Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on August 27, 2005
Ed Emberly has made some wonderful books for kids and grown-ups of any age that have no drawing skills, but want to learn a simple way. His books are the easiest books to get you started if you have no previous drawing skills. He starts with a step by step illustrated lesson to draw one simple item. First a simple straight line here, then insert a circle then, then another line, step by step along the way and before you know it you have a completed drawing that you can be really proud of. I teach Cub Socuts and this artist makes the perfect book for teaching a class when you are a volunteer yourself that is not an art pro.

In this one, he teaches us to make monsters of all sorts like a witch, wolfman, Frankenstein, vampire, Also see his book, "Make a World", and "The Big Green Drawing Book". If you want more Halloween related drawings including cats, jack o'lanterns, and a full haunted house, try Ed Emberley's "Big Orange Drawing Book".
on March 1, 2016
I teach art to kids and everyone loves drawing these weirdos!! Ed Emberley's method is to have an "alphabet" of simple shapes in the beginning, and then every character in his book uses those simple shapes in his step-by-step drawings. The kids had much success with this method and were very pleased with their results. I love Ed Emberley books & this one is a huge hit with elementary aged kids. It's good any time of year, but an especially good art lesson around Halloween!
on January 4, 2015
My son borrowed one of the other Ed Emberley books from his school library - he's 6 and these are just an awesome way to show them how easily they can make cool drawings. He recognized "ed emberley" and was very happy to get it.
on May 4, 2016
My oldest boy, age 7 is having a fun time drawing from the examples in this book. It has certainly spurred his interest in art projects. On the downside I keep finding paper scraps, crayons and colored pencils all over the house. ;-)
on January 15, 2016
These books are great for kids learning to draw. My 5 year old can easily follow the steps and the end product usually looks the it's suppose to. What I really like about these books is that they break a picture down into manageable steps allowing the student to learn the process needed to create an end product. I've noticed that my sons art work in general has improved. These make great gifts with a pad of paper and colored pencils!
on January 7, 2016
These books are great for sparking the creativity of your budding artist. My 5 year old has really enjoyed following the step by step instructions and I love seeing this sense of accomplishment when he completes each drawing!!
on October 28, 2007
Ed Emberley is amazing. This book is great for Halloween or those times when you want to draw a monster or two. I taught myself how to use Illustrator and Ed's books are a great resource because of the way he simplifies each drawing. Don't fear, this book can be used just as well with pencils, crayons or markers.
on April 7, 2011
When my children were small I used Ed Emberley's books to draw pictures for them (not being very artistic myself!!). As they grew, they used the books to develop drawing skills...or, in reality, instead of doing homework. Now I have grandchildren and I bought the books to introduce them to creative drawing using basic shapes. It is fun to see a product span the generations. An Ed Emberley book, a box of good colored pencils and a pad of drawing paper make a fairly inexpensive gift that needs no batteries and uses something today's children seem to lack...their imagination.
on December 14, 2013
Ed Emberley is just fantastic. I had only one or two of his books as a child (30-ish years ago) and once I found out there were more, I bought everyone I could find. My girls really enjoy them (now almost teens). The step by step approach to taking shapes they're familiar with and putting them together to make such cute drawings helps them to branch out into drawings of their own. We leave notes for each other and put something we learned to draw from EE's books on the note - brightens everyone's day!
on July 14, 2010
Ed Emberly books are a great way to help kids break down the drawing process. At first I was concerned following the steps took away some of the creativity of drawing, but that has not proven to be the case. My five year old son absolutely loves it. He went from refusing to draw because he couldn't get the pictures the way he wanted them to sitting down daily with his Ed Emberly books. He gets a huge sense of accomplishment from being able to draw the characters. This book is a bit more advanced than the "Animals" version, so you might want to consider starting with an easier book, but the kids love the zany creatures you can draw in this one. My son thanked Ed Emberly for helping him learn to draw before he went to sleep the other night.