Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Elgato EyeTV Hybrid TV Tuner for Mac or PC (10021020)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on December 9, 2012
I will rate this item first for the Eye TV software and then for the Hybrid device.

The Software is very good and works intuitively. It takes about ten seconds to figure any one process out. For those who never want to miss a specific program (for example I like The Big Bang Theory) it records and stores TV programs, once set up, without hassle. It will convert recorded programs to formats that one would need for their paritcular set-up (iPad for instance) and will record live programs allowing the viewer to skip back, to catch that particular phrase, or forward, through the commercial you have already seen twenty times. The software gets four out of five stars.

The Hybrid device is a bit of a disappointment. It does convert digital or analog signals and send them to a computer as described but, it does not do a good job with HD signals. HD signals are often pixilated and recorded so that the prgram skips continually. It does not do this all the time, but when it does, the program is not watchable. I give the device two out of five stars.
on December 11, 2012
I've used Elgato's products on my Macs for many years and watched their software go through some ups and downs. For some years now it's been stable and reliable for me, and the hardware tuners have always worked well. My old EyeTV 500 tuner did finally get flakey, and I bought this Hybrid to replace it. It has been working perfectly for recording digital broadcasts from my roof antenna. I haven't had occasion to use it for analog recording, but I like the way the coax and analog audio/video connectors are interchangeable on the little USB stick.
on April 16, 2013
They say in online reviews that this is the best on the market for Macs. It is totally disappointing to me.

I have a fast Mac with lots of ram and a 1TB fast HDD. My system OS is up to date is very well groomed for speed and power. I have an excellent cable signal. The picture quality this product give you is really poor. The software requires several restarts to give you a live TV screen. Setup is slow and confusing. Software is confusing. Scanning for channels is really really slow. You could go out to dinner before the thing is done scanning. I am NOT exaggerating.
When running, all other processes on the computer bog down to slow speed and erratic response.

So, given all that, I contacted tech support. What a run around. They had me adjust this and adjust that and send them screenshots until I was blue in the face. Then, all of a sudden, after 4 days of troubleshooting with their tech support with no solution in sight, they just stopped and have not contacted me since. My emails are now returned undeliverable and my phone messages are not returned. I have all of this completely documented. All the emails ; even the phone calls. (I used Google Voice and recorded them) Several times, in writing, I requested to return the product for refund and they did not answer me.

I read a bunch of reviews on this product before I bought it. It really is touted as the best in 2012 and 2013. So much for the reviews we want to trust.

I threw it in the trash. Lesson learned. Really bad product. Really bad supporting software. Really bad tech support. Really bad Company.
on June 7, 2014
It's not quite all it could be in intuitive ease of use if you compare it to, for instance, the type of experience Apple tries to generate when it brings a product to market. That said, it is better than most of what is out there, especially if you are trying to avoid the monthly fees that TiVo and everyone else wants to slap on you. Good functionality, quality recording, dependable. The little gizmo gets surprisingly warm, but has not caused any trouble as a result. I particularly like that I can record on a Mac downstairs and watch on a Mac upstairs over the WiFi network (one that is unconnected to cable service). However, setting that up required moving the tuner up to the second computer temporarily, which is a bit of a pain. (Why is that necessary? I think the software could be designed to avoid this hassle.) All in all I am pleased with the product.
on October 17, 2010
This was great for a couple of weeks. Did exactly what I needed it too. Then it just started working intermittently. Even though cable was working fine, the signal wasn't making it to my computer. My best guess is that it was a loose connection as wiggling it around sometimes made the signal come back. Good idea, but definitely poorly made. Don't waste your money.
on April 27, 2011
As many others have already addressed, this device will stop working within two months of use due to it's cheap design. The software will fail to recognize the device and you are left with a useless piece of plastic.

I contacted Elgato and went through their warranty department, only to be told that mine wouldn't be covered because I did not buy my product from an "authorized" reseller. Even though I purchased my product new in box (still sealed), they said they can't "guarantee the quality of the product" otherwise. Excuse me? Did you catch the fact that it was NEW IN BOX? Elgato is the company responsible for packing these devices, so if the quality wasn't there to begin with, it's nobody else's fault but Elgato's.

Most companies don't care where you purchased their products, they still stand behind them, but apparently Elgato sees it differently.

Do yourself a favor and instead of buying this piece of crap, do what I did and get yourself a Monsoon Vulkano Flow (also sold on Amazon). It's much cheaper, works MUCH better with higher resolutions, offers you access to all of your channels AND recorded DVR content either locally or from anywhere in the world where you have a network connection, and most importantly they stand behind their products! Pretty soon Elgato will be out of business thanks to the Vulkano, and in my opinion, that can't happen soon enough.
on April 4, 2013
This product does seem to operate at a rather high temperature. It is very, very warm to the touch. Almost hot!!

Many cable companies have rebuilt their cable systems to 870 MHz (EIA Channel 135). The newest cable systems are more than likely constructed to 1000 MHz (EIA Channel 158). This product only scans for Clear QAM services to EIA Channel 125. If your cable operator has Clear QAM channels above EIA 125 you will not be to pick them up with this product. The product description does state this but I did miss it when I ordered it. 1000 MHz cable systems have been built since roughly the year 2005 so this product does seem a little out of date.

The cable company that I work for has Clear QAM channels in the EIA 126 to 130 range so I can not pick them up.

Other than that, this product does seem to work very well on my MacBook Pro and everything else works great! I did email the support group at Elgato about this channel limitation so I will see what happens.

I gave it (3) stars because of this video limitation and the fact that the product does operate at a high temperature. Once again, the description does state the Clear QAM tuner range, which I missed, but this does seem outdated.
on July 15, 2013
I run mine on a Macbook Pro with the Retina Display. It really makes a nice picture. I deducted one star because this thing runs extremely hot. I'm not sure if it's the device or not, but I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and I can't get NBC Digital OTA. Still a solid product.
on August 12, 2013
Our cable provider was in the process of switching all channels to digital format. Our 10 year old DVR/DVD player just couldn't handle it, so I went looking for an alternative. The problem is that unless you want to rent something from the cable company, or pay a lot of money for a subscription to another well known DVR service, you are now out of luck. Enter EyeTV.

I hooked this into a 2010 Mac Mini. It was easy to set up following the set up assistant. However, using the basic channel search failed to find all the new channels. This required that I do the "extensive" search, which took over 2 hours to complete. In the end it was worth it. It found every channel and the picture is very sharp. No lag.

The ability to record shows is so much easier than my old DVR. It's easy to do a search by name or station to find what you want to record and to set up the programing. This has been wonderful. However, there is a downside. There is only one tuner so if you are recording you aren't watching something else. In the past I could just change from my DVR over to the TV and watch, but there is no "cable pass through" with this device, so the only cable input is to EyeTV."

You do need to pay $20/year for the TV Guide channel guide after the first year, but that's a lot cheaper than other services.

We've been using this for 1.5 months now without a problem.
on September 1, 2013
I purchased a pair of these to use with a new Mac Mini Server I was setting up for a customer as a media center. They had issues connecting to the USB on the Mac and kept crashing EyeTV. I worked with James in EyeTV for almost 3 weeks before I gave up and bought Hauppauge 950Qs that ended up working fine. Make sure to get the "B" version of the 950Q as the new "E" version does not work with EyeTV. I returned these to Amazon who was wonderful about taking them back. Even sent a shipping label!
I recommend Amazon highly! Not so high on this EyeTV setup if you have a Mac! (I am a computer technician who sells and services Mac computers.)