5.0 out of 5 stars Simply An Amazing Show
Published on August 27, 2011 by George Farris

I have just about everything that has ever been released by ELP, except maybe those Manticore Bootleg releases from several years back. I guess I'm not entirely compulsive about ELP, but they were always an important part of my life.

Published on October 16, 2011 by Rykre

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply An Amazing Show, August 27, 2011
This is quite simply an amazing show. I just got the DVD of it today, and it looks and sounds very good, indeed. The song listing is the same as the double disc CD that came out late last year. You can still hear the squeals and screeches that were heard on the CD. However, the squeals do not seem as annoying to me on this DVD. It's not a perfect concert. It does have its mistakes. The picture quality is suberb, with the images clear and crisp. Really nice use a camera angels make this show all the more pleasing to the eye. Great lighting as well. Nice visuals. Additionally, the color schemes are very good. According to the info on Amazon the single disc runs 210 min., however that is not correct. A bit of a typo, I'm afraid. Total time is 120 minutes. The concert runs 91:45, and the new documentary runs 28:15. The documentary consists of Emerson, Lake & Palmer along with the live concert director, the DVD editor, and the producer as they talk about various ELP related topics. The documentary is not one of those discussions with all the participants sitting around some table, instead each person is at a different location, interviewed, then edited as a whole piece. It is well done, though at this moment I've only seen a quick sampling of it. This concert may indeed be their last. Highly recommended for any music fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars because it is the best you can get now from these guys., August 29, 2011
I have seen some other video of these guys and also bought the ELP Beyond the Beginning ripoff and none of them come close to this. The only thing better in some ways is their shortly filmed performance at Isle of Wight.

Song selection of this is good. Half of their first album and Bitches Crystal off of Tarkus are represented here. We also get Pictures at an Exhibition which is announced just like on the original live album of the same name. I have a few hundred concert DVDs but hardly any come close to two hours of solid well perfomed music.

Even Lucky Man is performed this time like it was on the original album complete with drums and the moog solo at the end (it stands out so much that I do dare call it a solo).

Very good and I thought Live at Montreaux was going to be the last. I just have to thank these guys for putting this on at their ages. Carl Palmer is very fit and Emerson looks better than I have seen him before. Except for Lake, these guys almost appear more youthful than at the beginning of the Black Moon era.

Greg, I am sorry but you need to start pedaling that bike old man. I love your voice from the early years and you try very hard here and do achieve for the most part. If you were 100 pounds lighter I know you would blow everyone else away but good enough for me on this performance.

I do really respect Lake and do not mean to appear cruel here but when you have gifted talent like him, I believe you should hone yourself like a marble statue. Palmer is a very solid skinsman and has amazed over the years, he always been consistent.

And finally after years of pondering, who is better; Emerson or Wakeman? A hundred years from now, the music of Wakeman will thrill the ears of many but he will sound like lots of others and will be confused with other composers and keyboardists.

Emerson takes keyboards, turns them into instruments of rock and roll and plays classically tinged music on them. His playing will never be confused with anyone elses.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect? No. Great? Definitely!, October 1, 2011
David Parker (burlington, vermont United States) - See all my reviews
I started watching this with some trepidation, after reading some of the negative reviews here. Yeah, I've known about Keith's hand-dexterity issues, and I'm well aware that Greg is as big as a house now, and has lost some of his vocal ability. At the same time, there isn't a lot of full-length video concerts of these guys, so I was thrilled to know that this was out. Sure, there are a few flubs...Greg's voice isn't what it once was...not everything is perfectly tight. But as Greg points out in the documentary, here they are at sixty-plus years old, playing complex music written and performed when they were in their twenties. Going into this with that conceit, I thoroughly enjoyed this concert. For the most part, these guys still perform near the top of their game, and yes, this is music that is often difficult technically, and would pose a threat to any musician half their ages. And to hear them do most of Tarkus, as well as the bulk of the first album was worth the admission alone. Sure, I wish there had been more from Trilogy and Brain Salad, but they apparently had to cut their set due to time constraints. Anybody who watches this expecting perfection from sixty-year old musicians who hadn't performed together for twelve years is giving this show short shrift! (And Carl Palmer?? Still the third greatest drummer in the world to me, behind just Neil Peart and Bill Bruford!)

