4.0 out of 5 stars Surprised and Pleased!
Published on April 11, 2012 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but lightness is a plus
I bought this with the intention of getting a good cardio workout versus joining a gym. I have winter rye so I mowed with this from July through March, every week in S.E. Texas.
The bad first;
Published 19 months ago by H.W.N.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but lightness is a plus, March 20, 2013
This review is from: Ellison 18 In. Evolution Easy-Push Reel Lawn Mower with Adjustable Grass Management System
The bad first;
1. This thing is built cheap. The grass deflector has one small tip that is broken, meaning it forces the grass straight down, missing the grass catcher. Fixed with a screw to permanently mount in the full up position.
2. The wheels have a clutch feature so you can roll it backwards while it freewheels from your last forward movement. However, the two metal clutch pieces wear into the cheap plastic gear on the inside of the wheel. The mower will gradually grind louder and the blades will not move fast enough to cut the grass. Fixed with a screw in each wheel hole where the metal piece goes (discard metal piece). This screw MUST be slightly longer than the metal pieces to be discarded, an exact size from your local hardware store. Some disassembly required, with the help of snap ring pliers. You lose the freewheel option, but it has not broken since. It now blows through pine cones, sweet gum balls, small sticks, etc and does half decent at picking up White Oak and Tallow leaves.

The good:
1. It will cause you to lose weight and gives a great workout.
2. No gas.
3. Fixed one nick on a blade with a file.
4. No cloud of dust while mowing
5. Don't have to rinse with the hose outside before going in to take a shower.
6. No muddy snot or dustmask required.
7. Grass catcher decent.
8. Lawn looks way better.
9. Wet grass cutting ok.
10.Super low maintenance.

I have a mutt of a lawn, basically mowing whatever comes up. In the fall, I planted winter rye and it grew all winter long. It is now giving way to the East Texas crap that is coming up and this mower is blowing through it fine. You will have to do a latitude/longitude cut with this style of mower, especially where St. Augustine grows. You will have to start on a high setting to lop off weed tops before cutting to desired length. If I keep up with mowing once a week, I can cut 1.25 acres in 3 hours latitude and longitude (2 passes) as well as lopping off the heads of weeds.

I like the design and the weight. 2 small wheels in the back make mowing consistent and less cumbersome. I remove the handle in 15 seconds and store mower portion in plastic bin. Husqvarna makes this exact model. I mowed my neighbors, an all St. Augustine lawn and thought I'd die. After two more weeks of mowing, the lawn seemed to "condition" itself to the cut this thing gives and mowing got easier. It looks a little scraggly the first time you use it, but not at all out of hand and it gets more uniform with each cut. I know that sounds weird but I experienced it and that's that. Only 3 stars due to required modifications to keep it working.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprised and Pleased!, April 11, 2012
I'm not mechanically inclined, but had this unpacked and mowing in under 5 minutes, only looking at the instruction sheet once to find out which direction the handle pins should be inserted. No tools, extremely user friendly... excellent since I was sooo excited to get this going! I was impressed by the ease of pushing and cutting performance of our bumpy, weedy yard when cutting at a mid-low height. In areas that were very thickly overgrown, where I could not cut through even with a little running start, I found it very easy to turn the height up and trim shorter on the second pass. It was amazing how easily it pushed just raising cutting height one notch. As a side note, I'm only 100 lbs and totally not in shape, with pretty weak wrists, but found this very comfortable to handle... much more so than our gas mowers were.

I was NOT impressed by the way the clippings catcher dumps much of the stuff out while walking because right out of the box it's netting sort of lifts up on the back end, tilting the bottom toward the opening which has no barrier to stop things sliding out. A rock or weight in the back end should fix this, or I may create a small barrier at front edge.

During the first run, I didn't make ANY effort to clean up the debris in the yard. For the most part, that turned out okay, BUT... I ran over a steel outlet cover that had fallen from the shed into the grass unseen, and made three large nicks in the blade and reel. With the loud clunk, the reel would not turn anymore. I would have dumbly adjusted the reel further from the blade, making matters worse... and probably giving up on the thing, pleasant as it was to use... but hubby knew better and handled it by smoothing the burrs created at the chinks which got the reel freely spinning again. I will most likely tidy up the yard a bit when I mow in the future, getting rocks and branches and such taken care of so not to further damage the mower and impede progress... I was simply foolish in my excitement.

