Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 11, 2009 9:49:01 AM PST
As the author of "Emergency Management and Tactical Response Operations: Bridging the Gap," I am interested in reading "Securing the City." It appears from an interview with the author on NPR that there is an opportunity for law enforcement personnel who have learned about counterterrorism to educate themselves for emergency mangement positions. Their experience will be valuable to the management responsibilities required of professional emergeny management personnel if they invest in learning managment skills.
Dr. Tom Phelan

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2009 9:49:28 AM PST
I would suggest Dr. Phelan read the book before making the leap of logic that the NYPD does not have what he calls "emergency management skills." The book concentrates on the preventative practices developed by the force, but even a founding father of DHS should be able to infer the existence of an emergency response management structure in NYC that is much improved over the one that was in place at the time of the 9/11 tragedy.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2009 5:39:54 PM PST
There is no quote in Dr. Phelan's post of "emergency management skills" as noted by the Retired Reader.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2009 7:36:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 22, 2009 7:36:47 AM PST
Certainly not in Dr. Phelen's post, but he does use this term in his promotional material elsewhere.

Posted on Feb 23, 2009 6:01:17 AM PST
It is not at all uncommon for people to confuse tactical response operations skill with skill in emergency management. Nearly 150 colleges and universities in the U.S. and Canada are providing instruction in homeland security and emergency management to bridge the gap. Many of their students are firefighters, law enforcement officers, and EMS personnel who are learning about emergency management.

Posted on Feb 23, 2009 7:23:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 24, 2009 4:29:00 AM PST
Perhaps my first post was a bit too harsh in the way that it was worded. I have no doubt that the field of Emergency Management is both legitimate and necessary. My quarrel with Dr. Phelan's initial post no doubt is same as his quarrel with my initial reply, in that both seem to imply a certain arrogance. Well in a forum like this one really should be careful how posts are worded.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Feb 11, 2009
Latest post:  Feb 23, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Securing the City: Inside America's Best Counterterror Force--The NYPD
Securing the City: Inside America's Best Counterterror Force--The NYPD by Christopher Dickey (Hardcover - February 3, 2009)
3.5 out of 5 stars (22)