Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on November 2, 2011
Marrying for the sake of the children and without love is unusual in the 21st century. But this time it works for Elizabeth, who is at a stage in her life when she needs a change, a new direction. Her love for the children of her dead friend gives her a new purpose. The fly in the ointment is the children's Uncle Jack, who wants custody of the kids. Jack and Elizabeth are forced to marry to keep the children out of foster care. Throw in some mystery surrounding the death of the children's parents, some danger, and romance, and the story will grab you. I read this novella in one sitting.
on October 12, 2012
I enjoyed this story, but found myself skipping through a lot of the sexual attraction stuff. Like enough already. Get to it. Get it over with so we can get on with the story. Overall I enjoyed the book. Read it in 3 days.
on June 21, 2016
When Julie and Todd die in a plane crash, her best friend Elizabeth and his brother Jack both want to take care of their 2 children, and decide the best way to do so is to marry.

(Though reviews are inherently subjective, I prefer to provide some organization to my opinions through the use of a personal rubric. The following notes may contain spoilers.)

Plot and Setting: 3.5 -- Plot mixes cliche/overly convenient with unique/interesting. Plot points in sub-plots are dropped or not resolved. Setting is clear and believable, with only minor inconsistencies. The whole thing with the fires, shooting cattle, poisoning the dog, etc, was never really explained. I don't see why those things were necessary at all, let alone why they started before the plane crash. Too much time spent on their relationship as a married couple, not enough on them as parents of grieving kids. I don't buy that the kids were so miraculously fine once they hit Montana.Timeline may be a bit hard to follow. I was sure the whole thing had to take much longer, until suddenly it was Thanksgiving, making the whole thing less than 2 months.

Characters: 3 -- Most main characters are relatable and dynamic. Minor characters and villains are almost exclusively stereotyped or simplified. Not a lot of character depth. Elizabeth and Jack have clearly different personalities early on, but once they fall in love, their personalities kind of melt away. And I don't feel like I really got to know any of the characters.

Writing and Mechanics: 3 -- A handful of typos, punctuation issues, or word errors, but nothing that seriously hinders understanding. Misuse of "snuggly" multiple times when it should be "snugly," among others. Head-hopping or similar POV issues. Largely confined to Elizabeth and Jack, with occasional bits from their friends thrown in. But even between the 2 main ones, plenty of jumping back and forth within scenes. Average writing, with strong parts and parts that seriously struggle. The mysterious-bad-guy bits were actually a decent technique. Some quality sections, especially near the beginning, but it lost some of its focus and depth toward the end.

Redeeming Value: 3 -- Incidental uplifting themes. Their determination to provide for the kids is admirable, though they do get a bit distracted by each other. Kinda sorta shows Jack coming back to God. They attend church together at least once, pray sometimes, and that's about it. Sex, alcohol, drugs, violence, etc, are part of the story in morally ambiguous ways and sometimes unnecessarily graphic detail. Sexual attraction overemphasized. Frequent (minor) alcohol consumption, violent confrontation between good guys and bad guys, attempted rape that straddles the edge of explicit, and way more emphasis on their physical relationship than anything else.

Personal Enjoyment: 2.5 -- Not a huge fan. It was entertaining. I wouldn’t mind re-reading it someday, but it’s not a priority.
on July 6, 2015
I enjoyed this book a lot and enjoyed the story line. I read both books of the THE SILVER SPRINGS SETTLERS SERIES which are the prequels to this Silver Springs Contemporary Series. I was very surprised to read her statements regards lending the book prior to the start of the story; particularly her statement "" that each recipient should purchase their own book and if you did not purchase it; or it was not purchased for your use only, then please purchase your own copy. Thank you for respecting the hard work of this author." This statement is a real turn off to me. After all if you buy a "hard copy" of the book; it is your property to do with as you like; you can lend it to many people and most people do. If her books are in a library; they are read by many people that do not purchase the book. Most people that cannot afford to buy books; belong to and read books from the library. If you buy the kindle version and lending is available for the book; it can only be loaned one time......is the percentage of the .99cents charged for this book going to make or break the author; especially if it is only loaned once? I think this is a very poor attitude for the author and certainly makes me think twice before ordering or reading more of her books. I have a person who lives on a very limited income and loves to read that I loan kindle books to. She cannot see well enough to read a hard copy; but can enlarge the Kindle Print and enjoy reading a good story. When I read a particularly good book that I think someone I know would enjoy; I enjoy loaning them the book and I enjoy sharing the story w/them. I just don't get this negative attitude about loaning her books.
on January 8, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed the story, I am excited to be able to read additional books connecting the characters and locations.

Please, Gina Coon, re-edit these books for spelling and grammar before republishing.
on April 22, 2014
This was a very intriguing, suspenseful, tender love story that brings tears of endearing love to your heart and eyes. I want to thank Gina for helping me through some of my own personal "Hangups" and helping me move on with my Hero.
on December 29, 2011
I took a chance on it and I really enjoyed it! Was worth the read and am looking forward to reading more from this author.
on June 2, 2015
An excellent book filled with suspense, romance and family. I really enjoyed this book. I laughed and cried and couldn't put it down. This is a real winner!
on January 2, 2012
I like this author's writing but was disappointed in the overall series of books 1 through 4. I only read 3/4 of the book which ended fine but was then introduced into the next book. I felt like I had read a Novella instead of a full book. That part was disappointing.
on June 4, 2016
Way to explicit, didn't need that for the almost rape that happened. Disturbing!