(Found in the roof cavity of the abandoned Hart residence)January 8
Things I never want the world to forget about Angus:
- He's smart, but studies for fun
- I met him at Uni. We were both studying ancient cultures
- His father expected him to follow in his footsteps and become a media tycoon
- He's stinking rich, but he's not pretentious about it, not one little bit
- When he eats ice cream he always 'accidently' gets some on his face - just to annoy me
- His favourite pet was a dog named Minnie
- His hair is brown and curls up over his ears when he needs a hair cut
- I love him
I met Angus after work today. I needed a beer something fierce! Right from the moment he walked into the bar, I knew something was up. He looked like crap, that's for sure and if I didn't know any better, I would think he'd already started drinking without me. I quizzed him, but other than saying he had a headache, he insisted he was okay.January 10
I'm hiding in the roof cavity of my house.
I should have known better last night. Angus was sick, not drunk. But not good sick - Haum sick.
This is my first encounter with zombies. Sure I've met a whole bunch of vamps and weres - most of them being my family - and I even know a bit about merpeople (well, actually 'people' is no longer correct since all the mermales seem to have been eaten by their spouses), but zombies are new to me.
I am peering down through a small hole I punched in the ceiling with my biro. Angus can smell me, but he can't work out where I am. I wish I didn't have to do what has to be done. I wish Angus was like me - immune.
I don't want to shoot him.
I still love him.January 11
I managed to move a roof tile so I can see the moon now. I am running out of water but still have a whole bunch of muesli bars left.
Here is what I have learned about zombies:
- Slurring is the earliest sign. Angus was slurring for at least 10 hours before any other symptoms appeared.
- Forgetfulness. Angus rang me at work to ask where he lived.
- Runny, oozy eyes are the first physical symptom. When I got home from work, Angus was sitting on my doorstep and it looked like he was crying. I was lucky he didn't kill me then.
- The pus comes next. The weeping from the eyes very quickly turns from a clear liquid into yellow mucus. Then they start sneezing and coughing up more of the pus.
- Zombies really do shuffle.
- They are about as intelligent as a rock on a slow day.
- Their sense of smell is phenomenal.
- They can't climb.
- They are very patient.
I can't do it. I can't kill the man I still want to kiss.January 12
I think I have come to terms with what I did yesterday.
Angus is no more.
I shot him in the head and the books were right about that.
I wish I had the courage to kill him earlier. Now the only image I have in my head of my boyfriend is that of a decomposing creature. I watched him rot right there in front of me as I sat in the roof with the manhole open. He knew I was there; it just never seemed to occur to him to look up.
I am still in the roof cavity. My water is gone but I can't move. I just want to lie down and die.
I don't want to have to see him up close.
I still love him.
Oh my god. Is that Warwick?