Verified Purchase
This is the best deal you will find for a dimmer pack. Can't beat it.

Now for the details. Having used these for more than a year, take note of these things when buying this unit:

1) It's the best deal. I searched long and hard for the best deal on dimmer packs, and this is it. Look no further. Priced under $100 and eligible for Free Prime Two-Day Shipping, this is an easy choice.

2) Note the amps, volts, and watts. Run the calculations for your setup. Google about this if you need to. Run the calculator. For my set up, I only use two of the eight plug-ins. Let me explain why. With this unit, you get four channels with two plugs for each channel. Each channel can sustain 5amps, and the entire unit maxes out at 15amps. This means that if you're using a 110 or 120 outlet, the most (and you don't necessarily want to max out these things) you would get out of the unit is enough juice to power one 575 watt lamp per channel, and even then, you can really only use two, maybe three channels. For my setup, I found that trying to run three channels with 575 watt lamps either tripped the unit or tripped by breaker. So, be careful, and do your research.

3) This unit DOES have full dimming capabilities, not just "on and off" capabilities, as other reviewers have thought. To use the full dimming capabilities, you must set the unit up properly.

4) Learn DMX protocols. This can be tricky for new users, but the manual does explain which dip switches to flip in order to start at certain channels on your board.

5) Fuses will blow. For me, after more than a year of using these, I've learned that fuses basically blow any time a lamp burns out. No big deal though, just unplug the unit and swap it out. That said, the fuses can be purchased expensively at Grainger Supply or inexpensively in bulk on the internet.

6) This unit can be used without a board. Just put the thing in sound mode, and it will change colors when it picks up a beat. Convenient for party use or solo acts.

7) This unit uses three pin DMX cables or XLR cables, not five pin DMX.

So that's my review. These things work well, and they are reasonably priced. Just make sure you read up on DMX stuff and watt/amp stuff so that you can eliminate any possible "user error" that my lessen your experience.

Have fun!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon June 6, 2010
I have an ED-15 "Eliminator" dimmer pack. I didn't get it from Amazon. However, the description of this unit here on Amazon shows up with text that has nothing to do with the unit (and different descriptions each time: once it was for a video game, once for a video camera). Make sure you're looking at what you think you're looking at, before you buy.

The rest of this review is for the ED-15 I have, which is a 4 channel lighting dimmer, period - no video capability, no monsters, just a dimmer.

It works, but it has some issues. I like it because it has 4 analog inputs, which take 0-10v control voltages, to set the lighting brightness. This means it's easy to control from the sort of hardware you can make on your own, with a little knowledge of electronics.

As a dimmer under the analog line control, it's imprecise. When you vary the input control voltage, the brightness of the bulbs does follow, but erratically, and it takes a moment to settle at the new brightness. I used to own a Leviton dimmer that was rock solid and smooth in dimming, so I find the behaviour of this unit a little annoying in that regard. But it's a lot cheaper.

At one point there was a power flicker at my house, and all the lighting channels went into some bizarre mode where they all flickered very rapidly. I thought the device had fried, and it wasn't until I unplugged it and then, out of curiosity, plugged it back in, that I found out it had survived, and just needed to be power cycled. This makes me a little nervous about using it for long term unattended operation, though.

It drives the stated wattage without much noise (faint buzzing) and without getting very hot.

It works well with the (expensive) dimmable LED bulbs that are coming out.

All said, it's not a bad unit; I wish the dimming was smoother.

Addendum: I've starting using it with homebrew DMX control software, instead of the analog voltage lines, and it's rock solid under DMX, including being tolerant of slow DMX signals. (DMX devices are supposed to be tolerant of them, and it's nice when they are). Bumping this up to 4 stars. Note that it takes a 3 pin plug for the DMX, not the standard-mandated 5 pin - a common shortcut that many manufacturers take, and it saves a few pennies on cabling, but be careful you don't plug in a cable from audio gear by mistake, which often uses the same kind of 3 pin plug. You'll damage your gear.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 30, 2013
Verified Purchase
This is an amazing pack for the price. I paid $80 which I thought was a bargain, today I see they are at $61, and shippable on Prime as well, so if you have that and can wait 2 days, no shipping charges either. I use them to drive a number of ellipsoidal, fresnel and par spotlights (old style) and also daisy chain to several LED color panels and spots that are directly DMX. I have never had a problem with them. You have to be patient to set the DMX address (small dip switches) and make sure you set the function DIPs properly, but they work and work well. The are nominally rated at and fused for 15amps ( 1800 watts at 120V) and are fused for that but this is to make sure you don't use them on a 15A circuit and try to draw more current. Internally, they are apparently capable of handling a full 600w per channel, 2400w total or 20A but you have to refuse and replug them and make sure you are connecting them to a real 20A circuit, otherwise you will flip breakers or blow fuses. Even at 1800w max, you can run three channels at 500-600w which lets you run standard "small" 6" fresnels and par cans (typically 500w), Source 4s or other compatible 575w ellipsoidals. Do not try to run anything over 600 watts on a single channel even though the pack itself is rated for sufficient wattage. I am using special 250w bulbs in my ellipsoidals because we are in a very small theater (25' throw max) and this way we can run 6-7 spots on each pack (there are 2 sockets per channel, 8 total on the pack).

