4.0 out of 5 stars Will Not Replace My Original Pizza Stones
I have had a set of pizza tiles that I have used for years. This product takes pizza stones to the next level as it can be used for searing meat and can be used on the grill. However, pizza and bread are what I am used to cooking on stones so I wanted to base my review on something I know.

Pizza for me can come out different every time I make it, depending on...
Published on July 27, 2011 by Dianne Socci-Tetro

3.0 out of 5 stars Depends on what you want to use it for....
Published on August 15, 2011 by B. Caruso

4.0 out of 5 stars Will Not Replace My Original Pizza Stones, July 27, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Pizza for me can come out different every time I make it, depending on toppings and so forth, the bigger issue is that I generally make a larger pie than this tile can handle. Now, my recipe for Italian bread dinner rolls is consistent, and consistently good, and there is no constriction due to size So is the recipe I chose to use the first time I used this new stone.

I put the stone on the bottom shelf and preheated to 500 to see if the stone could handle the temperatures with which I like to cook pizza and Italian rolls. Then set my rolls to rising. Soon it was time to bake.
The first issue I faced was the handles getting in the way of my paddle. I had to sort of wobble my rolls onto the stone, but with a little patience I got all 8 of them on. I set the timer at 12 minutes. I had about half of my dough left so I decided to make a small loaf to see how the stone would do in that area as well. I checked the rolls at 11 minutes and they were gorgeous dark gold and perfect.
The surface of the stone is truly non-stick so removal of the rolls was a breeze and I was able to put the new loaf in the oven immediately. Twenty minutes later, the loaf was done...and beautiful... as well.

On to the tasting: It made a loaf with a nice crust, excellent color, and perfect moist interior. It was delicious. I couldn't buy a better bread.

So I like this stone particularly for its easy cleaning and its versatility. It is perfect for making small batches or individual pizzas.

The handle size is my only complaint, since they take away from overall size of this already small griddle/baking stone. This makes baking a family sized pizza or a large loaf of free form bread much harder than it needs to be

I don't think that product will be replacing my original pizza stones, but it is an interesting addition that will do other things.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Baking Stone with Grilling Flexibility, August 9, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I own several baking stones and after two weeks of use, this one is now the one I grab first. The glazing makes clean-up easy and yes, I realize it shouldn't matter, but the finish keeps the appearance of the baking stone very attractive. This is a beautiful piece of equipment. It is dishwasher safe, but I will probably always just wipe if off because of concern that a soap flavor may somehow be absorbed and affect the taste of the food.

The fact that it can withstand temperatures up to 750 degrees is a significant improvement over my other baking stones which shouldn't be used at temperatures above 425 degrees. The stone should be preheated if used on the grill, or for baking bread or pizza, but not if baking cookies or the dough will begin to melt when placed on the stone.

The oatmeal cookies I baked had a lovely crunchy outside texture and a chewy middle, but sufficient time was needed for the stone to cool down before the next group could be placed on the stone, slowing my progress considerably. Allowing for this cooling-off time may make the use of a baking stone for cookie making, inconvenient if a big batch is planned.

Avoid thermal shock to prevent cracking the stone. Heating the stone and putting room temperature pizza dough or bread dough on it is fine, but a frozen pizza on a hot stone is probably asking for trouble.

Bread and pizza cooked on baking stones are significantly improved with a crispy crust unattainable from baking either directly on the oven rack, or on a metal baking sheet. Additionally, when not in use for baking, the stone may be kept on the bottom rack of the oven to help regulate the temperature, providing even heat. I find less loss of heat when I open and close the oven door when the stone is present.

The difference in this baking stone over others that I own is it may be used on both the grill and in the oven - and that flexibility earns this kitchen tool five stars. In the summer, use it on the grill and in the winter use it in the oven - it is useful year-round use and looks handsome, too.

4.0 out of 5 stars with a little tinkering in a little kitchen this could become a useful favorite, October 22, 2011
This review is from: Emile Henry Rectangular Baking Stone, Figue (Kitchen)
So far I've used this baking stone with chicken, roasted vegetables, and pizza in an electric oven at temps up to 500 degrees with very good but not stellar results. Here's my take on it:

Positives:
I love the Figue color - it is a real show-stopper in the kitchen and part of the reason I purchased this particular stone over others.
I like that it can be used with virtually any heat application. Handles super high temperatures with aplomb.
Cleans up easily even in a dishwasher which btw I would not try because of the ability for the unglazed part to absorb soap residue.
No need for a cutting board is another big plus.

