4.0 out of 5 stars Elmo Saves Christmas - Eventually!
Published on November 30, 2000 by Tammy Perkins

2.0 out of 5 stars Xmas every day? Does this movie ever end?
Published on November 4, 2000 by hbullz

4.0 out of 5 stars Elmo Saves Christmas - Eventually!, November 30, 2000
Tammy Perkins (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
Wouldn't it be great to have Christmas everyday? That's what Elmo thought, when he used the one of his three magic wishes, granted by Santa Claus after Elmo helped him get unstuck from the chimney. When Santa realizes what Elmo has done, he and Lightning, a cute little reindeer, take Elmo through time to show him what life would be like if it were Christmas everyday.
They travel in the future, where the Count counts 193 days of Christmas on Sesame Street. Elmo sees that Big Bird is missing Snuffy, who went to visit his Granny in Cincinnati. Big Bird is sad, because he can't see Snuffy or mail him a letter (because there is no mail on Christmas). The children are also not learning because there isn't school. Then Elmo visits Maria, who is unhappy about buying presents everyday and not working. Then Elmo realizes that maybe it shouldn't be Christmas everyday.
The video soundtrack is really catchy! The songs include: It's Christmas Again, Every Day Can't Be Christmas, Give Your Friend An Easter Egg For Christmas, All I Want For Christmas Is You, Keep Christmas With You All Through The Year.
Celebrity Appearances include Maya Angelou (as the narrator), Charles Durning (who is an excellent Santa), and Harvey Fierstein (as the Easter Bunny).
One thing that I disliked about this tape is that it is a bit long (most Sesame Street videos are 30 minute tapes, and this is an hour), so I think some of the video could have been edited out. (I usually fast forward through the part with the Easter Bunny, because my one year old daughter gets a little restless during this part). However, I think that this is a great video for the holidays. My one-year-old loves it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Elmo Saves Christmas, January 13, 2000
I have a major Elmo fan in my home. My child is only 15 months old but loves the music and Sesame Street sights and sounds. In this video many of the songs repeat throughout the storyline, my child is able to make a connection and stay focused for the duration of the story. Since I have to watch this many, many times, I have to admit it is well written, fun, and a joy to watch. Plus they included one of my favorite writers and storytellers Maya Angelou...Hooray for Sesame Street!

4.0 out of 5 stars My boy loves it!, October 16, 1998
This review is from: Elmo Saves Christmas (DVD)
I have a two-year old that just loves this movie, and if your child is in the same age range, they will too.
Nothing fancy here, just a good story for kids to enjoy. END

2.0 out of 5 stars Xmas every day? Does this movie ever end?, November 4, 2000
hbullz "hbullz" (Stafford, TX USA) - See all my reviews
Although some of the classic Sesame Street sytle is here, this is way too long leaving the viewer wondering if this tedious story will ever end..and a grumpy Santa to boot! What my kids remember most? That Elmo shatters his snowglobe(no I'm not giving away the story.) Now, every single snowglobe that has entered our home in 3 years gets the "wish,wish'wish" and thrown on the pavement treatment. We just got Tim Allen's Santa Clause. Pick that over this! The magic is real and the plot keeps moving at a wonderful pace. Humor far excels Sesame Street's also. If you liked Elmo in Grouchland, you'll probably like Elmo Saves Christmas. We didn't like either.

3.0 out of 5 stars too long and not up to par, August 5, 2000
By A Customer
The one thing our kids remember from this was that Elmo broke his snowglobe. And now every single one we're given gets smashed with them saying "Wish Wish Wish ". Cute storyline turns tedious as Elmo and Lightning(the reindeer) travel through time to see Christmas every day. And Santa quits! If you like Elmo, get "Cinderelmo"(Cinderella story). Want a Holiday video, then get Disney Sing-alongs, "Prancer"(not a cartoon, but a wonderful magical story of a hurt reindeer) or "The Snowman"(from the book of same name.) This is "Elmo in Grouchland"-type poor quality Sesame Street.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonerful fun for us and our two year-old daughter, February 7, 2000
This review is from: Elmo Saves Christmas (DVD)
Well, it's February now and "Elmo Saves Christmas" is still delighting our two year-old. She requests it often, saying, "Elmo Miss-mas" and we gladly comply since it's great fun for adults, too. The story holds up any time of year and the writing is up to the standard of the best Sesame Street creations--funny, smart, joyful, and sweet. The Muppets get great support from Charles Durning, Maya Angelou and others and the whole special has the feel of a genuine children's classic.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good piece of holiday entertainment., May 6, 1998
This, the second Sesame Street Christmas special, is not as good as the first but is enjoyable. The storyline deals with Elmo wishing that Christmas was everyday! Well, somehow his wish gets granted and that's when the fun starts! Another first-rate effort from Sesame Street. END

1.0 out of 5 stars Skip this one, buy a different Elmo, December 28, 2002
Donna "Donna" (Uxbridge, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elmo Saves Christmas (DVD)
My two year old loves Elmo BUT this story is a dud. This is a joyless production with none of the zip, humor and heart found
in many other Sesame Street videos and DVD's. The songs are just not good - Charles Durning mumbles a boring little number and Harvey Fierstein's "musical" number seems as if it was written five minutes before taping. Their is just no quality to any of this. The rest of the characters on Sesame Street becomes depressed because every day is Christmas and they cannot get on with the lives. I'm afraid their feelings are contagious. Buy Elmo in Grouchland - lots of story, good songs, humor and very cute.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great Chrismas video!, February 17, 2002
My daughter is almost two and she wants to watch this video constantly. It's a very cute story about why Christmas should not be every day of the year, but the only reason I am giving it 4 stars is because of the Easter Bunny. Trust me, this guy makes me want to turn off the video completely. He gives me the creeps! If it were not for his part in the video, I would have to say that this is our favorite Christmas video and one of our favorite Sesame Street videos (along with Let's Make Music). Geared towards older children, this movie is still fun for younger viewers who love the red and fuzzy Elmo.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not all bad, December 31, 2001
Torysmom (Batavia, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elmo Saves Christmas (DVD)
My 2 yr old likes this video, mainly because she loves Elmo but also because she is infatuated with Santa and Christmas. The story does get a bit depressing, but that's sort of the point. The scenes with Big Bird make me want to turn it off, but it's pretty cute how the naive little Elmo thinks Christmas everyday is a great idea, then comes to the realization that it probably isn't. The storyline is really more suited toward an older child of perhaps 4 or 5. Also, while I truly enjoyed Charles Durning's Santa, I think a more "jolly" old St. Nick would've been more appropriate for the kids.

Elmo Saves Christmas
Elmo Saves Christmas by Emily Squires (DVD - 2010)
$9.95 $4.99