Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

As a mystery/thriller fan, it was a great treat to see Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine offered on the Kindle. My Kindle edition of the initial issue offered included 9 short stories, including a great Lawrence Block "Keller" story and a new English translation of a wonderful Japanese mystery set in the world of the Japanese police. There was also a short review column on mystery blogs and a meaty, interesting book review column. The issue was rounded out by a nice reproduction of the print edition's cover, two cute poems (crime-oriented, of course), and announcement of the magazine's 2007 Reader Awards.

At the end of each story, one is given the option to jump back to the table of contents to select another story, but I chose to just sail right through and read the whole edition "cover to cover". That's something I never did with the print edition for some reason. I guess just seeing one nicely presented page at a time on the Kindle versus seeing one big intimidating digest all at once makes all the difference for us readers who battle an occasional lazy streak.

I'll likely check out one or two other Dell magazines offered on the Kindle. It was a nice diversion from the regular reading of my Kindle novel and news blogs to enjoy a piece of short fiction every day or so (I made this first issue last about two weeks). But, whatever other Dell titles I end up trying out, Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine is likely to be the one ongoing, regular visitor to my Kindle each month.

Note: Amazon frequently updates the presentation the functionality of Kindle blogs and periodicals, so as this review gets older, it may no longer accurately describe the current version of this product.
on January 27, 2009
Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine is a tip-top magazine (assuming, of course, that you like mysteries). Short stories from the industry's brightest talents as well as helpful reviews. However, much as I like Kindle editions, one of the things that I like most about them is that they're usually significantly less expensive than printed editions. For some reason, the Kindle edition of the Ellery Queen Mystery magazine is priced higher than the print edition, which has full color glossy cover art and interesting advertisements that are not reproduced in the Kindle edition.
88 comments| 127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 12, 2008
I was very excited to find out that Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine is now available for the Kindle. I love the magazine, but often I find that I get behind on reading it. My dogs ate my last one. Literally. I've been looking for more content for the Kindle, because it is so handy to carry with me in the car.
on October 9, 2012
I have subscribed to EQMM Kindle Edition for almost 2 years. Enjoyed it very much. Suddenly it's in a new format -- the print is so small that I can't read it, even with my reading glasses! The Kindle feature that allows one to select font sizes is disabled in this new format. I guess I'll cancel my subscription.
on September 18, 2008
I had never heard of this magazine before so I must give praise to Amazon's Kindle for bringing this magazine to my attention. If you love mysteries you will enjoy your subscription to this magazine.

The only issue I have is the fact that I can purchase the magazine for $.50US less a month ($6.00US annually) which I could spend on another book for my Kindle. If it weren't for the price difference on the kindle version, I would say this was a 5 star purchase.
on June 24, 2012
I read both Ellery Queen and Alfred Hitchcock magazines, and I greatly prefer the former. Consistently strong entries from Clark Howard, Doug Allyn, and other short story powerhouses really make this magazine a pleasure. I travel for business, and short stories are a perfect entertainment - well-written enough to really hold my interest, but short enough to complete during the shorter periods of time I have available for reading. And, I particularly love that this publication is now available for the Kindle. Fantastic.
on May 2, 2014
I may not be proud of all the habits I picked up half a century ago, or longer, but decade by decade I enjoy my Ellery Queen habit. I started when my work caused me to spend a lot of time on trains and planes. EQ was pleasant to read and easy to carry. Now that it has expanded from print to Kindle it is still pleasant and easy.
on March 23, 2012
I read Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine and found myself diving into a smorgasbord of dark and delicious literary bites. Like any lover of story recipes, I preferred some flavours to others but there was a lot to please everybody. My tastebuds were enticed by the strange and exotic as well as everyday items that exploded suddenly in the strangest ways. These tales have a kick to them and you don't put them down until you reach the last page. PAULINE A. HARRIS
on December 30, 2014
I'm a newer reader of Short Story pieces. I was told that Ellery Queen was a mandatory read, and I'm thankful I purchased this collection. Powerful prose and great plots add to terrific writing. A great purchase!
on September 9, 2009
My only complaint in the past concerning EQMM was its lack of a decent index and the inability to "toggle" from one story to the next. With this month's issue, those complaints have been resolved. It is now as user-friendly as my other newspapers and magazines. With regard to all the complaints concerning price, do you seriously think that $ 2.99 per month is unreasonable? You'll spend that much in gas driving to and from your local bookstore to "save" the fifty cents on the cover price.