Negatives:
Oddly enough - the color; I did not know when I bought it that the black version has a matte surface as opposed to the smooth glossy one of the other colors offered; I have since read a review that suggests the black/matte version can make a better pizza crust.
Built in handles reduce the size of pizza or other baked goods I can make.
The smooth finish makes the thin crusts a little "slicker" than I'd like and it is a little less crispy than my old unglazed stone which I broke when attempting to use it on an outdoor grill. I can remedy this somewhat by using a little cornmeal on the stone to rough the crust up a bit or I've even turned the stone over and baked on the "wrong" side which gives me a slightly crisper crust. Still a little deficient in the crust creating department in my opinion.

In my small kitchen this baking stone may not be perfect at cooking any one thing (especially pizza) but it is versatile enough and has enough work-arounds to accommodate any recipe quirks.

Rather than try to store four or five large baking pans for each thing I like to cook, I'm eager to discover how I can bring out the best in this stone and how it can bring out the best in my favorite recipes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Depends on what you want to use it for...., August 15, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am using the Emile Henry Baking Stone exclusively for baking... The pros are: It's easier to handle when hot than my more traditional, porous pizza stone, thanks to the build in handles which are easy to grip with silicone mitts. I like the idea of being able to use this as somewhat of a cookie sheet while hopefully reaping the benefits of baking on stone and the reputedly crisp enhancing "micro-crazed" glaze. I really like the idea that this can go on a grill, but our local fire ordinance is preventing me from testing that usage at this time. The first thing I baked on it were simple oatmeal/shortbread cookies. They came out very crispy, but more than half of them broke in attempts to loosen them from the surface of the stone. The stone needed a good scrubbing to remove the cookies crusts that would not just loosen up on their own. I do bake bread quite frequently, as commercially available breads have ingredients that are contraindicated to a medical condition my son and I have. I love baking bread and pizza from scratch and while I have been happy with my current pizza stone (the porous beige-y kind), the idea of a washable surface is quite appealing as I have spilled a number of toppings on my stone, though the performance doesn't seem impacted by the spills, it would be nice to be able to give it an easy scrub down once in awhile. The bread did come out crispy and more evenly baked, on the Emile Henry stone than on my regular stone, without any charring on the bottom. I made cheese bread, and the overflow of melted cheese on the stone was easily plucked off with silicone tongs, whereas I'd probably just let it burn off on my regular stone. Pizza wasn't as thrilling of an experience. I found that it made the bottom crust crispy but the crisped layer seemed much thicker and less thin cripsy-the way that I usually like it when I make it on my other stone. Also, I love a little bit of char on the underside of my pizza, which this stone did not allow because it just cooked *that* evenly and I would have risked charring my fresh mozzarella at the same time if I had baked it long enough to get the char that I get in less time on my regular stone. I think this is a wonderful stone, if you are planning on using it for breads. For other baked goods, I would go for a heavy duty cookie sheet over this stone. For pizza, I prefer the beige-y porous stones. Someday, when I have access to a grill, I'll sear something up on this and I'll report back (after I finish feasting!)... I think that is probably what this is best suited for...

5.0 out of 5 stars So much better than a standard pizza stone., September 27, 2011
I bought this to replace an aging, cheapo, 12 inch round pizza stone. This is a fantastic replacement. It's larger size means I need to be much less accurate with the pizza placement, and it can accommodate larger pizzas than most stones. It also seems to maintain its heat very well -- in a 550 degree oven, it will read 550 with an infrared thermometer and still at 540 after baking a pizza on it for 6 minutes. I've done about a dozen pizzas in a row at a dinner party, and it never dropped below about 530. My old stone would drop to 450 after one pizza, and be at about 400 after several pizza in a row and the crust would be noticeably less crispy. I've also used it with great success for bread baking, pizza slice reheating, and broiling peppers, which isn't what I bought it for but turn out to be nice bonus uses.

My only complaint is that it doesn't clean up quite as easily as I expected it to. I'm wary of putting it in the dishwasher even though it claims to be dishwasher safe, so I've just attacked it with some soap, water, and a plastic sponge and it took a lot of elbow grease to get some of the burned-on pizza bits off. Even so, it definitely cleans up better than a regular pizza stone, and I'm very, very happy with my purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware the Ceramic Coating!, November 23, 2013
I purchased this baking stone as a birthday gift for my wife. She is on the hunt to bake the perfect loaf of bread and to do this a baking stone is a must. The instructions that came with the stone we sparse to say the least, but we had directions in our bread book for how to use the stone. The first loaf worked out well, but I noticed that the stone gave off a smell. We have pets in the house and I checked on them to make sure the smell had not bothered them. Everything was good, until the second baking. During the second baking the stone did not smell as bad, but it must have given off more fumes because we found our small budgie dead in the bottom of his cage, we also found our parrot of twenty eight years dead, he was in the next room. This was a very heart breaking event. We knew that non stick cookware gives off fumes that are poison to birds but we never dreamed that the ceramic coating on this bread stone would do the same. I wish that the owners manual would have had a caution or that the company would have at least responded to my email that I sent them. Please keep your birds safe and beware all non stick cookware in the house. Do not let this horrible accident happen to you and your pets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and versatile baking stone, August 14, 2011
Media Man (Minneapolis, MN USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
To be completely honest, the kitchen isn't one of my favorite places to be. I'm not a foodie and don't enjoy cooking any more than I have to (although I do enjoy the food!). That being said, anything to get me excited about cooking is worth a shot. My coworker (a fanatical foodie) has been pestering me about getting a baking stone for several years now. I always thought about it, and then reconsidered when I saw the stone prices. Lucky for me Amazon Vine was gracious enough to offer my kitchen this Emile Baking Stone for me to test out. Here are my thoughts;

Pros

+ Dishwasher safe. Easily cleans up manually as well.

