5.0 out of 5 stars Emergence

3.0 out of 5 stars Emergence by Barbara Marx Hubbard
Published on August 18, 2012 by Rev Judy Miller-Dienst

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Emergence, March 8, 2003
In her latest book, Emergence, visionary author Barbara Marx Hubbard describes the birth of a new being that she calls the �Universal Human.� She describes a Universal Human as �one who is connected through the heart to the whole of life, attuned to the deeper intelligence of nature, and called forth irresistibly by spirit to creatively express his or her gifts in the evolution of self and the world.�
She believes that humans today are undergoing the process of �emerging� from what we�ve been to beings capable of co-creating �a new world that is sustainable, compassionate, and life-enhancing.� Our present generation has the technological ability to destroy the world, or to consciously evolve in ways that are �magnificent beyond imaginings.�
She has divided her book into two parts. The first section compares the process of emerging to physical birth�gestation, infancy, childhood, youth, and mature adult. She also discusses why this particular generation is the �cross-over� generation between human development to date and the Universal Human, and outlines the challenges we face in making the transition.
The longer second section is a guidebook to emergence. In it, Hubbard interweaves the story of her own emergence with meditations, spiritual practices, and encouragement. She describes ten key steps, beginning with creating an inner sanctuary. All the steps depend on knowing and listening to the �Essential Self.�
Hubbard emphasizes that change is necessary if we are to survive, because �the very behaviors that kept us alive in prior times are the behaviors that are threatening to end our lives today.� She says we have the ability to change and develop the consciousness we need to meet the challenges ahead.
Emergence is essential reading for all those desiring to consciously evolve and develop their full potential as extraordinary beings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everlasting Change, January 10, 2011
This book went beyond any theory or explanation and is the one that created real and lasting change. Here's the short version of my experience.

I used her meditations in the Guide to Emergence section though quickly found myself on my own adventure. I was in the den on the couch when a huge white ball of cloud-like cotton came in and sat down. She brought three corners of me into the room, Mind, Emotions and the Physical Body. It was if she was leading a meeting. She called forth old wounds, old habits, old thought structures and pulled us altogether into her. She gathered guilt, envy, lack, abandonment and every other unnecessary emotion and pulled them into her. She was pure love.

The next day I continued the book and once again went on my own adventure. This time the cotton ball (who I now called Essie) came in and had a stern chat with mind/ego. She told it that it would be used for service, but was not going to lead the life anymore. It was to take a backseat to her and learn to be silent unless called upon.

I didn't realize the shift until the next day. I bumped my head on an open cupboard and the voice that would've said, "What an idiot," now said, "Be careful of me" with the greatest amount of love. Then it was quiet. The chatter had stopped and I began listening in to deep thoughts of a higher vibration. I'd always had deep thoughts, but this book put the chatter away and allowed Essie to run my show, my inner dialogue and my life. Things have been so easy since I read this in 2006. I certainly allow the ego out to stretch her muscles and yell her injustices (usually at the TV), but I observe, smile at my wonderful humanness and then put her in the backseat again. I can't say enough thanks to the absolute change this book brought me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emergence: The Shift from Ego to Essence, March 11, 2008
This is a wonderful book that explains how we can all view the world we live in from a higher perspective. Barbara Marx Hubbard shows how we can transcend our personal motives and find joy through serving humanity's higher values. She does this by teaching us to appreciate the creative interconnectedness of all things. This book is recommended reading for those who dream of a world in which humanity someday consciously and collectively chooses the direction in which it wishes to head.

3.0 out of 5 stars Emergence by Barbara Marx Hubbard, August 18, 2012
This book started out with profound information that quickly caught and held my attention. However, I lost interest a few chapters in when the author focused on her own journaling journey. I think the book would be very helpful for those people who are seeking guidance early in their own self-discovery work. I'm further along in my personal growth and am seeking more. I may go back to the book to "spot" read, as this book is required reading for an upcoming advanced ministerial work class that I'm taking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hope is a Strategy, November 10, 2009
This book gives every human being hope that our ability to reinvent ourselves and become fully alive is possible. Barbara Marx Hubbard is courageous and insightful leading the reader through the phases of development as a Universal Human. Through her own experience the reader is encouraged to try it for themselves. I am still reading it and have had many encounters with my Essential Self. A great read for those on a journey toward wholeness.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I have ever read on the spiritual journey, March 27, 2013
Jesica Davis (Culver City, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Emergence: The Shift from Ego to Essence (Paperback)
I hold a degree in the history of religion, and am an experienced meditator and yogi. I have read COUNTLESS books on the spiritual journey, spiritual growth, spiritual practices, etc. etc. And this is BY FAR one of the clearest most coherent and analytically sound works out there. It is for ANYONE regardless of belief system, and takes spiritual practice out of the realm of "belief" and "culture" and into the realm of human life and science.
To do the work Hubbard recommends, however, does require at least a passing familiarity with one's own internal life: whether through moments of awe, flow or quiet. So I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who hasn't at least once had a non-drug induced feeling of beautiful peace that they wished would last forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Steps We Can Take to Our Higher Self, August 11, 2012
This review is from: Emergence: The Shift from Ego to Essence (Paperback)
Barbara Hubbard's Emergence is her review of her decades-long search and couple-of-years-long stumbling along the way to Higher Self... combined with reflections and instructions for the reader to walk that Way him- or herself. This is very solid instruction and spirituality unbound to any religious tradition, and should be acceptable to the open-minded in all traditions. This book is now in my top ten all time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sacred life work, August 5, 2012
This review is from: Emergence: The Shift from Ego to Essence (Paperback)
A little text but very powerful message with steps to change your mere existence to what we all came here to be. Barbara Marx Hubbard is a master who shares the easy step by step techniques to become what you already are. I use this book with groups of women and never tire of teaching and sharing the process.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend it, March 20, 2013
This review is from: Emergence: The Shift from Ego to Essence (Paperback)
A great investment to keep around for the rest of your life. Really hits on some important aspects. Easy read

5.0 out of 5 stars Emergence: The Shift from Ego to Essence, April 27, 2014
This review is from: Emergence: The Shift from Ego to Essence (Paperback)
My life is transforming and transcending after reading this book and taking Barbara Mark Hubbard's course on it.
A must read for anyone who wishes to become a happier and better person and contribute to making the world a better place. Barbara Marx Hubbard is truly a visionary, and when she was a candidate for the nomination for Vice President of the U.S. in 1984. her idea for a Department of Peace to replace the Department of War, where heads of nations could meet and discuss what is working well in their countries was genius.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Emergence: The Shift from Ego to Essence
Emergence: The Shift from Ego to Essence by Barbara Marx Hubbard (Paperback - March 1, 2012)
$18.95 $13.05