5.0 out of 5 stars The fine fantasy world of Daarken
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:25 Mins
Here's the artbook of Mike Lim, better known as Daarken. His website and blog are worth checking out also if you can't get enough from this 200-page hardcover.

Published 19 months ago by Parka

3.0 out of 5 stars Book art is great... book bind is poor.
Despite the fact that I'm a fan of Draaken's art and the book content is good, the binding is of poor quality and after just one pass its pages are all lose and misaligned.
Published 15 days ago by Persio Sposito

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The fine fantasy world of Daarken, January 10, 2013
Length:: 1:25 Mins

This is a concept art book featuring mainly character designs he has created for publications, video games and other projects. The focus is on fantasy art so you'll see work from Magic: The Gathering, World of Warcraft, Dungeons & Dragons, Kingdoms of Amalur and his other personal projects.

The character designs are great. Very cool and striking. The later pages departs from the fantasy genre with pages of figure drawing sketches, portrait paintings and his landscape drawings of urban city streets. I had thought that the city street paintings were actually photographs at first because of the amazing realistic lighting. On closer inspection, you can see how the scene is interpreted and painted.

Right at the back is a walkthrough of the cover creating process. Throughout the book, there are also commentary for selected illustrations.

Recommended to fantasy art lovers and Daarken fans.

(There are more pictures of the book on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Art Book, November 14, 2012
This review is from: Elysium - The Art of Daarken (Hardcover)
This is a must-have book for the aspiring digital artist as well as for the professional who wants to compare notes and techniques with an exceptional artist. It is a very well-written book that includes tons of fantastic illustrations showing the vast, all-encompassing talents of Daarken as an illustrator and as a concept artist. I found this book to be educational and enjoyable and came up appreciating the artist more realizing the talent, hard work, planning and design that went into its production. For the rest of us non-artists but art lovers it is a book worth having as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth purchasing !, October 29, 2012
This review is from: Elysium - The Art of Daarken (Hardcover)
Elysium has just arrived today. I really love it! The printing quality, the layout and design are all perfect together. I love to collect Artbook but this book is the best artbook I have ever had. I have read through it all in one day and it's also insightful and helpful for every artist. I think even for the people who are not artists can learn many things through his experience too. For artists this is absolutely right one that we all should have on the shelf.
Many work that are in the book have description for techniques and guides for specific purposes such as styles and clients. The short tutorial at the back is really good and easy understanding. All the questions that I have, this book have answers for them.
It's such a inspiring and I'm looking forward to future book. I'm glad that I purchased it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindoms of Amalur RECKONING, July 21, 2013
This review is from: Elysium - The Art of Daarken (Hardcover)
This art work was one of my favorite in games and in this book. I highly enjoyed the work that was put into this and am hoping for more to come. I hope the Kindoms of Amalur and this artist will make a longer lasting game . The art and the game that had this type of art was flawlessly ,perfect , beyond , perfection. Thank you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Art Book, April 17, 2014
This review is from: Elysium - The Art of Daarken (Hardcover)
Great artist. Very memorable, captivating pieces if you love fantasy art. I didn't give it 5 stars like many others though, everyone has their own perspectives and reasons; me, I would have enjoyed more variety in color and poses. I understand that that artist is commissioned for specific pieces, but it doesn't feel like he takes much risks. I'm not sure how many pieces he worked on to be exclusively for this book, but that would have been a great opportunity to get out of his comfort zone. It feels like he has a formula that works and is in a safe place at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I became an instant fan, the book is high quality, I agree with many of the reviewers, but didn't give it the 5 stars because every other work was a little expected, don't mean to be critical at all, I wish I could do what he does, and enjoyed the artist hard work and dialogue per piece, but since this seemed like a past to present look into what the artist has done, maybe a time line/dates, some pieces that didn't make the cut...something a little extra would have made it 5 stars for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great art book, from a great artist, but even better person..., February 23, 2014
This review is from: Elysium - The Art of Daarken (Hardcover)
This book is one of the best art books I have come by, as an amateur illustrator and huge fantasy art fanatic, I have to admit I read from cover to cover non-stop... The written part of the book is so fun to read and really gets to you.... makes you feel like Daarken is one of your best friends telling you a story. It makes the amazing illustrations come to life!
An amazing book, MUST BUY for any art fan, concept artist wanna be, or illustrator prospect. Hell, if I could have give it more stars I would have.....

5.0 out of 5 stars unbelievable!, December 18, 2013
This review is from: Elysium - The Art of Daarken (Hardcover)
I got this for my bf, i didn't know how it would look in person, and took a risk ordering it anyways. It's really beautiful in quality and in the images depicted in it. The pages are thick and that sheer look, and the passages i read from the artists are very cool.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Artbook, September 19, 2013
This review is from: Elysium - The Art of Daarken (Hardcover)
Daarken is one of the best freelance illustrator on community.He proven himself by working on lots of big game companies.(magic the gathering,wow tcg,etc.)You might know him by his lots of helpful tutorials on net.Now you gotta chance to closer look at his beautiful work.

About book ; paper quality is realy great and his comments on nearly every artwork helping you a lot about his art.You ll see lots of project he worked on.His very unique style will definitely amaze you.Price is very low so nothing should stop you from having this book. If you are already a daarken fan Its a book that needs to be on your library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, June 25, 2013
This review is from: Elysium - The Art of Daarken (Hardcover)
Great ilustrator!! This book will provide you a fantastic inspiration for your own development as a illustrator. Characteristic images with her own brushtrocke... one word: AMAZING!

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT!!!!, June 10, 2013
This review is from: Elysium - The Art of Daarken (Hardcover)
Darkeen is one of the most greatest digital pinters in my opinion.
This book show a lot of beautiful arts and a full detailed workshop from the artist.
Really like it a lot. Better than I expected!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Elysium - The Art of Daarken
Elysium - The Art of Daarken by Mike Lim (Hardcover - November 6, 2012)
$34.99 $24.82