Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

TOP 500 REVIEWERon May 8, 2012
One of the handiest new gadgets to find its way into Grandma's Kitchen recently is this set of Progressive International Magnetic Measuring Spoons. Marked in both US Standard and metrics, they make it easy - or at least easier - to deal with recipes from a book like Elevenses from Around the World, where all of the measurements are given in Metrics.

Elevenses from Around the World contains eleven recipes, all centered on the page (including the directions), making them very hard to follow in the kitchen. There is no Table of Contents of any sort. The author, Bruno McGrath, writes that he has "been a professional chef for more than ten years and is well known for his diversified palate", so Grandma was absolutely dumbfounded to see that one recipe actually called for "1 tin mushroom soup."

Even more disturbing, however, is that apparently "chef" Bruno does not know how to cook in metrics. If one was to follow his measurements as written, one would need to haul out the metric scale for things like a dab of mustard, a couple of pinches of nutmeg and a tablespoon or so of chopped parsley. No chef in his right mind would actually weigh out 1.5 grams of cinnamon! Metric measuring spoons exist for such things everywhere in the world that metrics are used. You will notice they are marked in ml, not grams.

Grandma recommends that you leave this one behind and put the pennies you'll save towards a set of those nifty measuring spoons instead.

Two thumbs down!
review image review image review image
on May 8, 2012
Breakfast and brunch have always been my favorite meal of the day, so I was thrilled to discover this book. The recipes can be used for a variety of meals. Each one is explained well and easy to follow. The author obviously knew what they were talking about.

I really enjoyed how some of the recipes took traditional recipes and added a little twist. Everything tasted fantastic, and my family loved it.

Highly recommended!
on May 9, 2012
Looking for something to serve the next time you host brunch? I highly recommend this recipe book. There are a variety of recipes from around the world that will make all of your guests ask, "Where did you get this recipe?" If you're like me, it's easy to get bored with the same fare. I love trying new things and this book has been a revelation. I'm also a teacher so it's been handy for our cultural diversity lessons. The chef/author takes you through wide-ranging recipes from around the world. The instructions are easy to follow and the results are true to what you'd expect. My friends give an A+ to the Brazilian salad and my children adore the French muffins (when you see the topping, you'll understand why - what's not to love?!). At such a good price, this recipe book is well worth picking up or clicking up.
on May 8, 2012
Bruno McGrath has put together a collection of wonderfully tasting dishes! I very much enjoyed the beef kebab. You can tell the recipes in the book have been written by a professional chef with lots of experience. The writing and instructions were easy to follow and interesting to make.

I have found it difficult to find good original recipes, so I very much enjoyed this cook book. I absolutely loved that I got to discover ingredients that I had never even heard of before. There were some recipes that are well known, but there were also a good number that I had never tried before.

I would recommend this cook book to anyone who enjoys making (and eating) delicious food!
on May 7, 2012
As I have always been interested in dishes from around the world, this short cookbook caught my attention. Not sure what to expect, I took the gamble bought the book. Interestingly, I came across a recipe with ingredients i had never seen before: From Bolivia, Api Morado, or purple corn.

Unfortunately, I could not find purple corn in the store, but I substituted with regular yellow corn to make this very tasting dish. I had never dared to combine corn, cinnamon and gloves into one dish, but it tastes fantastic.

The beef kebab look nice, too, maybe I'll whip those up coming weekend, as i seem to have most ingredients in stock (I'll substitute fresh lemon grass with some minced from a jar).

A nice collection of well known and less well known recipes, If you are looking to get some great ideas while on a coffee break. this could be one of those recipe books you should take a look at.
on May 10, 2012
I got this book while it was on free promo, expecting it to have some interesting pictures of food or at least fun descriptions of its "around the world" dishes, where they're from, and what makes them special. It has none of that; just 11 recipes set down with no further commentary.

It gets two stars rather than one because the recipes might be good ones - I wouldn't know, though, since I don't cook.