Published on June 25, 2010 by ATB / Molly Black

2.0 out of 5 stars No narrative--no interest
Published on December 26, 2010 by Susan Reynolds

2.0 out of 5 stars No narrative--no interest, December 26, 2010
I have read several biographies about Elizabeth Taylor and this one is not good at all. I rarely give bad reviews, but this book is just terrible. There isn't a narrative at all. The author simply strings "facts" together in a semi-chronological way. She breezes through the first marriages, and, other than a few quotes (can't find any attribution though) by Elizabeth, she doesn't attempt to validate anything said. Ugh. Just don't buy this book. It is a disappointment.

4.0 out of 5 stars A better written than normal Kitty Kelley book on Elizabeth Taylor, June 25, 2010
ATB / Molly Black (Oakland, CA USA (Piedmont)) - See all my reviews
I have to admit that this is the best book of Kitty Kelley's that I've read. Most of her books she uses a terrible form of shorthand style writing. It isn't journalism and it's not made up but the way she writes I would expect more badly written books but, in this case, she finds a good person to write about and gets the naughtiness dished up in an what strikes me as a fairly discreet way. Her writing style also appears to have had a firm editor that kept their hand on the equivalent of a tiller.

It is definitely less of an attack book than some of her others and it definitely gives Liz her shining star to place next to her two Oscars.

Recommended if you want a decently written long gossip column, so to speak, on the ever intriguing Elizabeth Taylor. I've re-read it several times when I've needed just something to pass the time (I'm a very fast reader) so I give it four stars since the writing still does leave something to be desired, but it came fairly close to getting a fifth star.

2.0 out of 5 stars It read like Kelly was putting little snippets of paper together to make a page., February 23, 2013
Dry and choppy. Not much that wasn't already known. Don't think this one was worth the money. Would have been nice to have had some pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Men loved her for her beauty and woman were jealous of her for her beauty., August 3, 2014
Great Book
Liz was a very passionate and compassionate woman. Like most people who are confused she had a mother problem.
Her mother used her and the woman used everyone else. It seemed to me that she was searching all of her life for direction and only took it from the worst people. She took on the personality and even the Jewish sayings of Mike Todd and Eddie Fisher. I laughed out loud every time she used Jewish expressions as if she were a Jewish person. Of course she picked these up from Mike and Eddie. She really loved Todd and Burton. Todd was good to her and I think the strong father she never had. Burton was just a run of the mill abusive alcoholic and she never should have gotten involved with him in the first place. She also was an alcoholic but not a "mean drunk" like he was. He was a disgusting vile drunk. She went from one jerk to another but she managed to help a lot of people along the way. You will love this book as I can't imagine anyone not liking any book by Kitty Kelly. The Family (Bush) is fabulous unless of course you like or respect any of them. Sinatra is great as is Nancy Reagan unless of course you liked or respected these two. I always liked and felt sorry for Liz as it was obvious she had a lousy, selfish mother who never lifted a finger to raise her self-esteem. Her father was a weak man so what chance did she have?

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book., February 3, 2012
Elizabeth T aylor: The Star was a good book. It revealed a lot about celebrity live. Elizabeth Taylor was a very interesting peson. I enjoyed learning more about her life.

3.0 out of 5 stars Facts in successive order, January 14, 2013
This review is from: Elizabeth Taylor: The Last Star (Paperback)
I didn't see this book so much as a biography as much as a lot of factoids strung together to make a full length book. I suppose if you are very interested in this famous starlet or if you were doing a research paper on her, this might be a good place to start. For me, it was rather boring. There is no conversational style to this book that pulls the reader in. I didn't love it, but others might, I suppose it depends on what you are looking for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Biography !, September 30, 2014
This review is from: Elizabeth Taylor: The Last Star (Paperback)
Elizabeth Taylor:The Last Star by Kitty Kelley tells the story of Elizabeth Taylor. Not till her death like more recent books, this is still good. Anyone who is interested in Elizabeth Taylor ,or the Golden Age of Hollywood will like this the most.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sad., December 3, 2014
A reader must bear in mind that Kelley is a writer who collects researched material on her subjects and follows well, for the most part, chronological order of the individuals' life and events. If a reader is looking for a biography type work which incorporates flourish and some fantasy, this isn't it. We can't know precisely what is exactly fact and fiction, but I think that Kelley is one of the best authors in chronicling the lives of those famous/infamous including gossip as well as interview material. For me anyway, it's difficult to admire Liz Taylor. My personal opinions of her remain low. In my opinion , she was evidently, a histrionic, self indulgent and whining woman. When Taylor mentioned in a interview with Oprah that she was a "survivor" it was hard for me to not guffaw. I would think all the women, marriages and careers she helped to end, might be considered themselves "survivors" of Ms. Taylor. Her forays into charity were always highly publicized with her appearing saintly and noble. I also recall an interview wherein she blamed Richard Burton for her alcoholism and said she drank heavily to keep him company. Nothing is further from the truth. Taylor began her drinking career at about nineteen. Personally, I always felt she became a star purely through her looks. Her high pitched whiny voice certainly could never be considered an audio asset. A reader who doesn't live with rose tinted lenses on, and would like to read about Taylor and the horrors of her dysfunctional lifestyle as well as those around her, would find this book eye opening and insightful.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, June 6, 2014
If you like old Hollywood this is a must read. My mom loved the book and suggested it to her sisters and friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pitiable Person, August 12, 2014
some unknown news-best of all- made me sooo glad I was not born Elizabeth Taylor...
Not that great an actress, raised her kids like puppies. Illiterate and greedy. Not someone to admire nor emulate, if you wanted.

Elizabeth Taylor: The Last Star
Elizabeth Taylor: The Last Star by Kitty Kelley (Paperback - May 16, 2011)
$24.99 $21.20