Loved how the reel was so speedy with the slightest movement forward, making it cut as close to obstacles as the wheels or front shield would allow. Don't love the plastic wheels, but had no trouble with traction whatsoever.

Overall impression is that it's definitely a keeper, husband very satisfied too... glad to be done with gas powered mowing and the headaches involved. Neighbors seem so interested, we may find ourselves having started a trend!

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece of junk and don't bother with manufacturer, September 10, 2012
Test pushing this without cutting any grass looks promising. Pushing it on actual grass was a huge disappointment. The gears that they are putting in this thing has to be cheap because I didn't get that far with it and it gets stripped. Tried calling the manufacturer, leaving my name and phone, been a month and no return call. Don't bother with this brand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice mower, April 15, 2012
Have used this mower 3 times in the last week. Not because it doesn't do the job but because it is so enjoyable. Have a little boy that can walk right next to me with his Fisher Price bubble mower (they look rather similar to one another, many have commented)and no worries of someone losing an eye from a flying projectile. Any way, the important part. I live in the Midwest, I have a small yard, full of holes,divets, weeds and this mower cuts through it all with no problem, minus the very tall dandelions, will only pop their heads off, will not cut the stalk as they just bend over. Easy to push decent cutting path as leaves about 2-3 inches that require trim work to be done. Grass catcher is very nice, stays attached well and decent capacity, handle design is extremely comfortable. You could get a much cheaper reel mower, but it won't compare. Save yourself the frustration spend a little extra and enjoy this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cutting deteriorates quickly!, November 5, 2013
I have had this mower for about 8 months. It was easy to assemble and seemed to work well for a few months. Then, cutting became uneven so I had to mow twice to get a nice lawn. Then the gears seemed to be stripping--no torque or intermittent torque to the blades. Now, there is virtually nothing. It's junk.
I would never buy this mower if I had it to do over again. Never.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little helper!, November 2, 2013
I really do like this. It is basically for thinner grass and touch ups. I do have lawn service but I use this when something doesn't look good. I do not want gas cans in my utility room so this is really handy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worked Great, But Not For Long, November 10, 2012
We moved to Southern California and purchased a home with a little over a third of an acre lot. As I was looking about a lawn mower, I figured that between the house, pool, patio, and sidewalks there was not going to be much left to mow. I decided that I wanted to get away from using the gas and oil mowers, and with a very manageable yard, I began to look at electric and reel. I finally decided to get a reel mower, so it was time to pick one. After much research, I decided that the Ellison looked to be the best choice. I really liked the easy push idea, and also the adjustable shield in the back and grass catcher.

I was really excited when the mower came in. It took a few weeks for me to get my grass growing well enough to really get to use it (the previous owners did not like to pay for watering the yard and since it was June at the time it needed a little TLC). Once the grass started growing and coming in nicely, I went to mowing. The mower worked great! I mean it was awesome. No gas to fill up. No loud motor to listen to. No long electrical chords, or batteries to charge. Mowing was fun! The yard looked nice and the mowing time was very fast. Usually, 30 minutes and everything was done. I would mow twice a week, and the yard would always look nice. I even used the bagger a couple of times just for fun, and it worked good too.

Then around late August, I started noticing that there was alot of grass getting missed. So, I started to mow each row one way and then back the other way. About this same time I also noticed a clicking like sound beginning. I continued a twice a week mowing schedule, and each time I would notice the appearance of the yard looking worse and worse after mowing, and the clicking getting louder. Along with this came a jerking of the mower. It was no longer smooth and quiet.

It is now early November, and I just came in from my second mowing this week. The mower is becoming quite embarrassing. The clicking and jerking is now very loud and noticeable. Even after twice a week mowing and mowing each row twice, the yard still does not look that great. Blades of grass get missed, and the lines are not that straight any more due to the jerking. I emailed Ellison customer service about a month ago, but have gotten no response. It is very sad. I really loved this mower for the first couple of months, but it has become a burden to deal with. I will be looking for another mower very soon.

