5.0 out of 5 stars I rawther love love love this book!
As we all know, Eloise is six and she lives at the Plaza Hotel with her Nanny who says things three times, her dog Weenie, her turtle Skipperdee and two dolls. When I was a child, I adored this book and wanted to be just like Eloise. She does whatever she wants and gets away with it.
Published on April 7, 2000 by J. Hauer

3.0 out of 5 stars Eloise-She's a wild girl!
Published on February 29, 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars I rawther love love love this book!, April 7, 2000
This review is from: Eloise: A Book for Precocious Grown Ups (Hardcover)
As an adult, I feel so sorry for Eloise because her mother only sends for her when it's sunny and otherwise isn't present. What a poor little girl to grow up so alone!
However, this is a tremendously humorous and beautifully illustrated classic that can always make me grin from ear to ear. I looooovve room service too! Oh, and charge it please. Thank you very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Childlike and Literary, June 12, 1999
C. Burch (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
A few weeks ago, I took a friend and her two 5 year old twin girls to dinner. There was a 45 minute wait, and we went to the bookstore next door. I was dreading the prospect of entertaining two 5 year olds for 45 minutes until I saw a copy of Eloise, which has been out of print for many years. I sat down and started reading to them. The time flew by. A few older women walked by and smiled. I like to think that they had read the book when they were little girls. The 45 minutes went by all too soon for me.
What can I say about Eloise? We named our DOG Eloise when I was a boy. It is both literary and true to children. It is one of the books (like Charlotte's Web or Black Beauty) that stays in your heart from childhood.
Give it to your children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some people just don't get it..., March 12, 2004
By A Customer
It is beyond me how anyone could have given this book any rating below 4 or 5 stars. Reading through some of the low rated comments I just can't help but feel that the people just didn't 'get' Eloise.
Eloise is a little girl living in a very adult world, and still she finds ways to be a child and to have a childhood.
No, she's not a role model for children, but I think they can understand that. My own children understood that they could never do the things that Eloise does, but they sure had fun thinking about what might happen if they did.
The last thing I want to say is that you have to remember these books were written in the late 1950s. After decades of politically correct, sickly sweet children's books it's easy to forget that there was a time when people wrote books for children that did not insult their intelligence.
Read Eloise... read Eloise in Paris... read all of them. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is about a tiny 6yr girl Eloise who lives in the plaza, October 30, 1999
This review is from: Eloise: A Book for Precocious Grown Ups (Hardcover)
This is a great book were a little girl name Eloise who lives with her Nanny on the top floor of the Plaza in New York. Eloise is a curious girl that always finds herself in trouble. Everyone in the Plaza knows Eloise if they want to or not! Eloise sometimes even goes off subject in the book like " My mother has a Nieman Marcus Charge Card!" If you are a little girl, pre-teen, teen or even an adult you will love this book! If you can get the ABOUSOLUTLY ESSENTIAL EDITION because this has a scrapbook in the end! If you live in New york it is very fun. As i used to ! I even read this to my 2 year old sister Natilie and my new twin sisters Audrey and Tiffany.Natty just cracks up! Well just enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll either love or hate this book...., August 17, 2005
This review is from: Eloise: A Book for Precocious Grown Ups (Hardcover)
This is a book that parents will either love or hate. I can certainly identify with the parents who gave this book 1 star. It is true that you'd be horrified if you had a child that acted like Eloise - she's naughty, rude, demanding and disrespectful. This book was written in 1955 and yes, one illustration shows the nanny smoking in front of Eloise. The text is written as a reflection of Eloise's internal dialogue, so no, it is not always grammatically correct. The text reminds me a little of Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good Very Bad Day. It is also true that the parents are nowhere to be seen in this book. Eloise has essentially been 'abandoned' by her parents and is cared for exclusively by the nanny. Her day is spent roaming around the Plaza Hotel.

Why the 5 stars then? Because this is a very funny book with extremely engaging 1950s style illustrations. Eloise endears herself to you despite her naughtiness. There are many things in this book that you could use to teach your child a moral lesson if you wished to. It is a VERY CLEVER book despite what to some might seem major drawbacks. I do agree with the other reviewers though that 4 - 8 years is a totally inappropriate age group. The dust cover of the book itself states for 7 years up which is far more on the mark. The book is more of an `early reader' for a 7 or 8 year old - it's not a bed-time story for a younger child. I can see how little girls would absolutely love it!

This is a book that you really want to borrow from the library before you buy it - what other reviewers have said is true in this case I think - don't rely on reviews - see the book for yourself.

3.0 out of 5 stars Eloise-She's a wild girl!, February 29, 2000
This review is from: Eloise: A Book for Precocious Grown Ups (Hardcover)
I am 8 years old. Eloise was an OK book. Some of the words or the wording were hard to understand. I read it myself, but I liked it better when it was read to me. Eloise is a bad girl that gets away with everything. I would like to be Eloise, because I could do whatever I wanted to do without getting in trouble. I would miss my mom. Poor Eloise doesn't see her mom much. I would not recommend this book to kids under 8.