+ Usable on a grill.

+ Cooks food thoroughly without burning the bottom/sides.

+ Sleek black finish.

+ Handles on the side make for easy oven removal and carrying.

+ Perfect shape for pizzas, grilling and baked goods.

Cons

- A bit of extra care is needed when preparing the stone for cooking.

- Bottom of the stone doesn't have black finish. Not really a big deal honestly.

The Emile Henry Rectangular Baking Stone was a more than welcome addition to my kitchen. I use it regularly for homemade/frozen pizzas, baking cookies and cooking meats. My only regret is that I didn't own one sooner. Thumbs up.

5.0 out of 5 stars does everything on my wish-list for a pizza stone, September 12, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This pizza stone is as big as most cookie sheets (18 x 14 inches) and remarkably heavy--it's a very-solid 1/2 inch thick, and made out of clay. So the weight initially comes as a bit of a shock, but it works beautifully. If you have a normal oven (like I do), then you should toss this into the oven at 500 degrees when you're STARTING your pizza dough, so it will be very hot the entire way through when you're finally ready for it 30-90 minutes later. Then when you put your dough on top of it, it starts to bake immediately while you're layering the sauce and toppings above it. This even temperature makes it bake more evenly, and ultimately gives it more of a "real" pizza texture.

The glazing on the top and sides holds the heat in even more effectively... plus means you can cut directly on the stone when you pull it out from the oven (haven't seen any scratch marks yet, although I haven't had mine for long), AND makes it dishwasher safe. I got a free pizza stone a few years ago (for opening a bank account somewhere), and that one says not only should you hand-wash, but you should avoid SOAP or you'll change the flavor of things cooked on the stone. So having this one be not only washable but dishwasher-safe is a huge bonus. So far I have zero complaints.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful & Functional, May 6, 2012
I received this baking stone in the beautiful slate (poivre) color and it arrived quickly and safely! The stone is not too heavy, but still handle it with care. The finish on the stone covers the handles, the sides, and the top of the baking stone while the back remains unglazed.

I baked three 5 inch pizzas and a pizza pocket on it last night and they all came out wonderfully crispy and bubbly. Even though I baked smaller pizzas, I don't think it would be a problem if you wanted to bake a 10-12 inch pizza on the stone because of the 18 inch x 14 inch surface. I also love how the pizza stone is virtually nonstick! I don't even have a pizza peel at the moment so I just used a wooden spatula and a cutting board that I dusted with cornmeal to help the pies move onto the stone. It seems to work for me :) Also, the stone is VERY HOT when it comes out of the oven, so please be careful and wear thick oven mitts to remove it! (I used a combination of oven mitts and pot holders.)

Clean up didn't take long. I used a sponge with a scour pad and some Palmolive soap, and within ten minutes, I had almost everything off. However, if you've got sauce stuck onto the pizza stone like I did, and the stuff has blackened on the stone, then you're gonna need a bit of elbow grease to get it off.

Overall, the Emile Henry Baking Stone is a wonderful product for any home baker. It makes lovely pizzas that are not soggy (like the ones you get on a metal baking sheet), but are actually crispy and delicious! It's a great investment because you can also bake bread and cookies and other wonderful treats on it (something I'm looking forward to doing soon). You'll be the envy of your friends. Heck, they might even ask to borrow yours!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pizza stone, January 21, 2012
I love this pizza stone. I had a very basic round one which lasted quite a while but it eventually did break. I purchased this one based on the recommendation of the pizza school in NY- specifically the black Emile Henry stone. I chose the rectangular shape because frequently my pizzas were almost as large as my old round stone- so difficult to place them without anything spilling over. The rectangular shape is more forgiving- but I also leaned a trick. Once I shape my dough I put it on a piece of parchment paper, load on the toppings and then with the help of a Nordic Ware Cake lifter ( much better than my wooden pizza peel) transfer it onto the stone. After 2-3 minutes, the crust is set enough to lift up an edge and pull out the parchment.
My pizzas have never been better. They cook faster on this stone than they did on my old one- really the best crust I have ever made.

Emile Henry Rectangular Baking Stone, Figue