4.0 out of 5 stars Great Show - Disappointing DVD Release
When it was first announced that Emergency was going to be released on DVD I was very excited. I grew up on this show, and it still holds up well today. In fact, Emergency was the groundbreaker that lead directly to E.R.

Published on February 16, 2007 by Erik Rupp

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Show...Mediocre presentation by Universal
I have been eagerly awaiting the release of Season 3 and absolutely love Emergency. Universal did a decent job with the quality of Seasons 1 and 2 but Season 3 is a step backward in many respects. First the good. The use of single sided disks is a much welcome change and I had no freezing problems like I did with Season 1 and 2.

Unfortunately, the quality of...
Published on February 18, 2007 by Christopher J. Martin

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Show - Disappointing DVD Release, February 16, 2007
Erik Rupp (Southern California) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Emergency! Season Three (DVD)

I loved watching it again on TV Land, but was disappointed that they used the final season theme/credits for all episodes. It may seem like a trivial thing, but I've always loved the theme song that they used from seasons 3-5. I've been dying to hear that full theme song - with the Jazzy mid section - for over 20 years. I'm still waiting.

Universal chose not to put out the original versions of these episodes, instead using the versions given to TV Land. Now, the episodes that I've seen so far appear to be full length, but I've only watched the first two and scanned through the rest. (Update - it looks like just about all of the episodes are full length.) The decision to go with the versions that have the wrong theme song/credits is perplexing, though.

They dug deep and found the original versions from seasons 1 & 2, why couldn't they do the same with season 3?

The picture and sound quality for the Season 3 Box Set is acceptable, but not as good as seasons 1 & 2 (both of which were flawed in authoring/mastering, but had good source material). What happened? A year wait and this is the best they can do? I know these aren't the biggest sellers Universal has, but they're selling well enough to warrant releasing all seasons, so why not continue to do at least the same quality job that they did with seasons 1 & 2? It makes no sense.

The quality of the episodes of this classic show more than calls for the purchase of this box set, but it is a disappointing release, and I hope that Universal gets it right for Season 4! (Come on guys - ORIGINAL, CORRECT Theme Songs, and better picture & sound quality!)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great family show, February 9, 2007
This review is from: Emergency! Season Three (DVD)
I'm a fire captain in a major northeastern city, and Emergency! was a great influence on me as a kid. Now my children are the age of when I used to watch the show, and watching it with them is a way for me to help them understand what I do, and a show that we can all enjoy together. There are so few good shows on T.V. these days that all of us can enjoy together, and "Emergency!" in one that really brings us togther. I am surprised how much my kids love this show, but I guess I shouldn't be!

5.0 out of 5 stars Emergency Season 3, February 11, 2007
This review is from: Emergency! Season Three (DVD)
I can vividly remember watching Emergency as a kid and being in awe of the things that Gage and DeSoto were able to do as Paramedic Firefighters. Back then I could not wait for The Price is Right to be over so that Emergency would come on...

As I got older I found myself drawn to the field of Emergency Medicine and at 16 I started as a volunteer at the local ambulance squad, and at 18 became a NY State EMT. I went on to work at NYC EMS and in fact met my husband of going on 26 years while at EMT class. Without this show I would not have married my husband or had my 3 children. I am sure the creators of this show never imagined that it would have such impact of so many lives!

I have seasons 1 & 2 and preordered season 3 and as soon as it arrives my husband and I will sit down and watch it without fail...

5.0 out of 5 stars Send me to Dr. Early for Emergency addiction, March 1, 2007
Patricia L. Grove (Rothschild, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Emergency! Season Three (DVD)
Since I got this set a week ago, I have spent most of my spare time watching it. I keep telling myself, it's time to put the DVD away, only to find myself watching enough episode.

The best one to me is "The Waiting Hours," about Dr. Early's double bypass (not a routine operation back in the 70's.) The fear and worry on Dixie's face is real (after all, Bobby Troup was Julie London's real-life husband.) Once again, clam chowder plays a role in this Jack Webb show(both Dragnet and Adam-12 also had episodes that featured it.)

Other highlights are "Inferno" and "Fools" (featuring Bobby Sherman as a cocky intern.) And who can forget Gage treating himself in the field after being bitten by a rattler in the brush? There's also the more lighthearted moments, like Chet besieging Gage with practical jokes. But even if the plot of the day sounds a bit silly, there's always one or two rescues that get the blood flowing (or the funny bone tickling.)

People are complaining about the quality of the DVD's. Generally, I don't think it's so bad considering the age of the shows. However, there are a few episodes (the ones with the "Season 6" credits) that are poor quality, especially the one with the abusive mom. Interestingly, the DVD's seem to bring out things that weren't intended to be noticed in the 70's. For example, at a 5-alarm fire, you can tell that Engine 5 was really the old 51 engine (you can very clearly see the tape covering the 51.) But that's part of the charm.