5.0 out of 5 stars eloise is the best, August 9, 2004
A Kid's Review
as 1 reviewer said, some people just dont get eloise

she isnt meant to be a role model, shes the wildness inside you

she doesnt care what you think of her or how that makes her look socially she just is herself-in a way she is a role model, just to an extreme

she lives with her nanny who is under orders to let her do whatever she wants, within reason

Unfotunately, Nanny has NO reason, and no control

THESE ARE THE BEST BOOKS ALSO READ

ELOISE IN PARIS

ELOISE IN MOSCOW

ELOISE AT CHRISTMAS TIME

ELOISE TAKES A BAWTH

5.0 out of 5 stars Eloise's Original Story & Marie Brenner's 18 Page Scrapbook, December 13, 2000
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This edition of Eloise has more information about Eloise and her creators than what you saw in the original book. Marie Brenner has put together a scrapbook that tells a little about the origin of Eloise as a character, brief biographies of Kay Thompson (author) and Hilary Knight (illustrator), and some photographs from their youths.
If you want a keepsake about the original for you or as gift for an adult who knows the story, this book is probably better than Eloise for your purposes. If you want the best keepsake and money is no object, I recommend that you trade up into Eloise -- The Ultimate Edition, which has this material plus the three sequels (Eloise in Paris, Eloise at Christmastime, and Eloise in Moscow). If you want a reading copy for a young person, I suggest that simply buy Eloise.
Kay Thompson's path to writing Eloise was an unexpected one. After having been a successful song arranger, she started a career as a singer with Andy Williams and his three brothers as backups. Soon, she was earning top dollar in Las Vegas. Over the years, she developed a humorous routine for use in private when she wanted to get her way that included playing Eloise. People encouraged her to turn it into a book. One friend, D.D. Dixon, had a neighbor who was an artist, and introduced Ms. Thompson to Hilary Knight. The rest is history. Her wacky, wonderful story and his scintillating art made hash out of the competititon. The book sold wonderfully, and Eloise soon became an institution.
By the way, did you know that Ms. Thompson was living for free at The Plaza while performing in the Persian Room in 1955 when she dreamed up this story for Eloise?
Space does not permit me to also review the Eloise story here. You can see what I had to say about the story on the Eloise book page on Amazon.com.
After enjoying this wonderful book, I suggest that you think about what's good about being six . . . that you can continue to do when you are older by multiples of six. Who says we have to always be mature when we are older, or childish when we are young?
Enjoy your stay at The Plaza!

5.0 out of 5 stars Oooooooooooooooooooo I absolutely love Eloise, December 10, 2000
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Eloise: A Book for Precocious Grown Ups (Hardcover)
Eloise lives with her nanny, dog, and turtle in The Plaza Hotel in New York City. She knows that the modern six-year-old has to keep moving in order to get the full potential for fun each day from a busy hotel . . . especially when your mother knows The Owner. Between investigating, racing, and helping, she covers The Plaza from top to bottom. And if you visit the hotel, you'll see her picture just off the lobby on the 58th Street side.
Researchers constantly find that reading to children is valuable in a variety of ways, not least of which are instilling a love of reading and improved reading skills. With better parent-child bonding from reading, your child will also be more emotionally secure and able to relate better to others. Intellectual performance will expand as well. Spending time together watching television fails as a substitute.
To help other parents apply this advice, as a parent of four I consulted an expert, our youngest child, and asked her to share with me her favorite books that were read to her as a young child. Eloise was one of her picks.
Our daughter's mother and I often have meetings in The Plaza, and sometimes stay overnight there. On one trip, we bought this book in the gift shop and had Eloise sign it for our daughter before we left. Eloise wrote, "Sorry I missed you Hope to see you next trip Love, Eloise" Every time we went to New York with our daughter when she was six, we looked for Eloise but we kept missing her. It was lucky that her picture was always there to greet us.
After our daughter could read, we would encourage her to read this book while we were away at The Plaza. In that way, she could feel like she was with us.
Then when we went on trips, we would ask her what she would like to do in the hotel. If she couldn't think of anything, we would ask her what Eloise would do. Soon, an interesting plan would develop.
Eloise is a brave little girl. Her mother is always gone, and only invites her to come along when the sun is shining where her mother is. In the meantime, there's room service.
Eloise is a great book for the beginning reader, because the illustrations so nicely match up with the story. In fact, when your child has a chance to visit The Plaza, she or he will be delighted to see that it is so much like the book. This makes it seem like home for your child, as well. Also, there are not too many punctuations (especially periods) so it's easy to focus on the words.
The story is hilarious. Most adults wouldn't have the aplomb or the self-confidence of Eloise. For children, Eloise is a marvel . . . as well as a whimsical role model. What child will not want to have this story read and memorize it? That memorization then helps form the basics of learning to match the memory to the words. And soon, your child is reading along with you. At some point, he or she can take over and read the story aloud to you. What great fun for you both!
One of my favorite qualities in the story is that Eloise is never bored. She must be allergic to ennui. Yet so often youngsters today say they are bored, like war-weary Europeans after World War I. Eloise can help turn that attitude around into more active channels. No television addict is she!
After Eloise has been adopted as a niece into your family, I suggest that you use Eloise's story as a starting point to help your child understand herself or himself better. Why is Eloise so happy in The Plaza? Would your child like to live in The Plaza? Why is Eloise never bored?
Look for opportunities to explore your potential, wherever and whoever you are!

5.0 out of 5 stars Child's view of the world, September 3, 1999
This review is from: Eloise: A Book for Precocious Grown Ups (Hardcover)
My name is Rebecca. I am 29 years old. When I read Eloise, I not only remember my mother reading it to my over and over again, I can HEAR her voice. We must have read Eloise hundreds of times during my childhood, and I still see new things in the illustrations and understand new portions of the story when I re-read it today. This is a must read for imaginative people of all ages.

Eloise: A Book for Precocious Grown Ups
Eloise: A Book for Precocious Grown Ups by Kay Thompson (Hardcover - April 30, 1969)
$18.99 $14.17