4.0 out of 5 stars Trimmest one size diaper available
Fuzzi Bunz did a great job tweaking the design of their one size diaper. The Elites are the trimmest one size diaper I have used in 6 years of cloth diapering. With the exception of prefolds and flats, which are not for everyone, this is the only diaper I would recommend to a friend to use from birth to potty learning.

Pros:
Very trim
No bulky rise...
Published on December 11, 2011 by Laura G

Published 16 months ago by Megan

4.0 out of 5 stars Trimmest one size diaper available, December 11, 2011
Laura G (Pell City, AL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Size Elite FuzziBunz Cloth Diaper (Watermelon) (Baby Product)

Pros:
Very trim
No bulky rise snaps
Hip snaps (to prevent wing droop)
Soft, absorbent minkee inserts
Replaceable elastic, no sewing required
Soft leg elastic, no red marks on baby's skin
Strong back elastic, no poop escaping out the top of the diaper

Cons:
The elastic is not fun to replace - you have to fight with it. But, its not something you will have to do often - maybe once in the life of the diaper.

With the Elite, they have made the crotch trimmer, omitted the useless 4th snap on the bottom row and moved the button adjustable elastic to the inside of the pocket so the buttons never touch your baby. The fit is much trimmer and my 13lb three month old can close her legs completely while wearing the Elite, where she could not with the regular one size.

I loved the original FB one size, but I love this one a lot more.

If you are new to cloth diapering and considering purchasing these to use on a newborn, let me assure you that this is the best one size diaper option for a newborn. To compare: Most one size diapers do not start working until the baby is at least 10 pounds, and they are still very bulky and too wide through the crotch then. These are actually trimmer than a lot of the sized newborn diapers and covers I used recently. The Rumparooz fit a newborn well, but they do not have a great track record for durability and customer service. BumGenius is a great brand, but their one size diapers are still too bulky on my 3 month old for her to be able to wear clothes in her size, and they have recently changed their washing instructions to wash on 100 degrees or less, which is warm on most machine settings. If you wash on hot, they will not honor their warranty.

The minkee inserts in the FB Elite are much trimmer than the microfiber they used in the past. They are also very soft and don't stick to your hands while stuffing like microfiber does. So far, they appear to be slightly more absorbent than the microfiber inserts and they have stayed very soft and bright white through several washes. If I have any issues with getting these clean or durability in the next few months of use, I will update this review.

UPDATE 1/15

I have been using these diapers, of which I now have 8, for the past month. My review was originally five stars, but I feel the need to remove a star for several small complaints.

1. Of the 8 diapers I purchased, one of them was defective. The leg casing was cut significantly longer than the other diapers. I troubleshooted with different elastic, different settings, etc. before contacting Fuzzi Bunz customer support. When I contacted them, they suggested that I wasn't putting the diaper on correctly. Really? Its a diaper, not rocket science. I even sent them detailed pictures of the defect, but they were not initially willing to replace it. When I told them that I was very unhappy that, when I contacted customer support for the first time in 6 years of using their various products, they were not willing to help me, I got a shipping notice for a new diaper, but never did I receive a reply. The totally time between me initiating the communication with them and the time they shipped the new diaper was 3 weeks.

2. The inserts that come with these diapers are not consistent AT ALL. You are supposed to get one short (xs/s) and one long (m/l). They are all drastically different widths. Some of the inserts are nearly too wide for the very trim crotch of these diapers. And, because these diapers are so very trim, there are few if any inserts made by others that fit and lay flat. This is not reason enough for me to stop buying or discontinue using these, but it is worth mentioning.

3. The waist and leg elastics are secured at each end by a button. In one of my diapers the waist elastic slipped down inside the casing on one side when I didn't button it securely upon arrival, and then washed it. It took three people and tools to finally work the elastic back out of the opening. Because the inside of the casing is stickly PUL, it grips the elastic and makes it very difficult to get back out if it ever accidentally slips inside. I dread the day I have to replace a full set of elastic. The legs are no so difficult to replace, but I think the waist elastic will prove to be an exercise in frustration.

I still love the fit and the function of these diapers, and after a month of use in a very small rotation (they are washed every other day) they still look brand new with soft fleece inside and no stains. My daughter seems very comfortable in them, and they do not leave red marks on her increasingly chubby thighs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fuzzibunz user since 1999, February 15, 2012
We just had our 5th child and we have used Fuzzibunz since our first was born almost 13 years ago. Of course, Fuzzibunz has changed here and there over the years but every time we've had a baby, we end up using Fuzzibunz exclusively but only after trying out all the newest "it" cloth diapers out there at the time.