This seems to be the best season released so far (the proof being that I didn't devour the first two seasons like this.)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great TV show I thought I'd never see on DVD, February 5, 2007
This review is from: Emergency! Season Three (DVD)
I was quite surprised to see that not one but three seasons of Emergency are out on DVD or pending. I remember watching this great show on Saturday nights back when I was in high school. In those days, the networks put the good TV shows on Saturdays. Today, Saturday night is a graveyard for the pseudo-cancelled. It's hard to believe that 35 years ago the concept of the paramedic was a novel one, and this is a great show about the problems and personal lives of those involved in those early days of the program.

Emergency kept the pace fast and interesting with a combination of strange, dramatic, and even humorous cases. More unusual cases this season include the rescue of a boy trapped inside his own homemade rocket, a man who has difficulty breathing because he has swallowed his partial dental plate, an amateur magician trapped in a safe, a bank robbery hostage has symptoms of a heart attack and the paramedics have to treat him at gunpoint, a patient with an earache caused by mothballs, and an artist trapped inside his own sculpture.

The personal side of Emergency is interesting too. The chemistry between paramedics John Gage and Roy DeSoto is great and their various misadventures are frequently humorous. They're good friends but quite different people. Roy is a family man through and through, and John is a carefree single guy. I remember one particularly funny conversation in which John is actually thinking about marriage but is not sure he and the girl have known each other long enough. He asks Roy how long he knew his wife before they got married and Roy says 12 years. When John says that is a ridiculous period of time to wait, Roy mentions that he and his wife met in the fourth grade. That's a pretty typical conversation for the two. I highly recommend this series. If you've never seen it, even though medicine has changed drastically, it is still good entertainment. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars At long last; it's here!!!, February 27, 2007
This review is from: Emergency! Season Three (DVD)
It's such a shame that there's so many negative comments about this release. Like most writing reviews I too am a firefighter/emt. I didn't have the privilege of watching this show during it's original run, but was able to watch it through syndication in the '80s. I remember setting that hour aside every day straining to watch it through a channel out of Chicago. It was worth every minute. I love the fact that the discs were not double sided. Yes, some of the episodes have minor flaws in the picture quality, but who cares. A true fan looks past that and enjoys the program for what it is. What's even better is now I can enjoy this with my son and show him some of the history that helped evolve the fire service. Thank you Universal for releasing season three and here's hoping for more seasons to follow.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rough prints of this classic that hit its stride in season 3, March 12, 2007
Jim Grey (Indianapolis, IN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Emergency! Season Three (DVD)
Emergency! seemed to hit its stride in season 3. The characters, and the interplay among them, had been developed more fully. The show's pace, which occasionally lurched in seasons 1 and 2, had become smooth.

I chuckled at some minor continuity gaps. Several times, a Ford ambulance picked up the victim at the scene, but a Chevy ambulance delivered the same victim to Rampart General. And in one episode, while showing Squad 51 rushing to the scene, they spliced in a clip of Squad 10 from the pilot episode -- that truck had entirely different styling.

Sadly, the film is in rough shape in some of these episodes. For example, in one episode just after the open, the film jumps and you hear a pop. You can clearly see scratches and splice marks appear and quickly disappear in other episodes. Moreover, in several episodes for some reason the open from the final season was spliced in, usually a little clumsily. I don't understand why they did this when the proper season 3 open was available from so many other episodes. I'm a stickler for accuracy, I guess. But I'm just glad to have these episodes anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still awesome after all these years, February 28, 2007
This review is from: Emergency! Season Three (DVD)
I loved Emergency as a kid, and I still love it now. Seasons 1 and 2 were great, but season 3 is even better.

Yeah, some people have complaints. I wish they would all be "pristine", too, but I won't rate the season lower because of it. If you were ever an E! fan, you will love this set. The episodes get better with each season, so I recommend you pick this one up.

ERRR-OOOU-EEEE! Time for more Emergency! :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars The Show is GREAT, but the DVD is not, May 8, 2008
This review is from: Emergency! Season Three (DVD)
The episodes were very good, but the quality of the picture and sound, while not nearly as bad as season 4's, were not as good as seasons 1&2. I had to return this set, because disc 3 was defective, and would not even play. Amazon was good and quick getting a replacement sent. I hope season 5 will be a lot better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Show...Mediocre presentation by Universal, February 18, 2007
This review is from: Emergency! Season Three (DVD)

Unfortunately, the quality of individual episodes isn't as good. I don't mind the fact they used the syndication opening. But Universal obviously didn't bother to go into their own archives to use the original tapes or film and that's dissapointing. The storage of what they did use must not have been very good because certain scenes in episodes appear "washed out" or have occasional lines, much like you occasionally see on old film. What is most dissapointing however is that the copies they used have content left out from when they originally aired. There is an entire scene in the episode Propinquity that many Emergency! fans have never seen which occured in one of the main character's apartment. That scene does not appear in the DVD version. That's particularly unfortunate because Seasons 1 and 2 did include many of the scenes cut out of TVLand's presentation.

I am happy Universal finally came through on getting the season out and I hope will get the rest of the series done, but the quality of the presentation is dissapointing.

Emergency! Season Three
Emergency! Season Three by Kevin Tighe (DVD - 2007)
$39.98 $11.96