3.0 out of 5 stars I bought this BD disc because I love and respect the band. They've been my most favorite band most all of my life, October 16, 2011
Rykre "The Rogue Scholar" (of the vast Western Dystopian Wasteland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Emerson Lake & Palmer - 40th Anniversary Reunion Concert [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)

This concert was okay to watch. As always, Keith and Carl show a great deal of energy with their art of performance. But, they did sound a little slower in their performance for this show, which is expected of any artist performing at their ages. If they were to release this concert as a CD only, I would recommend that they speed up the tape a little bit. Then, it would probably sound just fine.

I feel like I've really watched Greg Lake grow up. I've seen his little changes in his appearance and his probably questionable health issues, all his life. He was definitely a handsome young man in the early seventies. I envied him, as well as admired him, back in his earlier days. He was my hero, and I guess he still is. I mean, we are all grower older, and some of us are a little thicker than we use to be. So Greg, please, take care of yourself and get some exercise, and start eating right. If you're hanging out with Steven Seagal and hitting up all those "all you can eat" buffets up the road, then you need to stop that. I could stand to lose about 20 pounds myself, but you should try to lose about 40. I'm not criticizing you, Greg, I'm just concerned for you. One day, you're not going to be able to perform because of your health, and that will be a sad day for all of us.

Anyway...

This concert did seem like they tried to stick to the limitations of what they've chose to do on stage for the last 20 years. They always seem to open their show with "Karn Evil 9", a few of the same few songs that they feel are the fan's favorites, like "Lucky Man", "Knife-Edge", "From The Beginning", "Tarkus", "Pictures At An Exhibition", "Take a Pebble" and the such, and of course, they'll end the show with an extended take on "Fanfare For The Common Man" with a snippet from "Rondo" and Keith and Carl will do some stage theatrics to entertain the eyes as well as the ears of the audience.

Many of the songs here are the same songs on your Blu-Ray of "Live at Montreux" from 1997, so there really aren't any serious surprises here except maybe "Bitches Crystal", and "The Barbarian."

I have all known DVD's and most all CD's of ELP. I've seen them live in Detroit twice in 1977. First the Works Tour with the orchestra, then they returned as just the three in December of 1977. Then I saw them in Sacramento in 1992 do their comeback "Black Moon" tour. I even have a piece of Victory Records stationary with the signatures of all three of ELP. I truly cherish this because this band is my life. And they are the Godfathers of all Progressive Rock.

So....long live Emerson, Lake, and Palmer!

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Performance, October 26, 2011
BigDavid (North Little Rock, AR) - See all my reviews
The quality of the video and sound on this is EXCELLENT, unfortunatley the performance was an absolute disaster. They were not tight at all - as if they hadn't even prepared for the show. Emerson's playing was especially sloppy and off time often. Palmer's playing was decent, and his usual flamboyant solo was up to par, but missing ques in the compositions due to the sloppiness of Emerson. Lake wasn't even trying to hit notes higher than middle C. I was very disappointed with this DVD, but now that I've seen it I don't feel so bad about my decision not to travel to the UK to see this show at the time which I had been tempted to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Concert, September 2, 2011
Note - This concert is Region A & B - Amazon/Concert One have it wrong saying it's locked to Region A
I imported this to the UK and it plays on my Samsung Blu-Ray player and my UK PS3. Ok!
I cannot comment on other regions than A & B, i.e. if it's multi region.

Great concert. I was at the show and was about a dozen people in front of Greg. Brings back a lot of memories.
A shame Greg shouting "Feedback, feedback, feedback" has been cut during Tarkus due to well...feedback.
It's on the original High Voltage CD Soundboards and is now down in history on some ELP forums :)

Brilliant picture and just a shame they didn't apparently have time to do the planned encore of Pirates.
They had to cut their set short due to overuns by previous bands so I'm told.

Best 90mins I've spent in a long time :)

5.0 out of 5 stars ELP in concert, December 8, 2011
Reggie Merrill (Argenta, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
It brings back memories of the days when Emerson, Lake and Palmer were a hot item. The quality of the movie is very sharp and if you are a die hard ELP fan this is a must.