PROS:

-The new Elites are super trim! They are almost as trim as a disposable! The Elite would definitely fit a tiny newborn (6-8lbs)...way better than Fuzzibunz Perfect size XS or S (I have both). I cannot speak for the top size range of the diaper as my son is just 6 weeks old and 11+ lbs at the time of this review.

-The minky inserts are buttery soft and way better than microfiber inserts.

-The new fleece inside is less pilly as promised. There seems to be some inconsistency though. Out of the 24 Elites I own, some are ever so slightly pilly and others are not at all...they are super smooth to the touch. I think maybe it's just expected inconsistency with fleece material (?)

-Replacement elastics included

-New awesome LIFETIME warranty! See Fuzzibunz.com for details.

-GREAT customer service. I received a response within 24 hours!

-Colors are bright and cheery!

-GREAT price for a diaper that lasts!

-They are NOT made in CHINA!

CONS:

-Adjusting all the elastics in my whole diaper stash is a pain in the butt.....especially if you have to tweak the size a few times in the first week of use trying to get the right fit and all! However, I prefer the adjustable elastics to the other one-size diapers out there that have a bunch of snaps on the front of the diaper. I just don't like the look of that style at all.

-Waist elastic size might not last through toddlerhood. My 11'lber is on setting #2 already and he's not that chubby at all but I did read somewhere that you can use the replacement elastic (included) for the leg in the waist (just use a safety pin to change them out)! Or another thought is that babies slim down in their belly as they get bigger so maybe it won't be an issue after all. We'll see!

-Minky inserts---as much as they are super buttery soft and better than microfiber, they just didn't work for my heavy wetter baby and I ended up using Thirsties hemp inserts and Fuzzibunz organic cotton inserts (purchased separately) instead (just one insert at a time not together). With the minky inserts, my son's first pee was leaking out the legs within 15-20 minutes of a diaper change.....but with the hemp inserts NO MORE LEAKS so far! I need to figure out if I'm washing my minky inserts wrong or if they just aren't cutting it material-wise for my baby's full force wetting. I wish Fuzzibunz offered a choice of inserts. This is the SOLE reason for my 4 star review.

-A little tricky to stuff. Here's a trick I learned-- If you fold the insert in half and stick your hand in the middle (fingertips towards middle of folded insert)...then line it up with the back of the pocket and smooth the insert flat as you move your hand into the pocket, you should be good to go! Dads with huge hands- beware! All in all, it now takes me about 5 seconds to stuff the pocket now that I learned to fold the insert in half.

-Not great for overnights/heavy wetters where you need to double up or triple up your inserts. Some might be able to get away with using both minky inserts for a heavy wetter which I have to say fits just fine in the pocket and is still really really trim even on my 6 week old. I highly recommend getting 2-4 Perfect size Fuzzibunz for overnights. There is a lot more room in the pocket to fit all kinds of inserts!

I will update this review over time so stay tuned!

UPDATE APRIL 2012:

Turns out that the Minky inserts had build-up from the first washing! I stripped them with a squirt of Dawn dish detergent and rewashed using Tide Free & Gentle (which works well on all the Fuzzibunz pockets, Minky inserts and Thirsties hemp inserts) and NO MORE MINKY LEAKS! I still feel the Thirsties inserts are way more absorbent but I'm glad the minky aren't leaking every single time anymore! I changed my review to 5 stars!

UPDATE SEPTEMBER 2012
Well, my son is 8 months old and weighing in at 21.4lbs. He's huge! We are still using Fuzzibunz exclusively though over the summer I tried out some Flats and Flips which I like okay. I still prefer the Elites stuffed with Thirsties hemp. I NEVER have a leak! I change him every 1-3 hours depending on what we're up to (and obviously I change him as soon as I notice he poops or pees). I did have to take out the waist elastic as it was leaving marks on his back but he's super chunky! No issue whatsoever with poop leaking out without the back elastic in. He's eating solids so his poop doesn't escape at all!

