Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Emeril at the G'rill: A Cookbook for All Seasons (Emeril's)
Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

I started taking an interest in cooking about ten or eleven months ago. I found too many TV shows and the movie channels providing shows that were offensive, boring, and repetitive. So, knowing nothing about cooking beyond the basic dishes I assembled over the years, I started watching the Food Channel. Naturally, I came across Emeril Lagasse. He and a few of the other hosts caught my eye because they were focusing on cooking, teaching good basic techniques, and offering dishes I thought I could begin to tackle. I watched until I found dishes I thought I understood enough about to attempt. They came out well. And over the months I have been experimenting with dozens and dozens of dishes, my family loves the Emeril dishes the best. In fact, whenever I present a new dish to try, my oldest son asks me if it is an Emeril dish, if I say yes, he says to bring it on!

This is a very nice book for bringing Emeril's savory and flavorful food aesthetic to the grill. While you certainly can grill indoors, most of us think of grilling as a backyard activity or one for some other outdoors location. We love the fire, the smoke, and the flavor it imparts to the food. While we normally think of meat when we grill, and this book has a lot of meat dishes, Emeril shows us a lot more we can do with our grills.

The book opens with a two page preface from Emeril and a few pages on the basics of cooking on a grill. Emeril opens the book with some festive drinks you can make to serve with your grilled food. Most have alcohol, but not all. And he lets you know which drinks can be served nicely even when omitting the booze. This section is only about 15 pages long. So, it isn't a big part of the book.

The first big food section is on side dishes. If you are familiar with Emeril's various shows over the years, you will feel comfortable with these dishes. You get help with things like grilled smashed potatoes, chipotle-deviled eggs, cucumber salad, bake beans, salads (I like the watercress, avocado, and mango salad - very summery), grilled polenta, tomatoes on the fence (skewers of small tomatoes, oil, garlic, basil, salt, and pepper), and much more.

Next comes a section of sandwiches. These use interesting ingredients such as figs, chipotle, red peppers, taleggio cheese, turkey, pork, and even fish tacos. Just tasty stuff! This is followed by a section with various kinds of burgers and kebabs. Emeril even shows you how to make your own spicy ketchup or a habanero ketchup! Are you up for lamb kababs or burgers? You can find them here as well as burgers made with beef or buffalo. Do swordfish kebabs sound great? How about with a mixed herb pesto? Or sliders made with ground turkey?

You also get nearly forty pages of seafood dishes using fish like swordfish, salmon, sardines, tuna, sea bass, bronzini, and catfish, as well as shellfish such as lobster, shrimp, crab, clams, and a whole lot more.

The "Things With Wings" section provides about thirty pages of poultry dishes exploring styles like Vietnamese, Filipino, Brazilian, Italian, Mexican, Jamaican, and Indian as well as traditional American style BBQ. Emeril even offers a take on the old beer can trick, but with Turkey Breast and BBQ Gravy rather than chicken.
The land based entres explore traditional items such as strip steak (with a stilton-walnut butter), t-bones, rib-eyes, simple bbq ribs, bone in Delmonico steaks, and hanger steak. But Emeril also does takes with a Thai beef salad, a Caribbean pork tenderloin, Korean short ribs, baby lamb chops with a mint pesto, and an Asian-style skirt steak. There are, of course, many more offerings in these thirty pages.

You then get about twenty-five or so pages of desserts: a root bear float, grilled chocolate sandwiches or s'mores, freeze pops, ice cream sandwiches, fruit kebabs, chocolate suffed apples, chocolate chipotle brownies, and even a strawberry pie.

The production values in this book are quite high. The photographs of the dishes are so inviting that you want to make the dish so you can taste what you see in the pictures! They also give you a strong idea about what you are trying to create. The lists of ingredients are clear and helpful. For example if you don't know what pimentón is, the recipe lets you know it is Spanish smoked paprika. The process to cook the dishes are listed in steps and most take three or four with a few taking only two and others requiring seven. Emeril also includes notes about the dish such as how far ahead you can prepare a sauce, how to store it, or what it means to French a piece of meat. You also get the expected number of servings the recipe will create. I also appreciate the nice index and the way the flaps on the front and back covers can be used to mark your place in the recipe you want to work with. While the book is a paperback, the quality of the cover material and the pages within the book show that it is clearly meant to be used in the kitchen and get close to the action.

