Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Ed Emberley's Great Thumbprint Drawing Book
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Drowners Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on January 20, 1999
I had this book as a child and recently rediscovered it. It makes an excellent gift for a young child with a few art supplies. I have found children 3 and up to thoroughly enjoy this book. Highly recommended.
on November 27, 2000
All the Emberly books are worthwhile, and this one is definitely skewed toward the younger side of the 4-8 age group. Even younger than four will enjoy this. If they can hold a pencil and draw dots and lines, they can make drawings. In fact, younger kids might enjoy just making the thumbprints and watching you turn them into people and animals.
Older kids may grow tired of it quickly but that's okay, becuse the Green, Orange, Red and Purple Emberly books are for them!
on March 16, 1998
This is one of the greatest ways to unlock your and your child's imagination. Everyone's Thumbodies are different, yet this simple guide to turning your thumbprint into art helps everyone have fun. All you need is a stamp pad, a pen and fingerprints to have hours of fun. Decorate your letters and certificates with your own personal touch.
on August 29, 2001
For any child afraid he or she cant draw well.... just buy them this book, and watch how much pride they have in what they can accomplish. This book is very basic and shows little characters you can make with a thumbprint (or circle or blob) but dont let your "limited adult imagination" think that is just a few things... there are TONS of things you can draw!!!!!! and they are very easy. I think this is a perfect first drawing book...or for a child who is already convinced that "I cant draw" i hear kids say that and i think its so sad.... this book is really a positive thing :)
on July 29, 2002
This is one of the most simple and entertaining art books to be found for the younger set, or those who just love to doodle. I am fourteen, and I still enjoy pulling this book out to create thumbprint pictures with my siblings. All you need is an ink pad, some paper, and a pen to begin making the fun characters Mr. Emberley presents here, leaving the kitchen table much cleaner than it would be after finger painting. And since the pictures consist of your thumbprint and a few simple lines and dots, children can begin trying to make these as soon as they are able to grasp a pencil.
Once you get started, the possibilities are endless, both on and off of paper - we recently made a T-Shirt for a friend's new baby with our thumbprint drawings all over it and the words "Thumbody loves you!" Like in all of Ed Emberley's books, the images shown are only starting points to encourage additional creative ideas to come forth from wee Picassos everywhere. I would highly recommend this for all toddlers.
on July 30, 2002
As a child who loved to draw - but was all "thumbs" in drawing - Emberley's Thumbprintbook was an amazing gift. Suddenly, I could duplicate the art in a drawing book and then go on to create my own shapes and creations. As I got older, I moved onto his other wonderful art books (such as Red, Puple, Orange, Green), but my thumbprints always remained my favorite.
This is a simple but enlivening art book for preschool and elementary school aged kids. I used it over 25 years ago and it is still a huge success with kids today. Don't miss it!
on January 8, 2016
We own several Ed Emberley books and enjoy each one. This book is nice for younger children (and up to adults, really) because they are able to make their thumbprints. Adding faces allows them to use basic skills without having to focus on drawing an entire picture. The kids have really enjoyed this addition to our collection.
on January 4, 2016
I paired this up with Decora Multicolor Ink Pads 12pcs and gave it to my 5 year old daughter. SHe loved it! SO, did my 7 year old son, who never really showed any interest in any type of art. They made fish, toads, skeletons! It was very easy art that made them feel like they were creating something nice. I will buy more Ed Emberley stuff. Super fun!
on May 24, 2016
I thought this was the perfect little add on to a gift we were giving to an 8 your old that likes arts and crafts. I liked it better than the little craft kits for kids because often those can be difficult for younger kids and there are so many pieces that get spread everywhere.
on June 4, 2014
I got this for my 5 year old for his birthday since I so fondly remember learning to draw things from the Ed Emberley Animals book when I was a kid. These are so fun and easy for young artists that he really got engaged with the book for about an hour. Then my 7 year old came home and wanted to try. Then both kids cut out their cute little creations.

We've had the Ed Emberley Weirdos book for a while, which hasn't gotten much use (maybe a little advanced?). But after using the Thumbprint book, my 5 year old got out the Weirdo book and gave a few Weirdos a try. I highly recommend this Thumbprint book for your kids or to buy as a birthday gift for a child.