Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Format: PaperbackChange

Freeing the dragon in the first book (My Father's Dragon) was only half the journey. Elmer now needs to get back home. The dragon is so thankful he offers the boy a ride. But when a storm blows them off course, they find themselves on an island with canaries that are dieing of curiosity. Can they help the birds and still get Elmer home in time for his father's birthday?
This book is a fun sequel to the original. It doesn't quite hold up to the nonsensical fun of the first one, but is still a great read. Early readers will enjoy being able to get through the short chapters themselves and should enjoy the plot and characters.
This series is the perfect series to use to introduce kids to reading. They'll be able to handle the story and characters well and enjoy the journey to another world. Pick them up today and start them on the road to exploring other worlds through books.
You probably never heard of "Elmer and the Dragon" and yet the story is a classic that belongs in every child's library. What fun it was reading aloud! There are three books to the series that are connected but stand alone. See also "My Father's Dragon" and "The Dragons of Blueland" for a set that makes a perfect gift for young readers.
on December 20, 2003
I am reading this in my first grade class. I can't wait to get to the next book. People in this story are so curious. Once you start it, you want to get to the end and find out what happens.
on December 9, 2002
I remember hearing these stories as a child and loving them, now my son is loving them too. I would recommend these to kids ready to listen to simple chapter books. The stories are cleverly written so adults can enjoy the reading too. We like to read this series aloud to the kids, and if you read one they will want you to read all of them! Some nice illustrations accompany the stories.
on May 8, 2002
Elmer And The Dragon by Ruth Stills Gannet
Have you ever ridden on a dragon? This book is about Elmer and the dragon. After Elmer rescued the dragon from Wild Island the dragon was going to fly Elmer home. But a storm hit and blew Elmer and the Dragon off course. They landed on a sandbar a couple yards from an island. The next morning Elmer and the Dragon went to the island. When they got to the island the Dragon said ," I'm stiff." Will Elmer and the Dragon get off the island?
I liked the part when the Dragon ate some tangerine peels and said they were delicious. It was kind of funny because tangerine peels would be gross to eat!
I think the author was trying to show people perseverance. Elmer and the Dragon were trying to go home when the storm hit. Even though they ended up on a sandbar, they still kept trying to get home.
on May 8, 2002
Elmer And The Dragon by Ruth Stills Gannet
on March 29, 2000
this is a simply wonderful story that young and old will enjoy over and over again (along with the other two books in the collection, My Father's Dragon (book one) and the Dragons of Blueland (book three)
on August 1, 2009
The "My Father's Dragon" books are good fun, but quirky. The author has given "my father" a name (Elmer). Most of the action in this sequel occurs on "Feather Island," which can drag on in places. The book is a little misnamed, because it's really about Elmer and the dragon's trip to Feather Island and what they do there. Some of the authorial quirks--like a tangerine-only diet, with the exact number of tangerines counted out--have gotten a little old. Our little boy was squirming a lot more in this one than in the first. But we read it to the end, and the end is very satisfying. Not at all a bad book. I'd like to give it 3.5 stars.

Note, having started book #3 in the series (The Dragons of Blueland), I note that it is possible to skip #2 without really missing a beat. You may or may not want to, but there's actually a nice plot continuity, since the beginning of #3 has the dragon flying away from Elmer's home.
on October 12, 2008
The second book is even better than the first one!!!! We are having SO much fun with this one!
Now that the dragon is an active part of the story, the story has REALLY come alive for us! He's a "baby dragon" so when I read his parts, I read with a baby voice. My boys get the biggest kick out of this! (I do too!)
There's a helpful and neat double-page map on the inside of this book too!
I highly recommend this series. We havent read the third one yet, but we will start it any day now.
OH! And dont forget the tangerines again!!! And you may also have alot of fun if you have a harmonica nearby when you get to chapter 8!!!!
on May 22, 2008
This is an excellent children's story that has truly withstood the test of time. It's as fresh today as it was when it was first published. The whole trilogy is great as a read-aloud or for an older child to read him/herself. We had a birthday party with the trilogy as the theme. All the kids read the first book and went on to read the whole series. I highly recommend this series.