5.0 out of 5 stars Seeing through Emily's eyes
My sister handed me Emily's book, and said, "Happy Birthday!" I'm afraid I didn't get much work done that day, because I read the entire book.
Published on August 8, 2009 by Jewel Yoder

3.0 out of 5 stars ok read
i can somewhat relate with emily..being sick constantly does suck and i know cause i have lupus and fibromyalgia which totals daily chronic pain and chronic fatigue...im happy it was just food allergies and nothing more major..when your young you need to explore...im very happy for her and wish her good health and happiness.
Published 22 months ago by Dol

5.0 out of 5 stars Seeing through Emily's eyes, August 8, 2009
This review is from: Emily: My True Story of Chronic Illness and Missing Out On Life (Louder Than Words) (Paperback)
Emily writes with blunt honesty about the difficulty and the constant disappointments of living with a chronic illness. It was so descriptive that I felt like I should be weak and tired and sick afterwards! Her book helps me, as a disgustingly healthy person, to understand that it is not romantic and cool to be fragile and delicate and skinny, it is evidence that something is wrong! She lends her eyes to me for a few pages, and the world is completely different as I look through them.
No doubt those who struggle with chronic illnesses would find this book encouraging.
For an author of her age, it is well-written-- far better than what is typically expected of teen authors. I recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Emily (Louder Than Words), August 7, 2009
A must read! I really enjoyed the book. Emily Smucker writes in such a way that one can feel what she's going through, whether it's discouragement about being sick, happiness about improvements of her health, or a funny story about something that happened to her. I found the book very encouraging as, though she faced many struggles and questions, she trusted God through it all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, March 13, 2012
Highly recommended for children dealing with chronic illness. Very honest and accurate portrayal. Although I am an adult living with lupus, even I could resonate with her story. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting..., September 26, 2009
Emily is plagued with some sort of cold, fever, or bizarre aches and pains for much of her life. Emily thought that the dizziness and stomachaches at the beginning of her senior year, were just another bout of "Emily Flu." But when it didn't go away, she knew that something was very wrong. After a tons of tests, she is eventually diagnosed with the rare and incurable West Nile virus. Emily watches her senior year and her future go up in smoke.
I could relate to Emily's story. I have been sick for almost three years and didn't get answers for a long time. Emily was a great writer and I enjoyed her story. I think that anyone that has had a serious illness could relate to this. You should check it out either way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Drawn in to a real story, August 20, 2009
I worried a little before reading this, when I heard Emily had compiled blog posts and journal entries, along with new material, for her book. Some blogs can bog down in tedium at times. I joyfully discovered, though, Emily's talent for lively story-telling as she makes her way through happy moments and disappointments. Her book's pages truly become a narrative, with Emily as a character I came away feeling a connection with. She narrates against the backdrop of her home's setting and her family's loyal compassion for her throughout the months of her illness.

I recommend getting to know this story of Emily, and I'm glad she could share it with truth, humor, and refreshing quirkiness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for teens, August 20, 2009
I am a 50 something woman, and I found that age is no barrier to enjoying Emily's book. She has a wonderfully fresh voice. Her innate sense of humor made me laugh out loud. Her book feels so honest, sometimes painfully so. Anyone of any age who has suffered with a long term disease or disability will relate to Emily's journey. If you are a teen, or can remember being one, you may find a kindred spirit in Emily. I hope that this will be but the first of many books by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Resilience, August 17, 2009
I bought the book for my 11-year old daughter. I fully intended to read it as well, and I was not disappointed! Emily had me laughing one minute and crying the next. The word that best describes her journey is resilience, with a large dose of humor mixed in so she can cope. She is a very mature 18 year old.

5.0 out of 5 stars Readers will enjoy hearing about the brighter side of the tunnel, September 22, 2009
HCI's Louder Than Words series features stories about serious issues from real teens who have experienced them.

Emily Smucker was looking forward to her senior year in high school before being diagnosed with the rare and incurable West Nile virus. After that she never feels good, but still manages to move toward a positive future. Emily is a Mennonite, which adds an interesting layer of faith questions and an unusual setting for her story. Taken from Emily's blog during her long period of illness, her account will draw readers in to her plight as well as her strong spirit.

Senior year was supposed to be awesome. Emily was going to produce a play, film lots of movies, take some courses at the community college, maybe get a job, and enjoy her new driver's license. A flu seems to be plaguing her, but then she has always caught lots of bugs. Her father is a teacher at the Mennonite school, which only has 32 students, so any absence is a big deal. Emily keeps going to school whenever she feels even a little ok.

Soon the days when she feels even a little ok are rare. Her mother takes her for a battery of blood tests that sometimes get lost or are inconclusive. One doctor finally thinks she has the West Nile virus. Each time she starts feeling even a little better, she lapses back into periods of hazy illness when she can't even think straight to do homework. Instead of looking forward to a year of achievement and fun, she is now worried about graduation. She is left out of the school Christmas play, then the family spring trip, and finds it harder to keep her spirits up. A trip to a sister in North Carolina helps a bit, but the illness comes back strong at times. Using a cane becomes a must.

Emily's writing shows a sense of humor, a love of her family, and a strong faith that help her through an impossible year. In the middle of being stuck in her bed for a long time, she will post funny blog entries about her room or her friends like a normal, healthy teen, turning this very serious story into an engaging read. The West Nile virus does eventually lessen its grip on victims who live through it, and Emily is able to begin piecing together a future, even if her senior year did not go according to her excited plans. Readers of EMILY will enjoy hearing about the brighter side of the tunnel.

--- Reviewed by Amy Alessio

4.0 out of 5 stars Another me??, October 6, 2013
This book was crazy! My name is Emily and i have had a chronic illness for a few years, my mom gave me this to read and help me maybe feel a little bit better. I guess she thought i would like being able to relate and realize i'm not the only one. But it was so weird to read! It was almost my exact story, i could practically know what would happen on the next page before reading it, I'm convinced someone has been stalking me and wrote a book about it. haha!

3.0 out of 5 stars ok read, January 9, 2013