A really nice book and the kind of quality I have come to expect from Emeril Legasse, as chef whom I admire and feel gratitude towards for the way he has shown me how to cook.

Reviewed by Craig Matteson, Ann Arbor, MI
on August 9, 2013
I had read the good reviews and decided to surprise my husband with the Emeril Grilling Cookbook. I couldn't wait for him so I opened it as soon as it came and it has a nice selection of recipes for the grill with that special Emeril touch. He was very happy and we have picked out several recipes to make before summer ends here. Love buying the used books. This one looks like new.
on December 21, 2012
I like to do "theme" BBQs, and I had hoped that this book would be filled with lots of "bam" recipes. It's not. It's a perfectly fine book, but not quite what I had hoped for. Related to my "theme" BBQs, I found Mario Batali's grilling book excellent and just what I wanted.
on January 3, 2016
Great recipes for the grill lover in your life!! All of the recipes that we have made from this book have been easy to understand and follow and the food has turned out fantastic. I would also say that most of the ingredients in the book are easy to find at the grocery store.
on August 29, 2011
Emeril provides a great book with more than just basic recipes
for the grill. Nice to try some different things to spice up our
summer grilling...none of these seem complicated...which is nice
for easy summers!
on July 2, 2012
There is seldom a dish created by Emril I don't like. This grilling cookbook is no exception! The recipes are easy to intermediate and absolutely flavorful! The Southwest Turkey Burgers delicious and juicy (which is difficult to obtain in a turkey burger...since turkey is lean and tends to dry out easier). For Father's Day, I made Emril's Delmonico Steaks (which is served at the Venetian Hotel Las Vegas) and for desert the grilled banana splits with hot fudge and rum caramel sauce...everyone LOVED them!!!! The banana split was like an up-scaled split...take the time to make the rum caramel sauce...it makes the desert...an absolute creamy dream in your mouth!!! The only minor complaint I may have is....periodically a recipe may start on one page end on another...I don't like turning pages when cooking, but that being said, great cookbook!
on August 31, 2009
Emeril's latest cookbook is fabulous. I was initially concerned that the recipes would necessitate too many unusual ingredients - not so. The recipes are uncomplicated, fast and really delicious. If you're not that familiar with grilling, don't expect lessons on "how to" but give it try, the outcome will be worth it.
on July 13, 2009
I am not a huge Emeril fan but when I picked up this cookbook and started to read some of the recipes, I knew I had to try them! I bought it and glad I did. There lots of great recipes that are easy to make and tasty. I have tried a few and one of my favorites is the Rhode Island Frozen Lemonade. YUM! Great for hot summer days. It was a bit time consuming but well worth it. The hardest part was getting all the ingredients ready, but after that and putting it in my ice cream maker, it was ready in 25 mins. My dad loved it. He is on a soft foods only diet right now and this was a nice little treat!
158 of Emeril's Grilling recipes with his touch of heat and creativity. Although he includes many of the standard Grill fare such as steaks and chicken, etc., most all of these has his signature touch with spice or rubs or sauce which as he is prone to say "kick it up a notch or two."

What I especially enjoy about this collection is the creativity he brings, with such unusual dishes as: Chocolate Stuffed Apples on the Grill; Beer Can Turkey Breast with BBQ Gravy; Kicked-Up Fish in a Bag; Arctic Char with a Pear-Butter Sauce;Swordfish with Cider Vinagerrette and an Apple-Endive Slaw; Vietnamese-Style Grilled Pork Po'Boy;Grilled Cauliflower with Roasted Shallot-Garlic Butter; Grilled Sweet Potato Salad; Summer Citrus, Ginger and Raspberry Punch.

Not all recipes have color photos accompanying, but those that do are very nice full sheet, full color appetizing shots. There are grill helps as well as some source info.

So a nice full program of grilling fun from drinks to sides to entrees to desserts. One can have a great time cooking through this one.
on June 21, 2010
We'll be living out of this cookbook for the summer months. Fresh ingredients, plenty of fresh herbs, novel combinations. There's a section on drinks made with warm season fruits +/- alcohol. So many different takes on BBQ from around the world...adobo, jerk, bronzini, kabobs, Mediterranean, Asian...all good. Lots of creative and fresh side dishes. And of course, a final chapter on sweets. I even ordered several copies for friends.