Reading some reviews here, I see that some people make the mistake of assuming that any glue or cement should suit all purposes. In fact, most glues are best suited for specific purposes; that is why there are so many different kinds.

Published on July 1, 2012 by Mark Colan

3.0 out of 5 stars Rubber Cement
I thought it would have a bit stronger holding capability than it does; however, it is easy to remove. I used this as a result of a recommedation not to use anything but rubber cement as a temporary measure.
Published 18 months ago by Captain Jack Sparrow

5.0 out of 5 stars Special-purpose cement excels for some purposes, unsuitable for others, July 1, 2012
This review is from: Elmer's No-Wrinkle Rubber Cement, 8 Ounces, Clear (231) (Office Product)

Rubber cement is unique in a few ways. It is not water based; that is evident as soon as you open the jar. It smells of an organic solvent. You don't want to breathe in a lot of that. Best to use it in a ventilated area.

In the name of the product is what it excels at: "no wrinkle". The solvent in it causes the cement to reduce in volume as it dries, that is, it shrinks, so it makes a snug fit.

It is especially well suited to gluing fairly flexible things - like paper or foil - to many other things, like paper, foil, plastic, wood, metal, etc. The solvent could be reactive to some things, making it unsuitable for some materials. Items glued down with rubber cement can often be peeled away even after the glue has dried; the glue can usually be rubbed off. On some porous substances (some kinds of paper) the glue could soak in and change the color.

It may also be suited for fixing items together in a temporary fashion, in which case the glue can often be rubbed off. But when attached to rigid materials and especially when protected (e.g. covered with a laminate) it is reasonably permanent.

Because it is not water soluble, it might be handy for joining things that need to stay stuck while immersed in water.

It is used a lot by all kinds of crafts. I like to print templates or labels designed on the computer, then trim them with scissors or a paper cutter, then use rubber cement to attach it to metal, plastic, or wood. Then I take it down to the shop and use the printed guides to cut or drill. I can also overlay the result with clear laminate to have a permanent, protected and professional-looking panel, for example in electronics projects.

Rubber cement is not especially well suited to joining hard things to other hard things - materials like plastic, wood, metal, and so on - except for temporary purposes, in which case it can be very handy if you need to separate them later and remove the glue. For example, to cut sheet aluminum, I may glue plywood to both sides with rubber cement for more rigidity, cut it, then remove the plywood.

Last, chemical interactions with old-style (pre-digital) photographs could potentially fade the photographic image with time; this may apply to other kinds of printed material with time as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't dry totally clear, but the best thing I got, April 19, 2012
I'm so glad I discovered this product by accident when I was beginning to make my first scrapbook. Rubber cement makes paper crafts nearly painless! You just apply the cement on both items you want to paste together (as fast as you can before they dry up) and stick the items to each other. This adhesive product holds well, but if you really made a mistake and wanted to separate what you pasted, it is possible to do that without ripping the pieces. Typically, I stick two papers to each other with rubber cement, but I have also stuck other lightweight objects to paper successfully with this product.

The best part is that it doesn't leave the kind of mess traditional glue does. Once the rubber cement has dried, you just rub off the residue left on the sides, and you're done. The only issue I had with this product is that the bottle claims it "dries clear", yet when you look really closely on your paper, any place where there was rubber cement is now a different color tone than the rest of the paper. It's a really subtle stain, but I could notice it. If you want a perfect project that doesn't have those light stains, avoid applying rubber cement anywhere other than between the two items being pasted together.
Oh, and it's probably very obvious, but make sure to work with this in a well-ventilated environment. The fumes this releases is not good for your health.

5.0 out of 5 stars Try it, you'll like it!, November 8, 2010
I love this stuff and have been using it for paper crafting jobs for many many years for myself, and with the kids. Sometimes it's very hard to find, and when I can't find it, I'm lost without it. Thanks Amazon, for stocking it.
I think people don't know how good it is, and don't ask for it. Or are discouraged by the name rubber "cement". But it so safe and easy to use, it works on what you want pasted, and any excess applicaton will rub right off where it's not wanted, without any residue or stain. The Product description is absolutely true -- believe it. Do try this glue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, Larger than Typical Size, April 8, 2013
I've always used Elmer's rubber cement, so the product is just what I expected. This size (8 ounces) is a larger bottle than I thought. I would guess 4 ounces is a typical size bottle, but the price is great so I got twice what I expected. Just in case anyone else is out there like me, having no idea what 8 ounces of rubber cement looks like, just a heads up that 8 ounces is a larger size than you'd usually think of.