I believe the problem with the mower to possibly be some cheap plastic gears that they use to transfer the power from the wheels to the blades.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does its job, June 25, 2012
I have a small enclosed patio / yard with approx 400 square feet of lawn. I used to cut it with a large gas mower I also use on the big lawns out back. I wanted a very fine lower cut then that machine would give me in this yard. This Ellison does the job. Very nice crisp cut.

I would advise anybody who wants to do what I did to start with high settings and take the grass down in height by maybe 1/2 inch a week. The machine can be balky if you try to feed it too thick a cut and if you have long grass now, your lawn may be too thick to cut well at the final height you are looking for. Over the course of 5 or 6 weeks you will get new more tender grass leaves and your lawn will start looking darn good provided that you do all the other things necessary. Thatching / feeding / proper watering etc.

This is a nice little mower and now that I have worked the grass down to the 1 inch setting its a 10 minute job to mow once a week.

This mower did not receive 5 stars because the grass catcher although acceptable, could use to hold a little more grass and do a better job of containing the clippings.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent mower for small yards; sketchy quality control, August 16, 2012
scifi-o-phile (Schaumburg, IL United States) - See all my reviews
BOTTOM LINE: Great mower for small yards that's easy to use and won't kill your hearing, budget or tall weeds.

THE GOOD
* Quick and easy to put together
* Great range of height adjustments compared to other reel mowers
* Extremely easy to change the mower height
* Not too heavy, not too light for pushing around the yard
* Comfortable (and adjustable) handle
* QUIET. QUIET. QUIET. It's fun to mow the lawn and actually hear the birds, the crickets and the children playing
* Doesn't take up much room in the garage
* Perfect for small yards

THE BAD
* Like many people have said, tall weeds or thing grass may not get cut on the first or second pass
* While it's 18-inches wide, it's still pretty narrow
* The narrow size makes it easier to push and direct, but it still can't get right up next to things -- 100% guarantee you'll need a weed whacker when you get done
* It's a reel mower, so you're not going to cut much when you pivot tightly (the blades will slow down)
* Grass catcher looks more like a joke than a functional piece
* Not for bigger yards unless you really, really like to mow grass

THE UGLY
* One of the rear wheels fell off on the second use. It didn't look like the lock washers had been put on properly. Very simple to fix in the garage, but come on! It loses a star because of this. It's been working perfectly since then.

VERDICT: BUY IT
Prepare to change your mindset of what mowing is like. Sure, gas-powered or electric-powered mowers may cut quicker and more uniformly, but human-powered mowers like this one are a joy to use, take up little space and require little maintenance.

UPDATED JULY 2013
I've been using this mower for the last year and it's been OK. For a few weeks the yard was looking pathetic after mowing it, with lots of grass seeming to get missed by the blades. A 30-second adjustment to the spring-loaded screws under the mower fixed the issue -- the cutting bar was out of alignment ever so slightly. Now it's cutting well again. The right wheel sometimes skids and disengages the blade and I haven't been able to figure out why. Overall, though, it's a great mower if you have young children, as I can mow the yard even if they are playing nearby.

3.0 out of 5 stars Where is this mower? Has it been discontinued?, March 10, 2014
Giving this a 3 star since I haven't had the chance to use it for myself (because I can't find it anywhere) but the product has excellent reviews for the most part...Can anyone tell me where to find this mower other than Home Depot or Amazon? I have looked EVERYWHERE. Not at Sears or Ebay or Lowes. Can't buy directly from the manufacturer, and it is "Not in Stock" at Amazon and HD so I have it saved in my wish lists. It looks like most of the reviews are from awhile back which makes me wonder if they still make it? I emailed HD yesterday inquiring about future availability, no response yet. I need a mower soon, tired of borrowing from the neighbor and I'm sure he is too. I really had my heart set on this one after reading the reviews and seeing video clips of this puppy in action, only to proceed to order and find that nobody has it!!!