Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on July 5, 2001
That's the feeling I had when I received this as a present but, nope, I was wrong: I had the THUMBprint drawing book. And there's very little duplicatioin between this book and the thumb book!
Same premise and target audience, though: If your kids have fingers, they can draw! If they're very young, you can draw the details, but if they can hold a pencil, they can probably add the simple shapes and forms to make their own pictures.
The more drawing I do with kids, the more I realize how these books develop skills. They're a perfect gradient for youngsters just sitting down to draw. The books tell them what shapes to add, and it's a matter of duplicating those shapes in the right places--a skill one needs for more realistic drawing.
This is a great starter for a series of books that your kids will enjoy for years and will give them a comfort level and basic skill set they can use to make more sophisticated drawings later, if they want.
on March 23, 2002
I purchased this book for my five year old and I have spent all afternoon creating. I am all thumbs when it comes to art and drawing. I have never been able to reproduce drawings--but now I can. Mine look just like Ed's. WOW! There is no need to purchase ink pads- I just used my son's washable markers and colored my finger with them. What a great book!
on June 20, 2005
This is a book that uses stick figures and basic shapes to help children learn to draw more complicated pictures. This is an interactive book to teach drawing. Every little artist will enjoy the simple step-by-step drawings and colorful illustrations that Ed Emberley's Drawing Book of Trucks and Trains contains. Smaller children will learn new words while their older siblings can use the book to learn how to draw more complicated pictures than just stick figures. However, it is somewhat difficult for the four-year-old child. An age recommendation on the book itself would make buying the book a little easier for parents and gift-giving relatives.
on August 27, 2005
Some art books can make kids cry in frustration with, "I don't get it, I can't do it". I have never had that problem with books from this artist, kids just love these! Ed Emberly has made some wonderful books for kids and grown-ups of any age that have no drawing skills, but want to learn a simple way. His books are the easiest books to get you started if you have no previous drawing skills. He doesn't talk down to you, he doesn't talk at all but uses his step by step method for you to follow. As a result, you can use these books for kids that have language issues. He starts with a step by step illustrated lesson to draw one simple item. First a simple straight line here, then insert a circle then, then another line, step by step along the way and before you know it you have a completed drawing that you can be really proud of. I teach Cub Scouts and this artist makes the perfect book for teaching a class when you are a volunteer yourself that is not an art pro.

In this book, he shows us how to make complete trains in drawings that when finishe, you will be shocked it came from your pencil. The drawing is simple, but looks complex when finished. Also see his book, "Make a World", and "The Big Green Drawing Book".
on December 14, 2013
Ed Emberley is just fantastic. I had only one or two of his books as a child (30-ish years ago) and once I found out there were more, I bought everyone I could find. My girls really enjoy them (now almost teens). The step by step approach to taking shapes they're familiar with and putting them together to make such cute drawings helps them to branch out into drawings of their own. We leave notes for each other and put something we learned to draw from EE's books on the note - brightens everyone's day!
Every little artist will enjoy the simple step-by-step drawings and colorful illustrations that Ed Emberley's Drawing Book of Trucks and Trains contains. Smaller children will learn new words while their older siblings can use the book to learn how to draw more complicated pictures than just stick figures. While Mr. Emeberley works with some stick figure designs, he cleverly weaves in triangles, circles, rectangles and squares to make learning fun and easy. An age recommendation on the book itself would make buying the book a little easier for parents and gift-giving relatives. While amazon shows an age of 4-8, it was too complicated for my almost four-year-old son to use. It is, however, a book that children that age could grow into with time.

Christine Louise Hohlbaum, author of DIARY OF A MOTHER (2003)
SAHM I AM: TALES OF A STAY-AT-HOME MOM IN EUROPE (2005), resides with her husband and two children near Munich, Germany.
on July 30, 2015
Excellent! My five year old little girl is a natural gifted artist, while my 8 year old boy is not. I have given this to my 8 year old when I found out how, next to his little sister whom he adores, he feels very inadequate when it comes to artistic talents. It brought him to tears when I asked why he wasn't drawing anymore. He said he draws very badly while the little girl draws so well. It broke my heart. This book couldn't get here fast enough for me. From the first day I gave it to him, it has boosted his confidence and drawing skills magnificently! Very easy to follow, and the most important lesson of this book is that drawing can be fun and can be learned by anyone. Give this book to a little kid and he or she will surely say, "I can draw!"

Thank you Ed Emberly, you're the best! And thank you Amazon!
on March 14, 2003
A friend of mine gave me this book, along with some stamp pads and markers for my 39th birthday. I am having so much fun with it! I use the ideas in the book for decorating letters, envelopes and packages, and everyone loves them! I recently taught my 4 1/2 year old niece to make "thumbies" as my friends and I call them, and she was able to follow along easily. She made a balloon-carrying mouse, a butterfly, a "frog with no legs" and a clown. I was really surprised! So, now I'm ordering a copy to give to my sister for her.
on November 8, 2012
you wouldn't believe how many little creatures and things you can make with just fingerprints! This makes for great projects with kids of all ages and perfect gifts for grandparents... you could make a card, ordament, ideas for every holiday and everyday, fun for bday party games ... Endless possibilities! This book is great entertainment for hours with artsy children!!! Great for a classroom and good lesson to incorporate science and fingerprinting (forensics). HAVE FUN!!! You will use it over and over again!
on October 24, 2002
We own four of Emberley's Drawing books and my kids loved them... they are now adults and I plan to use this newest book with my two grandchildren. Kids love to draw, but often get frustrated because the results "don't look right!". These books turn "I can draw??" into "I CAN DRAW!!" with smiles and laughter all around. The directions are very simple and the results satisfying... I recommend this book for all the budding artists you know.