Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now May4th

Format: Hardcover|Change

on February 28, 2009
A very sweet collection of books I remember reading in the 70s. My pet peeve is that the contents are never listed in these anthologies, so here they are:
Busy Timmy, Guess Who Lives Here, My LGB About God, Wonders of Nature, selections from A Child's Garden of Verses, We Help Mommy, Baby Listens, Baby Dear, Baby Looks, "Little Boy Blue," "At Sunset"
33 comments|348 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 23, 2006
I love this beautiful book filled with images from a simpler, gentler time. I remember Eloise Wilkin stories that I used to look at as a little girl, that used to be my mother's books. So this book is very nostalgic for me. I gave it a 4 since

it left out her book "Prayers for Children" that I just love. I think this is a wonderful book to present to children today, as it shows loving families, and an affirmation that God loves his children.
on January 16, 2007
I bought this book when my little boy turned one...I loved the drawings and stories. Such sweet tales here, such as "Busy Timmy", "We Help Mommy" and "Baby Listens". My son will soon be two and this is one of his favorite books! Even when we're not reading it to him, he loves to hold it in his lap, flip the pages and look at the pictures. Wilkin's drawings are so wonderful -- the way the babies have the chubby cheeks and huge eyes - so true to life! This is really a must have for every child's library.
on February 16, 2006
This is a treasure! 13 books in one... illustrated by the talented Eloise Wilkin....The book is very well made and the illustrations are vibrant and glossy....a walk back in time..Dick and Jane like era pictures.....Beautiful book!! I am so glad I own it!!!!
on March 8, 2007
Eloise Wilkin is the only illustrator that I have hunted far and wide for her books. The way she draws just touches something in my heart and adds tremendous emotion to whatever story or poem that is being read.
on June 30, 2007
My daughter has LOVED this book since she was about 20 months old. There are great stories for toddlers, plus a few more advanced ones to "grow on." The illustrations are just lovely, and you'll find ideas and concepts that just aren't being taught today. A good example is "We Help Mommy." Don't hesitate. Buy this book for the toddler or preschooler in your life.
on January 28, 2013
I remember Eloise Wilkin's illustrations from my childhood, so I was thrilled to find this collection of Golden Book stories. I only remember reading a couple of the stories before, so this book is a beautiful addition to my children's book collection. I do have one kind of big complaint though, which is why I am rating the book a 3 instead of a 5. Recently when I was reading some of the stories to my 15 month old, I noticed sparkles on the cover pages. At first I thought this was in the paper lining, but I soon realized that the metallic gold coating on the edges of the pages is coming off like dust. It was all over my fingers. I feel uncomfortable having my daughter touch the pages with me, as well as me touching the pages myself. What is this gold coating made from? The metallic gold sheen still appears solid when the book is closed (no white spots), but I wonder if the gold will hit a point when it no longer powders off, or if it will keep happening until it's gone. Does anyone know about this? The book was printed or manufactured in China, which makes me even more nervous about what might comprise the gold coating. Any answers would be appreciated.
on January 4, 2007
This is a wonderful collection, brought tears to my eyes to actually have this copy in my hands again! I plan to buy more for gifts.
on July 26, 2007
I bought the book for Baby Dear (which is out of print as a single book) and was so delighted with the other stories and illustrations. My 14 month old started cooing and giggling as soon as she saw the pictures - I'm sure it will be a favorite for years to come.
on April 7, 2016
I purchased this book for my little girl, a sweet 2.5-year-old. She has an older brother (he is 4.5) and a new baby brother (5 months), so I was looking for a book that has stories of young siblings and mamas with babies. It's pretty special that my girl looks a lot like the little girl in the stories, which makes them feel personal and extra-special.

I like these stories because the illustrations are simply beautiful. The pictures are gentle, sweet, and full of life. They speak of a time that is gone, but of which I try to duplicate the best aspects of in my own home - namely, the peacefulness of a life intentionally lived at home. The stories and illustrations remind me to slow down and appreciate these years of raising little ones.

Two more good things: 1) The stories are short and sweet, which are perfect for my little girl's attention-span. I could read several of these stories at one time to my pre-K boy, but just one is perfect for my girl. We snuggle together on the couch and enjoy that story for all it's worth. Then she's off and running again!

2) The book is a heavy, beautifully-bound collection of several stories. It is pretty just to keep out and admire. We have a lot of children's books, and a collection stands out and is chosen time and time again.

Here is what I don't love: As a natural-minded mama, I breastfeed my children and show them by example how normal this is. The stories show a mother bottle-feeding her infant, which was surely the norm when the book was first published. However, this example of mothering doesn't resonate with my children, since they were exclusively breastfed for a long time. No bottles in our household.
One more minor issue: the mother makes cookies and other sweets for the children to enjoy, which is lovely, I know. On the other hand, I'm working hard to choose nourishing foods for my children. I'm breaking my own sweet tooth (it's a battle!) and I hope to train my children's taste to appreciate other flavors. Also, sweets as rewards? It is so hard to break that cycle!

Overall, you can talk about these two small issues with your own children, as I did, and enjoy this sweet collection of stories.

I highly recommend it!