4.0 out of 5 stars My favorite pocket diaper, but not a "magic bullet!", May 19, 2012
I have been cloth diapering for nearly ten years, and have tried over a dozen different, popular brands of cloth diapers in all their various forms (prefolds & covers, fitteds & covers, all-in-ones, all-in-twos, pockets, you name it! ;)). Out of them all, the FuzziBunz Elites are my overall favorite. The thing I like best is the way they are so perfectly sized for my little one (in every stage of life so far :)) with all of the adjustable elastic and none of those ugly snaps all down the front of the diaper (I've used those for several years and just can't get the same kind of fit as I do with the adjustable elastic). The design is trim and cute as can be!!! The triple snap keeps the diaper in place so well for tiny babies all the way to moving, curious toddlers. The colors are beautiful (though Spearmint is completely different--and much darker--than it shows on the site) and make cloth diapering as fun as diapering can be. ;)

I wish I could say this is the magic bullet diaper... while it is my favorite, I have to say there are some cons. First, the general pocket cons: the laundry load (I'm talking volume) and initial cost of pockets is so much more than covers with prefolds or inserts (I really like Thirsties Duo Wraps with Babykicks Premium Joey Bunz hemp inserts, makes a very trim diaper and not much laundry). However, for pockets, the ease of use, the way the inserts stay where they're supposed to and don't get all bunched up, and the way they wash up so nice and stain-free just about make up for these facts. :)

My main disappointment with this particular diaper is that I thought the minky inserts were supposed to work better than the microfiber, but they have given me lots of "compression leaks." On the FuzziBunz site ([...]) you can read about that in their leaks forum... lots of moms are frustrated with all the wet outfits in such a short time due to the way the pee in the minky can squeeze out through the seams. I really don't understand why FuzziBunz doesn't just offer hemp inserts to begin with, since that is what all the moms are recommended to get by the official rep who responds in the leak forum. And, quite frankly, to spend $20 per diaper and then be told to get a whole other set of inserts is a slap in the face! I actually considered throwing in the towel and selling off all 24 of my Elites after so many disappointing leaks. But after not being able to find a buyer to pay for my almost new diapers, I decided I'd better keep at it since I had so many now and paid so much for them. I am happy to say that they are working better for us now. I have to use 2 minky inserts during the day and change every 2 (or at most 3) hours and sometimes use 3 inserts at night. But this method is keeping leaks at bay. :)

I also think it would be nice if the design of the diaper was such that no foreign material would make its way between the fleece and outer cover in the snap area, which is extremely difficult (if not impossible) to remove. Yuck!

BumGenius does not have any of these problems I just listed in the previous couple of paragraphs, but I still like the FuzziBunz better, for one reason in particular--with the BumGenius, my daughter was often leaking poop out the legs and sometimes up the back when she would wake up in the morning. While we still sometimes have pee leaks when she sleeps all night (especially on the tummy as she is a tummy sleeper and FuzziBunz doesn't have the extra waterproof material on the inside top like BumGenius), she has NEVER leaked poop. I can deal with some wetness, but the other is just plain disgusting to have to wake up to! So thanks, FuzziBunz! ;) I was getting to where I had to put a Thirsties Duo Wrap cover over the entire BumGenius to prevent the poop leaks--what a pain! I just couldn't get the BG to fit perfectly like the FuzziBunz Elite, with no little gaps in the legs/back, without it looking like I was going to cut off her circulation.

Just wanted to throw in my experience, hoping it might help someone. I SO appreciate all the reviews everyone takes the time to write when I'm trying to figure out what to buy on Amazon. Thanks for reading and good luck to you! :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Cloth diaper review - Fuzzibunz NOT a winner or even a contender, October 30, 2013
We started off using cloth diapers with our first baby. We have tried the pocket systems from BumGenius, Charlie Banana and Fuzzibunz. We started off using BumGenius pocket diapers (4.0) that we found at a consignment sale. You could tell that they had been used, but were in pretty good condition. After using those, we replaced most of the used ones with new BumGenius pocket diapers. I really like them. Our baby was born small (4 pounds) so we had some leaks, but it's understandable when the diaper is about as bulky as your child. I really like the two different sized inserts. The newborn one fit for several months and we recently switched to the larger size that can be adjusted to small, medium or large. It's a little bulky, but again, that's what you get with cloth diapers. The shells pretty much look new even though they have been used a lot. We have both the snaps and the velcro. I would recommend a few velcro because they are so easy to put on squirmy babies and fit our baby when she was at her smallest much better than the snaps. Now though, I like the snaps since they last longer. The one thing I have found with BumGenius is that they really need to dry in the sun or they pick up quite the funky smell (stripping them did not get rid of the smell for me - only sunshine).

