Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on December 5, 2012
Yesterday, I purchased an Eljer Diplomat series toilet and everything seemed fine the first hour. A small leak developed on the handle side between the tank and the bowl. It appeared to be leaking from the tank bolt. Tightening the bolts didn't help much, so I removed the tank from the bowl for inspection. I found an uneven large porcelain lip on the bottom side of the bowl hole (handle side) where the tank nut attaches. That uneven lip was causing the bolt to cock at a small angle and not evenly seat the rubber tank washer. Ok, I grind the lip down so its fairly even. Next, I discard the flimsy plastic washers they give you and use metal washers under the nuts. I put it back together and that stopped the bolt leak.

However, after flushing the toilet several times, I noticed a very small amount of water resting on the bowl top between the tank and bowl. Everything was perfectly dry during reassemble, so this had to be a tiny seal leak between the tank outlet and bowl inlet during flushing only. I take it apart again and inspect the large rubber gasket seal and porcelain seat, and everything looked fine. Just for the heck of it I rotated the gasket 180 degrees and reinstalled the tank. Turned the water on and flushed the toilet several times and still had a tiny leak. I think I finally stopped the leak by over tightening the tank bolts.

Anyway, this has been a very frustrating experience and should not happen with a brand new toilet. I do like the flushing capacity and overall appearance, and that's the only reason why I gave it two stars.

UPDATE: The Eljer is still leaking, so I removed the toilet and brought it back for a refund. I bought a Delta Prelude, and the installation was easy with no leaks.
on October 2, 2012
Super easy to install but you can expect leaking. Like the other two reviews, a contractor installed and after a short period of time (2 hours), we experienced the leak.

We've tightened everything up and that didn't correct. We now have to dismantle, etc. What a hassle for Eljer's 'top tier' toilet.

Don't purchase.
on February 1, 2013
After the second reinstall of the tank on this model ( comfort height Eljer elongated bowl) I have improved the problem by 50%. Now the tank to toilet bolt only leaks on one side....
I was told by the folks at the local home improvement store that Eljer is made by American Standard and should function similarly. I installed a second A.S. toilet at the same time that this one was installed and it is dry.It would seem that they were mistaken.
So it's off to the store, tank in hand, for a swap out- let us pray.
Buyer beware- I wish I read these reviews before I purchased this product.
on April 14, 2012
I'm in the process of updating all four of my bathrooms. I am using high-efficiency toilets with a "10" flush rating as part of the update. For the third time now, I installed a "top-of-the-line" Eljer toilet. The reason I chose Eljer is that Eljer is carried by our only national-chain home improvement center in town (convenience).

Installation, as before, is a simple process. Just be sure all your mounting surfaces are clean and as level as possible. Use new hardware and wax seal of course. After hooking up the toilet and flushing it several times, all appeared well. However, after sitting for an hour, I noticed a small puddle of water on the floor. Later on, a second puddle would develope on the opposite side of the toilet. I retorqued the tank mount bolts but the leaks persisted. Now my only option was to disassemble the tank and investigate. What I found was a large piece of debris (china from the manufacture process) lodged under the tank outlet seal. Fortunately, with a bit of scraping, I was able to remove it. The tank was reassemlble, but this time I used silicon sealant on all bolts and seals.

The reason for this review is that I have had leak issues with all three Eljer toilets I have installed thus far. They all leaked between the tank and the bowl. All required disassembly, inspection, and reassembly using silicon sealant (should not be necessary). In addition to each toilet leaking, one also had a bad fill valve from the factory. Also, I noticed with my latest Eljer purchase, the toilet has been redesigned somewhat from the first two I installed. There is now a 6" riser tube in the tank. This is a poor design as now when you go to empty the tank you have 6" inches of stagnant water sitting at the bottom of the tank that you have to siphon or scoop out with a cup. The riser tube also means that the flush doesn't take full advantage of the water height (hydrostatic pressure) available in the tank. I'm not sure why one would engineer something this way, except to save money on reengineering a better solution.

In conclusion, "I do not recommend an Eljer toilet". Contractors, beware. Who has time to be troubleshooting a brand new toilet. If you have access, go with an "American Standard" as I had no problems with these when I installed them in my previous house. They flush smoother and more efficiently than the Eljer and are a better designed and crafted product than the Eljer brand.
on May 8, 2012
Purchased 2 with standard round bowl. Had them installed by a "professional plumber." Both leaked as stated in other review. After much tightening of the bowl to the base, the leak finally stopped. We also installed a Kohler elongated bowl with no problem.
on July 29, 2014
NO leaks here, but you CANNOT mount seat in centered position because the seat bolt holes are off. Because it sits to the left of center so bottom nubs slip over edge, w/ weight on it, it tends to torque on hinges that break every few months. P.O.S.!

DO NOT BUY!
on June 29, 2014
I have installed 3 of these in my place. Love the size, look, etc.
After about 6 months, one started to leak at the toilet bolt. Small leak, getting bigger.
Took tank off, cleaned all, reassembled. Leak persists.
Have read other reviews, similar problems elsewhere.

UPDATE! Called Eljer. They sent new washers, FAST!, no questions. No leaks for many months now. Heavy use. Excellent CS!
on April 24, 2016
The eljer toilets we had installed in our brand new home were nothing but trouble right from the start. After calling the contractor about our toilets not working and constantly plugging up the plumbers worked on our 2 eljer toilets repeatedly over the 1 year warranty time. They refused to replace the toilets finally saying the only way to make them work was to buy a "special brand of toilet paper sold only at costco". Long story short if there was liquid waste in the bowl you usually flushed twice to clean it out. If there was solid waste you cleared you schedule for the next hour and plunged repeatedly forcing the waste down the drain. Then flushed repeatedly to clean out the bowl.

I wish I could give eljer a lower rating than 1 star but that is the lowest amazon permits.
on October 29, 2015
Poor quality control and customer service. This is an American Standard product so you would think they would stand behind their product but they don't. I've bought 8 of these toilets over the last few years and had trouble with two of them but customer service would do nothing for me. If you are looking for a reliable, dependable, and strong flushing toilet stay away from American Standard/Eljer and look into the Toto toilets very reliable and great flushing design. I will be using Toto's from here on out.
review image
on November 14, 2015
Piece of junk from Menards. I bought four of them and I'm going to return them all. The install went fine, except when tightening the tank to bowl nuts it specified "china to china contact" - to get that, I'd have to break the china. It will not tighten enough to accommodate that contact. Secondly, the water level in the bowl is far too low for good cleaning. It takes at least two flushes to get the material out - so that invalidates the "water saving" technology. The pedestal upon which the flapper sits is too tall and it won't allow the bowl to fill to a good level. I replaced the valve with a Korky MaxPerformance valve (great valve) and it made no difference. This toilet is a piece of crap. Don't buy it.