don't worry, I'm not giving anything away, here. Their challenge is not to find out who the killer is, but to gather evidence strong enough to stand up in court, and to discover his motive. And to prevent any more killings, by the way, too.

But the fuel that really keeps this book burning is the quirky and gritty twists and turns in the relationships within the FBI team. Brandon Fisher is the young new FBI recruit who narrates the story. He is an extraordinarily complex and interesting character, struggling to fit in to this team and struggling to prove himself as an investigator. His mentoring agent, Jack Harper, won't relent in his needling and hard treatment of Fisher. The dynamic between the young hopeful agent paired with the cynical chain-smoking veteran seems a tad too familiar at first. But when Brandon's involvement with the serial killer evolves into something more personal, the dynamic between the agents takes on a new dimension of danger and suspense.

The author brings extremely convincing details on how the FBI works to crack cases like this: from the triangulation of cell phone calls to lifting of DNA or even mtDNA from skeletal remains, to the agents' skilled interpretations of body language, facial tics, eye movements and so on. Not surprisingly, they cannot shut off these skills when observing each other in the team, which causes problems. The FBI agents ultimately are human beings like any other, despite their tough exterior.

The story is set in today's world of social media, with Twitter playing an important part in the plot, yet the crimes reach back in time to the 1970s, and church teachings are equally important. This juxtaposition of modern technology and old-fashioned church beliefs makes the book come alive and seem rooted in the real world.

Silence of the Lambs, move over. ELEVEN is an absolutely stunning performance.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wasted Hours, November 14, 2014
This review is from: Eleven (Brandon Fisher FBI Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
One star just because the author obviously worked hard.
This guy stresses about his boss smoking, whines because nobody respects him, says he loves his wife but still has an affair, worries about how people see him for having that affair, totally insults his girlfriend/partner, and (this made me chuckle) uses Canadian phrases like "these ones" and "those ones". Oh, almost forgot, he likes to admire himself in the mirror.
By the way, people in Kentucky don't talk that way, Ms. Arnold. If you must mock a particular location, at least have the integrity to do some research and get it right.
The story could have been very interesting, but way before the end of the book I was hoping Brandon would get his tail kicked and then be fired.

4.0 out of 5 stars Eleven (Brandon Fisher FBI Series), November 18, 2012
Linda Cioe (Greenville, TX, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eleven (Brandon Fisher FBI Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Fast read with good plot. Strong characterization. Fast read with good plot. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes mysteries.

2.0 out of 5 stars What did I expect for a dollar?, July 27, 2013
Lisa Baker (South Carolina) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Eleven (Brandon Fisher FBI Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This book was not terrible, just not terribly good. Very predictable plot, very narrow and flat characters. I started and got about 1/3 of the way through and the writing was so simplistic that I almost quit right there. Instead, I jumped to 80% (on kindle) and I picked up right where I left off. I skipped almost 1/2 of the book and nothing happened that I couldnt figure it out in a page or two.
Not my cup of tea, but for the price you may want to pick it up if you have nothing else to read.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 Stars, November 14, 2012
3.5 stars.

Brandon Fisher is on his probationary period with the FBI and his first case is one for the record books. This is a rather dark story (Hannibal Lecter worthy serial killer and a very imperfect main character). Early in the investigation, this case gets personal for Special Agent Fisher. We as readers get a first person view into the FBI procedures as well as the mind of our special agent. The plot and pacing were spot on, and nothing is given away too early.

Here is where my review takes on a personal tone. The story is told in both first person (with Brandon) and third person (with several other characters). I had a hard time adjusting to this however, not so much that I quit reading. (Yes kids, the plot was that engaging). I also had some issues with Brandon as a person, but my issues with him were also something necessary to the plot of the story and made for a very good progression device.

You really do get to know the main cast of characters, and they are fleshed out very well. About a third of the way through this book I really appreciated the different narratives (the switching between first and third person), and could see how it really helped to tell the story in the best way possible.

Overall this is a book I really enjoyed and I will be reading the next in the Brandon Fisher FBI Series: Silent Graves (late 2013).

1.0 out of 5 stars Slow moving plot; Grammatical errors!, November 29, 2014
This review is from: Eleven (Brandon Fisher FBI Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
After seeing "Jack and I" as the object in a sentence (several times), and reading that "Rain hit the windshield as if a heavenly 'damn' released," I released the book, having plodded through to page 56. Enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read!, January 3, 2012
This review is from: Eleven (Paperback)
I just finished reading "Eleven" last night. It took me a few pages to get into it, but once I got past the first couple of pages, Carolyn, hooked me. I really loved how she created Jack's character and personality. He was my favorite and I am hoping she will do a series of this story line using these characters. Read it, you won't be disappointed!