4.0 out of 5 stars Extra Large Parts..., September 20, 2011
To pull together 3 of the most innovative musicians for a '40 year' Anniversary concert was no small feat. It has been 12+ years since ELP had played together, and while this filmed concert had it's share of typical live event problems, the guys really pulled off a great show. It was great to see that legendary left hand of Keith's up close. Carl was in top form, and though 'life' had filled out Greg some, the voice was spot on (unlike some senior rockers) Had I known about this concert, I might have booked a flight to the UK. I have seen ELP every time they have been in the LA area since 1975. Cal-Jam, Anaheim Convention Center (where I purchased 12 seats right in front of the FOH mixing desk and had to round up 11 friends to go with) Last time was Irvine Meadows, where I introduced my kids to ELP.
The 'making of' video is a nice addition - explaining how this all come about. I don't know if ELP will do anything like this concert again, but I thank them for doing this DVD. It's so hard to describe their music and performance to those who have never experienced it. It was great to see all varied ages in the audience - and all seemed to be very serious fans.
Technically, the video was well shot, but the Dolby 5.1 mix was a bit uninteresting. A dts or a Blu-ray disc with Dolby-HD would have been fun to listen to, as ELP have always been very inventive when it comes to their sound (live or in studio).
If you are an ELP fan, you need this DVD. If you would like to see and hear 3 guys play really complex rock/jazz/classical based music with NO sequencers and NO auto-tune, check'em out. (The proof is the Moog Modular still can't stay in tune...)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the memories!, September 18, 2011
The band was offer the opportunity to play a reunion concert on this High Voltage festival where all began for them in 1970. So they accepted, even if they didn't play together for 12 years. They only had 5 days of rehersal, we know how it can be difficult to play on a open air festival and have a great sound. I didn't expect the band to play at his highest level as they did in the past, so i simply try to enjoy the show. First i had problem with the sound, it was so low that i have to put my volume up, and then i realise that it was a single audio-track 5.1 sound. For a Blu-Ray, you expect a DTS-HD sound, but i don't know why they didn't do it. The picture quality is excellent like we have never seen ELP in this kind of clarity. The band had some problem with their equipements, but never to a point of being a distraction from the overall performance, who was not perfect, but very enjoyable for any ELP fans. The band add a time constrained, so the concert was short (91 minutes).

There is also a 29 minutes interview with the band, some journalist and people who worked with the band. One interesting comment came from Greg Lake's mouth, when it said : "if we had not took the orchestra turn, we could have made more innovative albums..." The question is why they did that turn? A commercial move? And why they lost what it takes to make innovative albums when they came back as a trio with "Love Beach".

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely blown away!, May 26, 2014
Maybe it was because my expectations were low going into viewing this live performance, but whatever it was, Emerson Lake and Palmer live at High Voltage completely blew me away. I think my reservations were rooted in the fact that the fellows were not going to be nearly as good in 2013 as they were in 1972. Is Carl Palmer trying to relive past glories with his overlong drum solo's? yes. Is Kieth Emerson guilty of the same thing by stabbing his keyboard with knives? yes. Is Greg Lake starting to resemble George Wendt from Cheers? Absolutely. Do I care? Not one iota. The fact is, although ELP are not as uniformly tight as they were in the 70's, they are still a musical force to be reconed with in their 60's reminding all of those that came after them in the world of progressive rock to respect the technical virtuosity that was on display at this performance. The best thing about this performance is the set list. So many times when watching these classic bands live I am let down by the song selection. ELP wisely play the stuff the people want to hear. When Take A Pebble goes into Tarkus I almost lost my mind! What a brilliant idea and what flawless execution! They also cover most of Pictures From An Exhibition. Greg Lake cannot sing as well as he did back in the day but most musicians from that era cant. He truly did have one of the greatest singing voices of all time. Emerson and Palmer on the other hand are absolute beasts at their craft. Carl's aformentioned drumming is utterly stunning and a treasure to behold on my surround sound. This concert is a must for the not to picky and fans of the band.

Emerson Lake & Palmer - 40th Anniversary Reunion Concert [Blu-ray]