I had a friend recommend Charlie Banana diapers with the appeal that you can adjust the leg girth. We tried two and I like them. The issues I have had are that they are not as absorbent as the BumGenius diapers. It would be nice if the inserts were a little wider since they don't stretch the full girth of the diaper. I really like the adjustable leg elastics though and the snaps that can be overlayed. I really like how narrow the diaper is too. It fits smaller babies very well. I would give these a 4 (5 if the inserts were wider).

I tried these Fuzzibunz diapers with the hope of getting the adjustability like a Charlie Banana and the absorbency of BumGenius - I thought they would be the best of both worlds. Unfortunately that is not what I found AT ALL. Although they are adjustable, you are not able to practically make the diapers small enough to fit medium-sized to smaller babies. The microfiber inserts work well (especially in my Charlie Banana shell) - they are a nice size and absorb well. The shell is the real problem though. It is big. The amount of fabric on the cover really makes it difficult to size the diaper to fit babies that are not enormous. In addition, you cannot overlap the snaps like you are able to do in a Charlie Banana diaper so you are limited in waist adjustment. A huge issue is that there is SO much fabric in the back that even when you adjust the waist and the leg girth, the insert swims around and is not held securely to the baby in order to absorb wetness. Additionally, these diapers are several dollars more per diaper compared to both BumGenius and Charlie Banana.

If you are thinking about doing cloth, I would recommend trying a few different styles within your price point to find your favorite. For us, BumGenius and Charlie Banana are a go ahead. These Fuzzibunz were definitely a waste of money and not diapers that we will be able to use.

3.0 out of 5 stars Absorbency Problems, December 14, 2013
Ack! I don't know what happened with these--maybe we didn't do the prewashing of the inserts right? But we never could get them to absorb as well as the other brands of cloth diapers. If I put her in one of these, I packed several extra outfits, because danger was coming...

Also, the elastic system adjustment system around the legs and belly was annoying. It's fine to adjust just one diaper, but when you've got a whole stack, your fingers get cramped, and your blind sleeplessness starts to make you really bitter because you are adjusting and readjusting elastic and stuffing diapers and wondering why you ever went down the cloth diaper road at all--which is silly, because there are easier brands to work with out there--Bum Genius and GroVia come to mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection!!!, August 26, 2013
New to cloth diapers, I bought a few different brands and set out to find how they stacked up. The fuzzibunz, one size, fits on my 6lb newborn! They fit well into toddler life too. I put the liner on top of the pocket in order to use a hemp insert (thinner, more absorbent, and anti microbial) this and the BottomBumpers one size were absolutely the best ones.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not our favorite..., February 14, 2013
Not bad. We got this one fairly early in our diaper collection and at first liked it. That was until I tried more from cotton babies (4.0, freetime, and flip) and I loved all of those products more. The inside of the diaper is kinda sticky so it's really hard to stuff the pocket compared to the bumgenius 4.0. Also any time we've just used one insert we've had leaks.. I also like to be able to snap only 2 snaps compared to this diapers' 3. It's more narrow in the crotch so I can see this being better perhaps for smaller babies but I'm already worried about it fitting my girl as long as the bumgenius diapers will.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good!, March 27, 2013
This is one of the few one size diapers that fits my newborn. So far I really like the design/absorption. She's EBF so no issues with stink after washing and this washes/dries really well! Might add a few more to my stash after destashing some different brands/types of dipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome diapers!, April 3, 2013
Lisa (Arlington, TN) - See all my reviews
These are great diapers. Great quality. Great colors. The diapers wash very well. No leaking problems. The fit my daughter well. The diapers come with two liners and also elastic in case you need to replace it.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the better one-size diapers for newborns, September 15, 2012
My daughter is now 6 weeks old, and I've been able to use these diapers since she was 2 weeks (she was on the big side at 8lb 9oz). Because of the trimness between the legs and the thin inserts, it was one of the few one-size diapers that I could fit on her as a newborn. She started leaking out of the newborn bungenius and fuzzibunz sizes within the first two weeks. I went out and purchased 3 more in addition to the 2 I had originally. Initially, I loved the minky insert since it was small and trim. However, I've already started having some leaks out the legs do to over-saturation. I'm not thrilled to have to double-up on the inserts before she even reaches 2 months, but the diaper is still trimmer than some of my other options. I also purchased some size small babykicks hemp inserts specifically for these diapers. The shape allows them to fit pretty well without too much bunching.

One thing I noticed was that the inserts that I received with 1 of the newer ones was significantly wider than the ones that came with the other 3. I'm not sure if that was intentional by the manufacturer or not. It is a bit harder to get into the pocket, but I'm hoping it will add a bit of absorbency.