5.0 out of 5 stars classic rubber cement, perfect for paper crafting, May 4, 2013
I do a lot of mixed media art and I have experimented with a LOT of different glues and adhesives and I keep returning to good ol' rubber cement. It's pretty much the only thing I have found that doesn't crinkle or warp paper- you can use as much (or as little) as you need without worrying that it's going to soak through. It's also removable and easy to clean up- simply rub your finger over it and it rolls off the surface of the paper.

The downside is the weird odor (but Elmer's is NOT nearly as bad as some brands I have used!) and the fact it really can't be dispensed a tube because it dries out more or less instantly. But there's a certain satisfaction to using the built in brush to smear rubber cement all over a piece of paper, I must admit.

This is essential for any crafter or creative persons arsenal. Skip the fancy modern glues and stick with what works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scrapbook, Card making, genealogy, photo display, office presentations, +++, October 21, 2013
Harold Wolf "Doc" (Wells, IN United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
An excellent glue for crafting and sticking all types of things, especially paper to paper. Not for kids, as it is a fire hazard if used improperly. It is a lasting glue that leaves paper wrinkle free, and it is acid free for photo and important document use. Items can be removed and moved but it must be done with great care.

I do vast amounts of genealogy and past photos, news items, and such, onto record pages. My wife uses this as a hobby glue for many things such as scrapbooking and greeting card making. Excellent choice for both. A fantastic feature not available with almost any other glue is the fact that if it squishes out the side of a glued item, once it is dry it will rub off with no sign of residue. Crafting includes gluing ribbon, cloth, plastics, buttons, feathers, leather, almost anything.
Very useful for business display pieces needing glue.
But since it is not water base, test it first on any surface material you are unfamiliar with.

Items can be glued by applying to one surface and make contact while wet, application to both surfaces and attach immediately, or both surfaces, allow to dry, then put into place, but be sure of location prior to touching. It will not move easily once the first touch takes place.

Caution: it is highly flammable, so do now use around flame, spark, while smoking, etc.

Most economical of this Elmer's brand, even better than a larger quantity. The 8oz jar can qualify for free shipping if the order is above the minimum.
I've tried other brands, and always come back to Elmer's for rubber cement and white glue.
White glue is not wrinkle free.

5.0 out of 5 stars For mounting pictures I can't think of anything better for the price, April 9, 2014
William I. Dube "Bill Dube" (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Every year I take all the kids pictures and dry mount them into a 16" x 20" collage and frame them. The kids like it and I think it is a fun way to have your family albums out there to see.
Using rubber cement is easy once you understand how to use contact cement.
If you remember to apply a thin layer to both the picture and where you want to cement it, let it dry and then stick together you will be fine.
Also I am sure you can find a video on YouTube that details how to use rubber cement.
Okay why not give you one... Watched this one... Not to bad.
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Seeing is believing, October 15, 2011
GG (San Carlos, CA United States) - See all my reviews
My daughter, a product of an all-digital world where cutting and pasting (and then re-positioning the item) is simple, couldn't believe that rubber cement was all that I promised it to be. But then she tried it for a family heritage scrapbook assignment and is completely sold on how cool it is to be able to use this glue (and, of course, roll up the excess into little rubbery balls...)

This Elmer's version worked as well as any other brand I used to use "back in the day", so I am glad that it is still available for the new generation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great glue for paper or cloth., November 23, 2014
Great glue for paper or cloth - if you use it correctly. On paper, a thin coating of the glue on one side of the paper is usually enough to hold it tightly. If glueing cardboard, book bindings or heavier material, coat both sides to be glued, then let it dry completely. When dry, press the glued pieces into perfect alignment and there they will stay. I often used this method when repairing books, usually old books, whose binding have been torn or have come unglued.
I like rubber cement because if you have excess, it will rub off when dry.
If used on light cloth, coat the cloth so the glue melds into the fibers of the cloth. Coat both sides, let dry, then stick together. Compress until throughly dried.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a standard... what can you say? An Icon with a durable reputation, December 17, 2013
Elmers Rubber Cement is an Icon. It has been around for decades because it works. I use it as a frisket in my paintings to remove and reveal lower layers of paint. I do an under painting of the whole canvas then I just put Elmer's in an area of the canvas, let it dry and paint layers of color on the canvas again. Then I use a "rubber cement pick up" which is specially designed to remove rubber cement and remove the area blocked out. Magic!!! There is the shape designed with the Elmer's. A blob is good but I also like tendrals that make fine lines in a work. Experiment, be creative. Even kids can do it with adult guidance. A good tool for any air brush or traditional acrylic or water colors.