I highly recommend these compared to their much more expensive cousins that typicallky go for $150-300 and up per pack. You get way more bang for your buck, flexibility galore and a good qualify product.
on October 8, 2014
Verified Purchase
I like this unit, I really liked the fact that channels 1&2 can be set for dimmer while channels 3&4 can turn on and off. But when you use it in a daisy chain of other DMX products, whether it is first, last, or somewhere in the middle it will mess with the other DMX products causing them to work erratically. In the instructions is warns of this, but says nothing in the online description.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 1, 2014
Verified Purchase
I own 8 of these dimmer packs with more than 5 years of hard road use on them. They've all survived and that is no small feat!

For travelling theater companies you rarely get a single large power source so you have to distribute your lighting load across numerous 20 amp wall outlets. With a maximum load of 15 amp plus the inherent losses in those long extension cords each pack nicely fills one 20A circuit. Each pack can then support (4) 300W PAR56 cans or (3) 500W PAR64 cans (inexpensive and durable instruments). Need a practical light on stage? Just drop another dimmer pack right on the set.

A couple tips and tricks:
- learn the DIP switch settings (i cut out the guide from the manual and taped it on the back for reference). Get a "DMX Switch" app on your phone to set the DMX address (unless you speak fluent binary)
- buy an extra lighting clamp to fit into the bracket on the top. Then you can hang the dimmer pack right on the lighting truss next to the cluster of instruments that it controls
- learn about watts/amps/volts (there's an app for that too). Don't think that just because there are open outlets on the pack you can plug something into them! Keep it safe and stay with 500W max per duplex (pairs of outlets). I haven't blown a single fuse yet.
- keep a stock of extra 3-pin XLR cables to chain them together. Yes 3-pin cables violate the DMX spec but they are cheap and work well for reasonable distances. Invest in a DMX Termination plug to go in the last pack in the chain to keep signals clean

The best part of these small packs is that you can put the dimmer near the lights and run a single power cord to each cluster instead of having a giant dimmer rack on the floor with dozens of power cords fanning out to the instruments.

Durable, inexpensive, quick to set up
on January 6, 2012
Verified Purchase
It works. Only 15amps... good for par 38's and smaller wattage lights. To be effective one should always buy in pairs.
on October 6, 2013
Verified Purchase
I have a small recording studio in my basement, and I thought it would be neat if I installed a lighting system, too. I purchased one of these ED15 dimmer packs, and then I was so pleased with it that a couple of weeks later I got another one.

So far I have been really happy with the ED15s. I have 48 lights (40-Watt Bulbrite ceramic green, blue, red & yellow bulbs) in small clip-on lamps clipped to the beams of my unfinished basement. I split 3 lights into each outlet, for a total of 6 lights per channel. My 7 year-old son and I have a blast playing the drums with the light show!

I did have a strange issue that occurred one day and never since: the ED15s would not work when I turned them on, even though the Power Indicator light came on. I called Eliminator Lighting, and they were very friendly and tried their best to fix my problem, which turned out to be a problem with my power system, I think; unplugging one light and plugging it into a different outlet would start the ED15s right up. I have since installed two new 20-AMP circuits: the lights go into one and the audio system into the other, and I have had no more problems.

Please note that so far I only use these in stand-alone mode, so I can't speak for their DMX capabilities. They run in auto-mode, running from the pre-set programs and at a speed controlled by the dip switches, or in audio mode, following the pre-sets to the beat of the drums or bass. They respond very well to my drums, but the music does have to be turned up somewhat for them to respond to my audio system. I would like to eventually control them from my MacBook Pro, but there is not much online guidance indicating which software and USB-to-DMX converters I will need. I called Eliminator Lighting again, and they suggested American DJ's My DMX 2.0. That costs about $300, though, so I'm bidding my time. For the moment, I am very happy with the system as it is.

Also note that the packs only dim in DMX slave mode; in stand-alone mode they simply turn on & off.

I would probably have given the ED15s a 4-star rating, given the slight imperfections I have noted, but for $70, they can't be beat!
on July 16, 2014
Verified Purchase
i still havent been able to master the settings . very small hard to read and to set up so far been a big pain. seems like light s work then they just stay on . i would not purchase again .
Verified Purchase
they are awesome... im very happy with these light controllers and wouldnt own anything else they work well withe par 56 cans.. and dim and bright like they should
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Awesome dimmer for its price! I bought about 3 of these units to incorporate into my Christmas light show for 2014, and they're working just fine in the enclosures I've built for them.
Dimming is smooth and so is the other shimmering/twinkling/ect effects.
Would reccomend for people looking for a cheap alternative to a few extra channels of 512.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations