Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on October 5, 2011
Pros - This watch looks amazing. The intricate engraving on the movement supports and counterweight are very eye-catching.
Accurate - Chinese movement or not, this thing is the most accurate mechanical-based watch I've ever owned. I've wound it and set the time once since I opened the package, and it's accurate to within 5 seconds every day.
Comfortable to wear. Normally, I find that I need a break-in period on leather bands to get myself used to the feel. However, this is not the case with this watch; it was instantly comfortable to wear.
It's a light watch for one of its size.
For most automatic watches, I still have had to wind them in the morning, but not this watch. The spring is easily visible from the front dial and it always seems to wind to max tension within an hour or so of me putting it on in the morning, and I have a boring desk job.
The second hand stops when you pull the crown out. This is handy for setting precise time. Other mechanical watches have a secondary dial for seconds, which continues to count even with the crown pulled out, but since the second hand is on the main dial with the minute and hour hands, it stops when the crown is pulled out.
Hour markers have luminescence.
The second hand is smooth-operating as it is directly linked to the pendulum. It ticks about every 1/3rd of a second, making it a near seamless movement.
You can get this watch cheaper on e-bay. I bought mine for ~$45 USD, shipped, new in original package with tags and manual. Well worth the price.

Cons - Along with the pro, it is a light watch. Some don't like light-feeling watches and compare them to cheap ones. I don't mind this, but others might.
The leather, while comfortable, is not top notch, but then again, you don't expect to get high-grade stuff at this price point. Plus, you can always replace it.
The hands are similar in same color as the dial face. This can make it hard to tell the time, but it becomes easier as you learn what to look for.
While the number markers have luminescence, the hands do not. This nearly defeats the purpose of having luminescence in the first place.
Chinese movement - It specifically says ChineseAuto movement on the back. This doesn't bother me, because it's accurate, but it might bother some.

The only thing I'm not sure about is durability and accuracy over time. I haven't owned this watch long enough to make that conclusion. However, if this watch lasts me 3 years or more, then I'd consider it a lucrative purchase.
11 comment13 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 9, 2013
I bought this watch for my son. Here's his input:

"This is a gorgeous watch. I love watching the movement and it's just beautiful. I love mechanical/automatic watches; those are what I mostly wear. I really liked this one when I saw it, especially because it's at an affordable price. The only downside is that the hands almost blend in with the visible movement, making the time quite hard to see, especially in dim light. I like to be able to take a quick glance and see the time, but with this watch I have to tilt it so the light hits it just right. If the hands were solid through, or black, then it would be fine. This watch is more for show than for practical timekeeping. However, it's still a nice watch."
on August 18, 2012
I really like this watch. It keeps accurate timing to within 5 seconds, and the self winding mechanism stores energy up to around a day and a half. The only thing that I have a problem with is the leather strap. It fits nicely enough; however, it is a pain to take off. I've only had my watch for around two weeks, and the leather is already cracking apart at the spot where the band is set. But since it is at a fairly good price, overall I give this watch a 4 out of 5.

Pros: Comfortable, Keeps accurate time, Very fun to watch all of the gears as with any skeleton automatic watch

Cons: Leather strap is not the greatest...at all.

If you get this watch for $75 or less, buy it!
on June 13, 2013
I was excited about receiving an Elgin Watch, I remember them from the 60' and 70's as very nice time pieces. In fact my Dad has an Elgin which must be at least 50 yrs. old still runs and looks good. However, upon receiving this watch which was made in China I found it to be very poorly made. It was returned. I love Amazon.com, just wish they had a quality control department that could inspect items to be sold and would reject poorly made items. I RATE THIS WATCH 0 STARS.
33 comments5 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 12, 2013
This is an awesome looking watch. I had it for two weeks now and it keeps very accurate time. I've received countless complements on this watch. People think the watch is very expensive when in fact its a reasonably priced watch. The leather strap has held up well so far but I've only owned the watch for two weeks.
on June 26, 2013
I'm glad I listened to the reviews here, and decided to take a chance on this watch! It's very well made, and impressive. It appears to be of a much higher quality than the cost. The mounting has a card that says "$80 Every Day". I believe it! It's hard to find value like this today. Highly recommended.
on December 15, 2014
Have owned this watch for years and have replaced two bands from wearing daily during that time.
Highly Accurate and beautiful, front and back. For the price point this automatic watch is top notch.
See the review below for more details, he was spot on for detailed review.
on June 7, 2013
This is my first Elgin watch. It keeps good time, and for the money looks like a much more expensive time piece. Lets see how well it preforms for the long stretch.
on January 4, 2015
This watch looks amazing. I loved it when I got it. Unfortunately it stopped working a few months after purchase. I do not recommend.
on January 17, 2014
Would definitely recommend this product. Doesn't need a battery to work. As long as you wear it the time keeps up. I love it.