4.0 out of 5 stars Great Southern Women
Published on May 18, 2005 by Melanie Eddolls

1.0 out of 5 stars She was not like the magazine story
There was so much profanity in her book I sent it back with a complaint. Was a big disappointment as she had a story in a magazine that was so lovely. Why anyone stoops to profanity and vulgar language when they can very well write without it, I will never know.

Sorry, but this is my own opinion
Published 18 months ago by Carol Pritchett

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Southern Women, May 18, 2005
The characters in her fiction are rich, complex, redeemed and willful. Nora is brave as she faces her pregnancy alone and gives birth to twins virtually on her own, Miss Crystal is a loveable and willful alcoholic who is much more than her behavior illustrates, Freddy is a hopeless and loyal romantic, and Traceleen is my personal favorite with narrations that are vivid and heart-warming. These southern ladies are innovative, eccentric, in pursuit of love and on the rebound from past loves. They are survivors and embody all that makes the South such an interesting place to live. In the vein of Eudora Welty, Gilchrist is a fresh and inspiring voice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long-Time Favorite - The Best of her All Good Stories!, April 27, 2014
Ms. Gilchrist first told me about some of my own childhood experiences, then shared my memories of "uptown" New Orleans.

Also, she became the "writer" I once hoped to be. She said it all for me!

She writes of the lives of all of us, the things we expect, and what happens instead. Love is a reality, disappointment and something to be cherished in all of her stories and books.

This new collection is a wonderful introduction to the families and individuals we get to know in her books. Start reading now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Giddy Over Gilchrist, March 21, 2014
Characters so alive and true you feel like you're right there on the pages with them. To be read again and again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good., February 10, 2013
The author is believable and the stories both funny and sad.

Would like to read more of her works, soon.

1.0 out of 5 stars She was not like the magazine story, December 24, 2012

Sorry, but this is my own opinion

Ellen Gilchrist: Collected Stories
Ellen Gilchrist: Collected Stories by Ellen Gilchrist (Hardcover - Dec. 2000)
$38.00